on 9 February 2014
This is an Android 4.2 Jelly Bean 10'1 tablet with a keyboard put together to become an
Android Laptop.
It's very similar to the Chromebooks, but with this Lenovo A10 you can have widgets, apps and games, like I said it is just like an android tablet.

The good things about this laptop:

-the price : for less than £200 it's a good solid piece of equipment
-it has a Rockchip RK3188 Cotex-A9 Quad Core Processor - fast and responsive
-the keyboard is very comfortable to use, good for writing emails, blogs etc

The bad things:
- one the worst things about this machine is the internal storage, some might not want to compromise on this.
16gb storage could be adequate for many, BUT you only get 1gb for apps,which is outrageous in today's technology,
Yes it is possible to add extra storage via micro sd card, but you always have to make sure that you transfer the apps to your sd card. Many apps need to stay in the internal memory, so there are not many apps you can have on this machine.
-the screen is 1366x768 it doesn't have a clear or bright display, it's very average

Overall it's a very usable android laptop, great for studying, typing emails, or for commuting.
Don't expect a great ultra fast machine with a bright super hd display though.
44 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 June 2014
I bought this because my Android tablet was beginning to show its age, frequently freezing and taking an age to download the Sunday Times. Various features in some apps would not work properly anymore. I need another Android device as I keep my medical records on my smartphone so I want somehwere else to keep them as a backup, and another device I can use immediately if the smartphone cannot be used.
I have only had the Lenovo A10 for a few days but in that short time I have found nothing seriously wrong with it and much to commend it. It runs the Sunday Times app much better than the earlier tablet. Given the shortcomings of the app itself I would say this device runs it very well. It does everything else the tablet did in a much superior fashion. The solidity of the build is impressive, the keyboard is a great advantage over the plain tablet if you spend a lot of time typing. The various outlets are extremely useful too. I wish more manufacturers would realise that restricting their customers to proprietory connections does not lock people in, it irritates them and drives them to more amenable devices. As does telling them that they can only print to a device made by the same manufacturer as the tablet. Fortunately the A10 is far more user friendly.
I noticed among the reviews some complaints regarding the screen and the speakers. The viewing angles are a little more limited than my earlier tablet but not significantly so to me. The speakers are not particularly good, but adequate for most things. You probably would not use a device like this for HiFi orchestral music anyway.
When I followed the very limited setup guidance, which amounted to 'plug it in, switch it on, and follow the on screen guidance' I hit a problem. The only thing that happened after switching on was the Lenovo name appearing and the disappearing on the screen to be followed by the battery charging symbol. I waited until it was fully charged in case that was the problem then tried several times following the instructions to the letter. No joy! Eventually I used the reset hole in the bottom and that did the trick. Since then there have been no problems. Let's hope that continues.
I think that this device ia an excellent Netbook/Tablet for the price and would suit anyone who does not need the big heavy laptops of today. It is a good alternative to a simple tablet too for those who do not like typing on a screen whilst at the same time providing all the facility of a tablet screen if you want it. Lenovo have done well with this!
on 28 February 2014
There aren't many reviews for this laptop and that's a shame because it is a really useful product. I have always thought android on a laptop is a great idea, but previous attempts have been disappointing. Not so with the Lenovo A10. It looks really nice and has a great responsive touch screen. I have read a few comments about the screen not being the
best and the colours washed out, but to be honest I've not really noticed and it is good enough for me. The viewing angles are not too bad either.

The sound quality is so so, but to be honest, most laptops, tablets etc... have tinny sound. But you have a headphone jack and also you can stream music via bluetooth.

Although this has been designed like a laptop (well netbook really as it is quite small) you can use it like a tablet as the screen can be reversed. You can also use it in portrait mode, although this may be too fiddly in practice. But as it is a tablet as well it does support tilt functions for those apps that require it.

The device is running Android JellyBean 4.2, and the performance is smooth. Lenovo have implemented their own custom UI which gives you a taskbar like strip at the bottom of the screen, which is useful for multitasking between apps. However the stock android soft keys can be restored if preferred. My one gripe with the taskbar or softkeys is that they are always on screen, and as you will mostly be using the laptop in landscape mode, it does make the actual screen area quite small. I think a 4:3 aspect would probably work better in this respect as you would have more vertical space to play with. But saying that it isn't a major problem and the widescreen aspect is ideal for movies.

I have ordered a 32GB micro SD card for this as I think the internal memory could quickly get filled with apps, some apps can be moved to the SD card, but not all.

You can also use flash player on this if you download it from the Adobe archives. It doesn't work with the Chrome browser, but works with the stock android browser or Dolphin among others, and it works well.

All in all I recommend this laptop. It is a good price, has excellent battery life (should get 9 hours playing videos) and should suit for most basic tasks. It is similar to the old netbooks which used to run windows (but the performance of this is much better) and the touchscreen makes a massive difference to the overall experience. The keyboard is great too and I am typing this very review on it!

Very portable, the touchpad works well and you can easily connect external peripherals such as a USB mouse, external hard disk, memory stick etc...
on 11 February 2014
Good -
Build
Running Android
Quick enough
Touch screen
Easy charge (if you already use a micro usb)
Micro SD
Battery life

The build of the item is very nice. Feels like quality and feels well put together. As I have an android tablet and smartphone, getting around this was easy. It handled the tasks I threw at it, which included regular internet browsing, watching you tube or watching a movie of my USB stick. Micro SD is a must if you want to put your apps onto the micro SD instead of the netbook. The battery was pleasing and I managed 8 hours. You can also tilt the netbook to use the screen in portrait mode.

Bad -
Speaker
Screen

The two gripes about this netbook. The speakers are terrible. So tinny (that's tinny as in sound not tiny). They are situated underneath when they would have been best suited to the top and just in front of the keyboard. The screen is awful at times. Blacks are more grey with too much brightness in the background regardless of changing the brightness. The viewing angles are not good either and that is when you lose the colours on screen.

If you can put up with the terrible speakers and the viewing angles and cloudiness of the screen then this is a very decent little buy.
on 20 August 2014
Well built, light and always ready - no Windows updates! The flexibility of a proper keyboard and mousepad coupled with and Android touch screen makes it a joy to use.
on 12 November 2014
This is a fantastic buy for those wanting to browse or email. Despite other comments, the screen is as bright and clear and just as good as my HD LG monitor I use for my main PC. The A10 is very well made, strong and sturdy and the keyboard is a delight to use. I would agree the sound is poor, but I don't play videos or music through it, so no problem for me. Much better than a plain tablet in my opinion, and how good is the price? Cheaper than an Android smartphone!
on 13 June 2014
Very pleased with the A10. Very responsive and meets my expectations. The keyboard is laid out very well. The A10 has the touch like a tablet and a keyboard like a Chromebook.
on 8 October 2014
it does what it needs to
on 6 July 2014
Pretty decent device. Good potential, only let down by the 1Gb space allocated for apps installation. I don't understand why would they do that and can't just provide the entire 16Gb space as internal storage.
on 6 August 2014