5.0 out of 5 stars Good things come to those who wait...
Although I downloaded this from Amazon on the day of release, I was determined to bide my time in terms of posting a review, as I believe good music takes its own time to seep into your consciousness and reveal its true identity. One week on, I can tell you that The Take Off And Landing Of Everything has arms. They slowly but surely wrap themselves around you, caressing...
Published 12 months ago by Hampton Caught

3.0 out of 5 stars Lacks 'hanger appeal'
Friends told me that this album took some getting into. Considering myself an Elbow fan, and having seen them perform several tracks live, I bought it with expectation - but reduced expectation. However, it's taken so long to get into it that it's back on the shelf and likely to stay there. Sorry, but this just doesn't have the musical equivalent of 'hanger appeal'. Those...
Published 8 months ago by Chris Brooke

‹ Previous | 1 2 341 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 23 May 2014
Elbow show once again their genius in song writing,New york morning,my sad captains,are up there with the best. Listening to this album made me book to see them live,which was a brilliant night.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Elbow, 25 April 2014
P. J. Bullough "70's child." (Shrewsbury, England) - See all my reviews
Wow! If you're a long-standing Elbow fan you've probably bought this already and will be enjoying its multiple felicities. If you're new to the band probably best to start with 'Leaders of the Free World' or 'The Seldom Seen Kid'. This new album, however, is possibly their best ever overall, as 'Q' noticed in their review. Here are a few thoughts on the album: the opening song is enchanting, perfectly paced. They are certainly not in a hurry, and Guy's measured singing draws us into a calm, peaceful, slightly 'Christmassy' place. It's a lovely place to be. Next song still slow, but the tone changes. Guy becomes a bit edgier and touches on one of his favourite themes, the ups and downs of heavy drinking. This is another immersive song, with great use of a string section to build up the effect. Now the tempo picks up with song three, a mesmerising effort with some hypnotic vocals, leading into another song from the heart, also about drinking and smoking and being in love. Don't worry, Guy isn't turning into Phil Collins, although he sings with a similar sincerity when he feels like it, a trait which is rapidly turning him into a national treasure. As a lyricist his range is much wider than Phil's- I won't pursue the comparison. Next up the 'New York' song, instantly accessible winner. Now we hit the heart of the matter with 'Real Life Angel', one of Elbow's greatest ever songs. The first time I heard it I was in the car driving to work, and the emotional impact was so intense that I nearly had to pull over. I've now worked it out on the guitar and I played it at my local last week; it went down well! It's difficult to describe but it's another song that goes deep...man...The cumulative effect of this opening sequence of five songs is pretty overwhelming, and I always stop the cd after 'Real Life Angel' to have a rest. It's a cd of two distinct 'sides'. I'm still absorbed in the brilliance of this opening salvo, and haven't listened so much to the second half, so I might do an update later on. Getting to know this album takes time and in my case is an ongoing 'work in progress', but one which is worth the effort. It's great that they've made such a superb album after the less-than-great 'Build a rocket boys'. Get listening!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 12 April 2014
M. Howell "Mike" (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Take Off And Landing Of Everything [Double Lp Set] [VINYL] (Vinyl)
What a beautiful album. Always "quite liked" Elbow but to me this is something very, very special.

One word of warning - the vinyl is pressed at 45 RPM and tells you in the tiniest of print!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mapped on my window, 4 April 2014
Better, more qualified brains than mine will comment on musicality or the timbre of the stanzas. All I can reflect on is how I feel in response to the experience of The Take Off & Landing of Everything.
There's always some anxiety that a well-loved artist will miss the mark, but not so here. Within one listen the melodies were my pulse; tho I do wish Mr Garvey would stop going through the bins of my soul for his lyrics. For me, the magic of Elbow is that the music feels like it was made only for me. Thank you guys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Elbow - The Take Off and Landing of Everything, 30 Mar. 2014
I loved The Seldom Seen Kid but was slightly disappointed with Let's Build a Rocket Boys - a lot of good tracks but not as consistent as 'Kid'. This album is almost as good as 'Kid' and I think after a few more listens I think it'll equal if not better it. There's a lovely feel to this album and I like it a lot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give yourself to this delight, 28 Mar. 2014
I first discovered elbow after hearing Newborn from Asleep in the Back. I purchased the album on the strength of that song alone and found what I consider is one of the most beautiful and intelligent albums ever. It was nominated for a mercury to my delight, and didn't win to my surprise. Such a cracking album and my all-time favourite.

The follow up album Cast of Thousands was something of a disappointment at the time, but I have grown to love it after hearing the songs live. I think it was the prosaic "not a job" that did it in for me, a bland snow patrol effort and I was worried that they were going in that direction. However, most of the rest of the album is truly excellent.

It was about this time the guys did a brilliant skiffle version of Destiny's Child's independent women, which made me realise this was a band with great musicianship but did not take themselves too seriously. Google it if you haven't heard it. Charlie, how do yer get yer angels to get down like that?

Leaders of the Free World is elbow's lost album, which is a great shame since it is outstanding. For those of you who found elbow via One Day Like This, you should listen to this album with its uplifting sing along anthems such as Station Approach and Forget Myself. This is the album in which Guy gained his confidence with his observations "Saint Peter in satin, he's like Buddha with mace" and what is sheer poetry "I pull out the stops/And you, you pull the plug". To this day, the sublime Great Expectations remains my favorite song.

No need to talk about the next album but it was as successful artistically as it was commercially, a rare beast.

Build a rocket boys had a hard act to follow. Yes, it is formulaic and yes, it was rushed, but it is still a fine album, just not as good as it could or should have been. Still, one I return to a lot. How can you not love concepts like "cigarette senate".

So now we have the Take Off and Landing of Everything. And I have to say it is a delicate and measured work of art. Elbow have always rewarded listeners of patience and this album does not disappoint with its sardonic and wistful, often acerbic observation, with breathtaking musicianship. As a lyricist, Guy gives himself entirely, raw nerves and honesty. The opener, This Blue World is initially unsettling with a funereal organ segueing into spacey wistfulness, speaking of sorrow and regret. Charge is a typical elbow wry detailing, funny/sad and with a great hook. Fly Boy Blue/Lunette reads like Guy's diary entries, an internal dialogue or stream of consciousness, again sardonic but reeking of loss. The skiffle verses release to Kid A psyche horns, brilliant stuff. FBB drifts down to the folky Lunette for the remainder. New York Morning is more of a friendly punch (gentle shoulder charge?) to a city than a Paen... Real life (Angel) is my favourite track of the album, a mesmerising, lovely track. Watching sunrise from the mountain listening to this is magical. Honey Sun is a highly unusual track, layers of rythmic motifs, Guy being wistful and sad again (poor chap). My Sad Captains is a weirdly uplifting track; it's musically a military march (Captains?) and a bromance anthem, it's warm and fantastic. Colour fields is another rhythmic motif layering, lyrics speaking of getting away and living - build a rocket girl? The title track is next and its a soaring thumping spacey number. It has the more homogeneous sound of Asleep and while a busy track, if you listen, you are rewarded with lots of counterpoints and detail. Wonderful. Another good track to stare at vistas with. On the final track, Guy is basically channeling early Peter Gabriel with the electronica and ebb and flow.

So again an excellent effort all around. elbow have evolved into a majestic outfit and I don't doubt they will be seen as the Floyd of their age in a couple of decades. I just want to give Guy a big hug and find him a nice girl.

4.5

5.0 out of 5 stars Even more mature Elbow, 18 Mar. 2014
As a self confessed massive Elbow fan, I could probably have guessed at 5 stars for this before its release. Unlike some of the reviewers on here, I've always loved the more mellow side of Elbow and this album certainly is their most mellow to date. As one reviewer put it, fans of 'Build a Rocket Boys' will love this, especially as it continues on a similar musical theme. The fact that there are not really any specific standout tracks seems to me to be more an indication that this album flows quite beautifully as a complete body of work.

In conclusion, this is more of a real 'sit down and listen' album than a collection of songs with an anthem or two for TV producers to latch onto.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely one of their best albums yet, 18 Mar. 2014
As good as The Seldom Seen Kid, with Guy Garvey's vocals making you believe every word he sings.

I can't stop listening to 'My Sad Captains'. I would recommend this album to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely f***ing love Elbow, 17 Mar. 2014
I love the restraint, the lyrics, Garvey's plaintive, vulnerable voice, the atmosphere, the humour, the cover (gatefold and beautiful in this vinyl release) but most of all I love that this album was recorded in Salford by a proper Northern band who are great mates and came together naturally. You can't beat the intuitive feel of a band like this - you can't put people together, they have to find each other. Excellent and real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius!, 30 May 2014
I wasn't too sure about this new record when I heard This Blue World, but I was not to be disappointed! This is a brilliant album, right up with their best work.
Guys writing is at its peak, wonderful symbolic lyrics that perhaps reflect his personal situation at the time of its birth.
Seldom seen kid was an instant love at first listen for me, this record was good but has grown as I've become more familiar, like a lover who isn't just pretty but has depth of character and inner strength you admire and fall in love with.
As an aside if you can see Elbow live do so! I booked tickets before I'd heard any of this new material and boy I wasn't disappointed!

‹ Previous | 1 2 341 | Next ›