5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy
I'm really pleased with this laptop.

Published 3 months ago by Tim

3.0 out of 5 stars QC could be better.
Published 1 month ago by Jeff Rabin

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy, 19 Aug 2014
Tim (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I'm really pleased with this laptop.

It's surprisingly lightweight and extremely quiet (much more so than the old laptop it replaces). I'm not a fan of glossy screens, but this one isn't too bad (I was intending to add an anti-glare film, but have decided it isn't necessary). The keyboard keys don't travel as far as on a desktop keyboard, but provide enough feedback for fast typing. They are much better than the keys on a Sony Vaio that I also own. The touchpad works well, but is very large, and prone to getting nudged when typing. This was ameliorated after I updated the driver for the latest Elantech one from Asus's website, which allows for more customisation of sensitivity, and after I installed the free Touchpad Blocker application, which allows you to disable the touchpad when typing.

The Core i3 processor doesn't break a sweat doing any everyday tasks (web browsing, word processing, spreadsheets, etc.), and the integrated graphics chip handles mp3 and DVD playback effortlessly. Even basic CAD software runs very smoothly. This isn't a machine for a serious gaming fan, but for everyone else, it should be fine. 6GB of RAM is more than enough for Windows 8.1, and I doubt I will ever come close to filling the 1TB harddrive (which comes partitioned into two 500GB sections).

The only slight annoyances are that it took many hours (and I mean a lot!) for Windows to install all the updates (from Windows 8 to 8.1, and dozens of other system updates and drivers), despite having a fast broadband connection; and that there are only two USB ports, both of which are on the left side, and neither of which supports charging of devices while the laptop is in standby (despite there being an Asus "USB charging" application pre-loaded on the laptop).

You may be interested in my recent review of the similarly-specified HP Pavilion 15-p001na Core i3 1.90GHz, 6GB RAM, 750GB laptop, which is arguably slightly better still than the Asus.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little laptop, 8 Sep 2014
I bought this laptop after deciding to sell my gaming PC. It's a great little laptop, its lightweight without feeling flimsy and looks very smart - far more upmarket than you'd expect for the price tag. It runs silently and seems to handle all processes I need without any slowdown (web, email, media player etc). The only thing I would recommend is anyone who hasn't used Windows 8 before read up a little and do the updates in chunks - aside from that slight niggle which is Microsoft rather than Asus' issue can't fault my experience so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a Review of ASUS NOT Microsoft Windows, 17 Oct 2014
Can we PLEASE be clear here - we are reviewing an ASUS product NOT a Microsoft product. Other reviewers have made a similar point, but a number seem to give ASUS a negative review because of Windows 8. Windows, and in particular Windows 8 have issues which have absolutely NOTHING to do with ASUS. ASUS manufacture hardware NOT software. The ASUS product is very good at what it does and is fast, lightweight, attractive and has "Ice cool" technology. At the price it is excellent value. Windows on the other hand in my view, which seems to be shared by others has, and always has had, issues which lead to dissatisfaction. This would be the case irrespective of the hardware it was loaded onto. So to be clear ASUS and Microsoft are two different products and we are only reviewing the ASUS product in these reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sleek, fast, affordable i7 laptop, 31 Oct 2014
I am quite impressed by this laptop.

It has a slim and sleek design. The plastics used look and feel pretty solid. I noticed that some reviewers have had issues with build quality, but, with this model at least, I disagree, especially when you compare this to other laptops of a similar price range.

The performance is what impresses most though. It manages to run quickly whilst remaining almost completely silent. The i7 processor is fast and will handle anything that the casual user can throw at it. It will manage light gaming, but it isn't a gaming laptop in any sense. The integrated graphics will not be able to run more demanding games well. This model also comes with 4GB RAM and a 500GB hard drive. The amount of RAM determines how well the machine can multi task and 4GB does not seem enough in my opinion. Windows 8 is more memory intensive than I thought and with a few programs running you can definitely see the performance start to drop. The 500GB hard drive is fine for me, but I understand that 1TB has become the standard these days as people want to store larger files i.e. pictures, videos, music.

The screen is a standard 1366x768 resolution, the norm for a laptop. It does the job, but it's nothing spectacular. The same applies to the speakers. Audio quality is clear and loud enough as you'd expect. The keyboard is very nice to use. It is well laid out and the keys are quite heavy making the feedback solid. The touchpad is the best I have used on a laptop in this price range. It is reasonably sensitive and incredibly responsive. It picks up gestures and touches instantly. The sensitivity can also be adjusted to suit you.

On the left side of the laptop, you will find the charger input, VGA (for some reason), HDMI, Ethernet, USB 2.0 x1, USB 3.0 x1 and a headset jack. I would have liked at least one more USB port. The right side is taken up by the CD/DVD drive.

Now onto the battery life, which is probably the most disappointing thing about the laptop. It isn't woeful, I was just expecting more. The battery will struggle to last more than 4 hours even if you mess around with the power settings.

Despite the battery life though, I am very satisfied with this laptop.

P.S. I didn't bother upgrading to Windows 8.1 after reading what a hassle it was in the other reviews. 8 and 8.1 aren't great anyway so I plan to install an SSD with Windows 7 on in the future. Also, upgrading to 8GB RAM may prove worthwhile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asus Laptop, 27 May 2014
Lovely laptop and I'm now pretty au fait with Windows 8 and have upgraded to 8.1 now. The only thing that is a bad design is the mouse which emulates a touch screen. It is not centred on the keyboard letters so I keep swiping when I'm typing. Apart from that there is nothing I'd change. Very quick and light, also doesn't get hot on my lap.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great laptop for such a low price tag, 15 Sep 2014
Bought the i7 version with 500gb HD and 4gb RAM for £400. The build quality of the laptop is great and for getting it so cheap it is amazing. The i7 performs very well with everyday tasks making this an ideal laptop to take to university. One downfall is the battery life which last roughly 2 hours 30 minutes of heavy usage but can probably squeeze out 4 hour on light usage.

Overall great laptop for a great price but consider buying a portable battery to use the laptop for extended periods of time

3.0 out of 5 stars QC could be better., 14 Oct 2014
The first one came with a faulty hard drive or at least one that failed within a few short days -- minutes after the system had been set up to taste with bloat ware removed and productivity ware added and the use grade from Windows 8 to 8.1 that took hours. I really think that QC ought to have caught this before shipping. The inclusion of a physical DVD writer is nice. Many laptops seem to be without these days. Otherwise, quite nice indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Laptop, 7 Jun 2014
I chose the i7 processor with 4GB RAM but ordered an 8GB module for it. When I went to fit it, I found the slot was empty (the 4GB must be on board) so I now have 12GB RAM. I also put in a 120GB SSD and installed Windows 7 (W7 drivers all available from ASUS website). I've also fitted a DVD caddy to take the original 500GB HDD instead of the DVD drive so I have room for plenty of data. If/when I need a DVD, I have a USB one. The laptop is attractively designed and it was easy to fit the parts I needed to. Well done Asus - a nice bit of kit. Oh, and it boots to logon in under 15 secs and recovers from sleep almost as soon as you open the lid.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review of ASUS laptop, 20 Jun 2014
Excellent so far,no complaints.The screen was ideal for my purposes.I would have preferred a metal body rather than plastic though for astetic reasons.Speed is good and graphics fine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 5 Nov 2014
Love the laptop but it still has a couple of small faults.

First is the touchpad. I am not used to a full touchpad and usually when I try to click something I move the cursor somewhere else. I didn't think it would be a problem when I purchased it but it has turned out to be a lot more annoying that I thought it would.

Secondly, there is only two USB ports and they sit right beside each other so I can never use to USB pens or my hard drive at the same time.

Overall it is still a great laptop! I love how it feels so thin and light. It works and starts up really fast. Definitely a good buy.