5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant.
After serving out a year of hard labor in the salt mines of Endovier for her crimes, 18-year-old assassin Celaena Sardothien is dragged before the Crown Prince. Prince Dorian offers her her freedom on one condition: she must act as his champion in a competition to find a new royal assassin.

Her opponents are men--thieves and assassins and warriors from across...
Published 21 months ago by Beanie Luck Spud

3.0 out of 5 stars A charming and witty dose of the naive nostalgia of childhood fairytales
I've been waiting for this book to be released since I read some of it on FictionPress.com more than 5 years ago. If its original hook of 'What if Cinderella had been sent to the ball to kill the prince?' had been kept, it would have made things a lot simpler. It's a great read, but not quite for the reasons it's been hyped up to be. It's an action-packed coming-of-age...
Published on 4 Aug 2012 by Olive C.

‹ Previous | 121 22 2326 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Freaking loved it!, 26 July 2012
This review is from: Throne of Glass (Paperback)
I've been dying to read this book, just the synopsis pulled me in. When I saw other reviewers receiving this book I was so jealous! I entered a competition the next day and won a proof copy and I'm so glad I've been able to read it! It is an breathtaking debut novel. I love fantasy novels and this is another one I can add to my favourites. I loved everything about it, the strong willed, kick ass main character, the fast paced action, the plot that reeled you in but most of all the writing itself was rather astounding. It was some of the best writing, I've ever read. Sarah J. Maas really has a talent for writing, and she's definitely using it to it's full potential. I'm sure this will become an instant favourite to all YA and even adult fans of fantasy.

We join Celaena Sardothien, Adarlan's best assassin, as she's pulled out of the salt mines of Endovier. For a year she's been stuck inside as a slave to the Kingdom all because she got caught or even betrayed. The Crown Prince offers her the chance of Freedom but it doesn't come without a price. Celaena will have to fight to become the King's Champion and only then after four years will she be free. Her opponents are thieves, assassins and warriors from all over Adarlan, she will have to beat them one at a time to make sure she gets her freedom. Things seem to go fine until her opponents dead bodies begin to show up. Something or someone is after them, Celaena will have to watch her back. This is her last chance at freedom.

Celaena is a very strong female, she's so kick-ass. She can beat pretty much anyone she comes across. She's been trained as an assassin from a young age making her a very threatening opponent. Her name alone creates tides of fear, she is feared throughout all of the kingdom. She can certainly look after herself, she's also clever too. We see her strengths and her weaknesses, we root for her all the way. She's a very likable character. Celaena's character is very well fleshed out, we see her wit, strength, knowledge and under that all she was still human. Despite being the best assassin she still gets scared, we feel her pain and fear. She's not always the mean assassin, we see her as a true girl too, parading around a ballroom in a huge dress. She always enjoys herself no matter what life throws at her, she has the strength to go on. It's a very valuable lesson that everyone needs to learn. Even a cute puppy makes her all warm and fuzzy, it was fantastically done! She was absolutely brilliant, one of the best characters I've ever read about. She's still running around in my head now, even though I finished the book a few hours ago. She's a very hard character to top.

The main secondary characters are Dorian the Crown Prince and Chaol the captain of the guard. It was a bit of a love triangle, each boy having feelings for her but neither of them making a move. I have my favourite but I shall see where it leads in the next book. Dorian is the crown prince who becomes rather attached to Celaena, he doesn't want to follow his fathers rule but he's too much of a coward to step forward just yet. We watch as women thrust themselves upon him but he only has eyes for one, and he can't have her, it's too much of a risk. He's handsome and a smooth talker, he knows all the right moves but will it work this time? Chaol is a rather serious character but he becomes a friend to Celaena. He's also strong and intelligent, one of the good guys. He's loyal and trustworthy and takes his job very seriously. Chaol becomes Celaena's trainer and he cannot believe how she knows so much but is so young. She bears the scars of things that shouldn't happen to people her age. Both of them were very fleshed out and even together they worked perfectly, there was no competition they were life long friends.

The plot itself was fast paced and very enjoyable. It kept the reader hooked all the way. The action was by incredibly good. I love action scenes and these were brilliant, especially as they included such a kick-ass heroine who showed us that girls can fight too and even be the best. There were so many important lessons and bit's of wisdom woven throughout the novel. It's a rather intelligent book in itself. The writing was very strong, and flowed perfectly. The book is just as awesome as they cover! The setting was also very haunting, a castle of glass built above the remains of a castle of stone. The clock tower and gargoyle's will stick out to the reader especially in all their freaky glory.

I freaking loved this book. I don't think I'm doing this book much justice but you all need to read this book. It is one of my best reads of the year and it's right at the top. I can not wait to read the next installment and follow Celaena's journey until the end. Sarah J. Mass is definitely a very talented author, one of the best I've come across this year and I'm sure she will staying put for a long time yet. Do yourself all a favour and order this book, I can guarantee you will be blown away! If not, what's wrong with you? Throne Of Glass is a mind blowing fantasy novel that will hook readers of all ages and keep them hanging on until the very end! Even then they will have trouble putting this book down, I'm going to go and stare at the last page hoping for the next installment to magically appear.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWSOME, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Throne of Glass (Paperback)
This book was amazing! Although slow to begin with, the rest of the book is fast paced, action packed and bursting with lush characters. Everything about it appealed to me; the heroine was great too. I would recommend this to everyone everywhere, especially to those looking for Hunger Games, Divergent or Harry Potter withdrawal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Throne of Glass (Kindle Edition)
Amazing book really enjoyed it! Couldn't put it down! I would recommend to all friends and family can't wait to start the next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Throne of Glass (Kindle Edition)
Amazing book, well written and gripping from the first page. The storyline is well thought out with no obvious flaws and is most importantly exciting!

5.0 out of 5 stars omg epic books, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Throne of Glass (Kindle Edition)
Fast paced ksarah has kept me gripped I love these books reading them in just two day I have epic

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmistakably the book for me., 26 April 2014
This review is from: Throne of Glass (Kindle Edition)
From the moment I began reading this book, I knew it was to be a very interesting one. I was truly correct, I discovered, and more than that. Sarah J Maas has mixed excitement, humour and other aspects that will keep you wanting to turn those pages.

3.0 out of 5 stars gave up, 27 April 2013
This review is from: Throne of Glass (Kindle Edition)
i found this book good to start of with but then it just got a bit repetitive and boring i liked gory romance books but this one is just not for me i wouldent recomend it but it is a win some and lose some book so it dipends on who you are some people will love it some will hate it.

not worth the hasle

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 13 Jan 2013
This review is from: Throne of Glass (Kindle Edition)
I read this series in the wrong order and found that while still enjoyable, the books leading up to Throne Of Glass to be shorter. Throne of Glass was an excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The addicting throne of glass, 4 Dec 2012
This review is from: Throne of Glass (Kindle Edition)
This book is amazing with the story, fine detail of the story's setting , the plot is amazing and a good change of having a young woman as the hero as well as an assassin and by using magic and other creatures in the background and main parts of the story makes all suspence, fantasy and action appealing to all readers. The only thing I'm not happy with is I have to wait whether this great author will write a sequel to follow up this great book , its one of the few books that i cant stop reading , it has lead me to read the novellas or prepuels of this story. For new or experienced readers this book is recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, if a little contrived, 25 Nov 2012
J. Moody (Pinner, Middlesex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Throne of Glass (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this book: I found it interesting, but I have to say that the whole set-up felt a bit contrived, and the final duel seemed to me to be a perfect Hollywood cliché. On the other hand, the characterisation is good , and I've no doubt I'll shell out for the sequel when it arrives.

‹ Previous | 121 22 2326 | Next ›