4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful video editing, but there are easier editors
Initially, I had reservations about trying this latest version of Pinnacle Studio because of the many bugs that were widely reported. However, with the latest patch available, version 17 seems to have reached a level of stability that makes it a good, solid tool for editing videos.

This is my first experience with Pinnacle Studio - never tried the previous...
Published 3 months ago by Antonio Pineda

This software has so much potential but yet again its released with so many bugs its more less unusable.

The previous version had issues with sound dips on the (File MTS Transport Stream AVCHD 1080p) export option. Guess what its still there on this version.

Published 6 months ago by onair

1.0 out of 5 stars Another release and yet again they cannot get the basics to work, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate (PC) (DVD-ROM)

Corel should hang their heads in shame at releasing such an unready product for public use.

Ok with every software you expect a few bugs but when its basic bugs that make the program unusable thats another matter.

With countless crashes NG Studio errors and the way the audio goes up and down on the exported file ruins hours of hard work.

Totally amazing that Corel is supposed to be a leader in video editing cannot even release a product that works.

1.0 out of 5 stars Fails to burn to a DVD., 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate (PC) (DVD-ROM)
The product is fantastic at editing BUT It sometimes fails to create a computer image for a DVD burn - with the message "NG Studio is not working" - whatever NG Studio is!

I tried to contact Corel with the phone number they provided for technical help ("free" for the first 14 days) only to find that the line was unobtainable.

So, except for the very smallest of projects, the product fails to do what 90% of people must want it to do - produce a DVD.

I updated from Studio 15 because of crashing difficulties, so this is very disappointing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Studio 17 Ultimate Rubbish, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate (PC) (DVD-ROM)
I purchased studio 17 because I bought a new computer ( windows 8 ) I had used Pinnacle studio 11 in my old computer and it was first class. but could not load it onto the new computer It would not accept the code I contacted Pinnacle and was told as it was so old they could not give me a new code. The first disc would not load into the new computer After many attempts I returned it to Amazon for replacement. The second Program Loaded bot would not recognise my cannon cameras. After importing from a roundabout way
I was able to start editing to find that the sound and video were out of synchronization. Phoned Pinnacle again and after a long conversation were no help at all. Returned it to Amazon for full refund. Full Marks To Amazon 5 Stars.
PS Bought Serif Movie Plus X6, works great first time Highly Recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very awkward software, 15 April 2014
Length:: 9:58 Mins

I've been editing video using Pinnacle Studios 6, 8, 14 and 15 for over a decade, along with Microsoft's free editing software. So I know my way around the basic functions of editing footage on a computer. I have the competence to get what I want frame by frame out of video editing software.

Until now.

The user interface on Studio 17 has been redesigned. The main draw of Studio was that it was easy to use. The user interface was relatively idiot proof with a logical flow to it. They have ripped it out and replaced it with an awkward interface that doesn't have a logical flow to it at all.

Okay, so it's new. So surely it's just a matter of spending time with it and getting used to it. You will learn where things are in time. I personally haven't invested any money in the software, and Studio 15 was left untouched when I installed 17, so I'm not inclined to hang around and find out if that is indeed the case. Judging from other online reviews it doesn't appear to get much easier to use with time.

The software reminds me of a satirical video called `S-y Releases New Stupid Piece Of S-t That Doesn't F-g Work'. It was about hardware that was so complicated and awkward that no one can work it. It was described as a time vampire. Studio 17 looks to me to be the software equivalent. It will become a time vampire if I seriously try to engage with it.

It's made all the more difficult to use by the lack of a paper manual in the box. You have to go online to see a 300 plus page PDF manual that you can't word search. I wasn't inclined to print the whole thing out. Instead I copy and pasted it into a Word document so I could word search it and consult it offline.

Even being able to word search the manual hasn't made it much easier to use the software. To find what I'm looking for I need to know the correct terms. The software really, really, really needs a ten page idiots guide starter booklet that at least shows you where the most basic functions are now placed. Without this info you won't be able to intuitively find things as it's a really difficult interface (at least to begin with).

In the end I made one new edit of an old movie using Studio 17 as a trial for this review. The end result was annoyance and dissatisfaction. I ran back to Studio 15 and was grateful that I hadn't committed myself financially to keep using 17.

It's nice to see they've added a backwards effect (see a man un-eat a cake etc) for reversing the order of selected film clips. It's a mode I've been expecting them to add for years.

I think it's mostly stable as long as you don't try to do too much too fast (good luck with this interface). It crashed once when I tried to add title cards to the timeline. It did it a second time but when I waited for a few minutes it unfroze. So I'm not sure if it crashed or if it was just busy processing things on my old computer.

SECOND HALF OF THE REVIEW IN THE COMMENTS SECTION.

1.0 out of 5 stars There are plenty of much better programs out there, 10 July 2014
Mr. P. Brewer "burrell" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Let me say that I have been with Pinnacle from day one, but now with version 17 enough is enough. The program is absolute rubbish, they had to release a patch the very day after it was released that gives you an idea, we are now up to five. I had a problem where I had to phone pinnacle, just asking for a short cut in order to download the program again, not much you would think. I made two phone calls and each time I was assured that a shortcut would be sent to me within fifteen minutes NO SUCH LUCK. The following day I phoned again and was told this time my problem would be passed to another department and that they would contact me that day, yes you has guessed it no such reply was forth coming. As a previous strong supporter of Pinnacle I would not now give them house room, and would URGE YOU to avoid at all costs. There are plenty of much better programs out there, one in particular is SONY Movie Studio which I now use, no such thing as patches and is solid as a rock (not connected with Sony just a VERY satisfied customer)
There you have it AVOID AVOID at all costs Pinnicle and save your money for a much better program what ever it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems, 19 April 2014
A. Roberton "Alan Roberton" (Camborne, Cornwall) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I first used Pinnacle way back at version 3 and even then it would occasionally freeze. I had thought that by now all the teething problems would have been solved, alas they haven't. This software promises so much and yet has difficulty in delivering. The main reason for these video software packages is to edit and produce a video and then to save it on a DVD. This is basic stuff, so when a software program has problems with being able to transfer a finished and often very professional looking video to a DVD, the whole things falls down.

I so wanted this to work and even more wanted to be able to give 5 stars, alas I cannot as it just doesn't work properly.

My advice is simple, steer clear of Pinnacle and go for something like Sony Movie Studio HD: Platinum Suite 12 as this really does do exactly as advertised.

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful video editing, but there are easier editors, 2 April 2014
Antonio Pineda (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

This is my first experience with Pinnacle Studio - never tried the previous versions. Some long-time users have complained that certain elements of the interface and names of functions have changed, but I found it quite easy to navigate and use the program though perhaps this is because I have had previous experience with other video editing programs (such as Cyberlink PowerDirector and Serif MoviePlus).

To test its ease of use, I created a picture slideshow without reading any instructions or watching tutorials and I did so successfully. Like with most video editing programs, Pinnacle Studio splits the screen in three: the top left split gives you access to your files and assets; the top right split houses the player that allows you to preview your work; and the bottom split contains the timeline.

The latest version promises up to 10x faster video rendering. Again, I cannot say if this is true given that I have not tried previous versions but the rendering speed compares favourably with the two alternative video editors I have mentioned. The Ultimate Version also boasts support for 4K Ultra HD and iZotope Music and Speech Cleaner - but if you don't know what these mean you probably don't need them.

Pinnacle Studio offers unlimited tracks, picture-in-picture, multi-layered effects, over 2000 effects, titles and transitions. You can edit in HD or 3D. It certainly is powerful and if you are prepared to invest some time in mastering its features, a professional looking video is not very difficult to achieve.

That said, if you are a beginner or would like a video that's easier to learn and use, I would recommend Serif Movie Plus.

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective and easy enough to use, 13 May 2014
Zipster Zeus (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I know there's some bad reviews around here but my own personal experience I have to say, has not been a bad one. Perhaps my advantage is that I'm completely new to the software and so don't have experience of any previous user interfaces etc. I have to say though I found it, as a newbie, easy enough in time to get to grips with and use, albeit in an amateur video-editing capacity.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing experience, 12 May 2014
Dragon0303 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's hard to be too tough on Corel because over the years I've liked some of their products a lot. but this one's just not worth the effort. First off, it was difficult to install, both initially and then with the patch. So much so that at one point I just gave up on it. But I did go back and try again and finally got in installed, only to find a much more complicated interface than was necessary.....and did I mention the crashes? I mean, most programs crash from time to time and I'm fairly used to it when editing for long periods, but oh boy, this just feels so unstable.

A couple of years ago I felt Corel were really catching up with other brands of video editing software, but with this they've fallen way back, no doubt, and with so many other options for editing software which offer easier editing, better performance and reliability I'd recommend looking elsewhere. There may well be a half decent software in there somewhere but it's really not worth trying to dig it out.

1.0 out of 5 stars How to spoil an easy to use piece of Software, 7 May 2014
Adrian Adams (Burgess Hill, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate (PC) (DVD-ROM)
Having used and owned numerous versions of Pinnacle Studio over the years I can say that Studio 17 is without doubt the worst. I dont know this is the fact that its now owned by Coral as oppossed to Avid. I'm not going to claim that everything was perfect in the other versions, although Studio 15 HD was pretty good. Pat versions were often glitchy and prone to crashing until Pinnacle released its numerous patches. However, what Studio had in there favour was pure simplicity of use, coupled with extensive functionality. What we have now is a system that has a bit more functionality but requires you to be a rocket scientist to use it. it is no longer an intuitive video editor that you could work out without much reference to a manual (which you dont get anyway with the latest version). If I wanted such complexity I'd use Adobe Premiere Pro.

No longer the tool for this enthuisiastic amature. So long Pinnacle I'm going to have to find another product or reload my old Studio 15

Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate (PC)
Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate (PC) by Corel (Windows 7 / 8 / Vista)
60.99