Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 25 June 2001
I found The Masque of the Gonzagas. enormously enjoyable. Every now and then, while reading it, I had a jump of surprise and pleasure, often at the tiniest detail and intimation of the scholarship of this talented authoress. The Duke playing cards and observing, poker- faced, that he had a hand full of cups, for instance. I wonder how many readers will be aware that our present-day playing cards originated with the lesser Arcana of the Tarot in which swords, cups, clubs and money were the four suits? And again, the reference to the bravos. I think this is only the second time I have come across this term, the first being when I read The Betrothed. The medical details, too, were excellent and wonderfully free from the usual howlers. It's a gripping book, that, remarkably, succeeds in combining elegant and literary writing, fascinating content and brilliant colour with that quality of interest-usually to be found only in a much inferior class of writing- that has the reader turning the pages almost before they are read. The book had another effect on this reader and, I hope, will have on many others. Since I finished it I have been listening repeatedly to Claudio Monteverdi's madrigals. They are not immediately appealing but, on repetition, their wonderful qualities gradually become apparent. After reading Clare Colvin's novel I feel I know the guy and am a bit ashamed that for all these years I've been neglecting his music. She has painted a
graphic and compelling portrait of this remarkable man. I am so grateful to Miss Colvin for bringing Monteverdi to my attention-and for giving me such an absorbing and satisfying read. I'm sure that many other readers will have the same reaction to both aspects.
on 4 February 2016
this book arrived promptly, and "as new". Gives an enlightening insight into Renaissance Mantua, and court life: would interest any italophile or anyone interested in the composer Monteverdi.
on 1 May 2013
A true historical novel, setting people in a wonderfully written, beautifully descriptive (you can smell the marshes!!), well characterised slice of real time and place.
on 19 September 2000
I was born in the Italian Town (Mantova) where the Gonzagas had their court. I thought I knew everything about them, but this book has revealed to me new things. It is a very exciting book and easy to read.
on 31 May 2016
what was i thinking when i bought this?!