Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

VINE VOICEon 27 March 2008
This album is brilliant as a tribute to Elvis and as a collection of brilliant Merle Haggard songs in their own right. I know this album first came out a long time ago, and it's a crime that it's only just received a re-release.

The album includes more laid-back and slower-tempo songs than what most Merle Haggard fans would be used to, but that's due to the context of the album's release and the contrast it provides when those rocking Elvis tracks kick in. The whole album features songs that are great to listen to, I can;t think of one I don't like. Misery & Gin is enough of a reason to buy this album!

Seriously though, this in my opinion is Merle Haggard when he was near his best, a slightly deeper voice than his earlier work and still full of that uniqueness that made him a star. If you're a Merle fan already, a country music fan or simply someone who just enjoys good, creative music, I can't recommend this enough.
on 6 December 2013
After a very long time I found some of the tracks on Merle's tribute to Elvis album from '78 on CD - as an added bonus are some additional "Barroom" tracks, including Misery & Gin , delivered in the smooth, inimitable, Haggard style. A nice easy listening collection.
on 17 January 2016
A great cd from Merle, 2 songs are a must for any Merle fans Misery And Gin and When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold, Merle sure can sing those songs with feeling, brilliant.
on 25 March 2015
great barroom songs of merles not so keen on elvis songs though
on 17 March 2016
Brilliant CD of Merle Haggard's MCA recordings from the years 1977-1981. With 24 tracks, you'll find on this CD classics like Ramblin' Fever ,If Were Not Back In Love By Monday, It's Been a Great Afternoon,I'm Always On a Mountain When I Fall, Footlights, Misery and Gin the #1 hit I Think I'll Just Stay Here & Drink. Also included is the original live version of Rainbow Stew and cover versions of songs like When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again,Take Me Back and Try Me One More Time, I'll Always Be Glad To Take You Back and even some Elvis Love Me Tender, Are You Lonesome Tonight, Don't Be Cruel. Other songs to look out for are I Don't Want To Sober Up Tonight,Red Bandana,Leonard,Make Up & Faded Blue Jeans & Back To The Barrooms Again. Merle sounds really great here and these are all original recordings.

This CD serves as a great companion to The Very Best Of Merle Haggard which is a 2 Disc Set of Merle's earlier work for Capitol recordings ( the years 1964-1976 also all original recordings) when he had 24 #1 hits and lots of other top 10 hits. Great CD , really cannot fault it.
on 21 September 2014