4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for new players, lacking for Civ IV users
Published 15 months ago by Mr. James Russell

2.0 out of 5 stars This sucks! Why on earth do I have to be ...
This sucks! Why on earth do I have to be online to play a game? I purchased what I thought was a full DVD version only to have to be online to reach the Steam servers to be able to play. Even when I am online more than half the time I get a "Steam servers are too busy.. error code (53)" message.... this really sucks!
Published 8 months ago by T. J. Barrable

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun for new players, lacking for Civ IV users, 12 Feb. 2014
Mr. James Russell "Grim_Russell" (Macedonia / Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Civilization V (PC DVD) (Video Game)
First of all, as a few have said: THE DVD ISN'T THE GAME! All the DVD will do is install Steam, on which you have to set up a user account, then enter the verification code from inside the DVD case. You have to be connected to the internet throughout. There doesn't seem to be a way around this. Oh, and you don't even get a manual inside the DVD case – which is a HUGE let-down after Civ IV's massive, readable manual.

FOR NEW PLAYERS
Civilization has always been engaging, fun, interesting, and addictive in a good way. Strategy bods like me will love it especially. Civ V is a great entry into the franchise, and can be expanded with two separately purchased packs, Gods & Kings and Brave New World.

FOR EXISTING CIV PLAYERS
If you're used to Civ IV and Civ IV Beyond The Sword, Civ V will be a bit underwhelming. There's a big improvement in the quality of gameplay – you can't stack military units, for example, and the Social Policy choices make a nice change from the 'this one or this one' approach to Civics in Civ IV. Units can 'embark' once you've researched optics, and you don't even need to load them into a boat. And most importantly, as they've tried to implement in every Civ game since III, bigger is not better. You're significantly punished for raising a large empire. Oh, and city states are a great idea, filling the map out with pawns to help you accomplish your goals

But, there's not much to it. Players of even the original (vanilla) Civ IV may be disappointed in the lack of things to do. Diplomacy is very simple, but not straightforward. You may miss the detailed + and - ratings for leaders' opinions about you, and the AI is still not exactly rational. I recently had someone ask me to go to war together against another player, and after I accepted, my ally now calls me 'a warmongering menace to the world'.

I recommend anyone well-versed in Civ IV to upgrade to Gods & Kings or Brave New World immediately. The gameplay would be improved but not so simple it becomes boring.

2.0 out of 5 stars This sucks! Why on earth do I have to be ..., 3 Sept. 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars They have messed up., 26 Jun. 2014
Mr. R. A. Bates (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Civilization V (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Don't bother with this version, they have done things to it which should not have been done and I got fed up with it after only a couple of days. Get Civ IV if you want the latest and best version which pretty well sticks to the original concept but with graphic improvements and a few fresh ideas.

4.0 out of 5 stars I though that I am buying DVD with a game ..., 4 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Civilization V (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I though that I am buying DVD with a game, while I just bought DVD with Steam installer and just got a code to download Civ5 from internet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 11 Dec. 2013
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Civilization V (PC DVD) (Video Game)
Even before he watched the kettle boil James Watt knew a thing or two about steam. Alas, after trying in vain to load this version of Sid Meier's iconic game I still know nothing about Steam -- the platform that takes over installation and sets alarm bells ringing in Windows Defender.There is nothing in the Amazon blurb to warn the unwary of this intrusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great strategy Game, 16 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Civilization V (PC DVD) (Video Game)
First civ game I've ever bought, totally worth 5 pounds I paid, I would recommend to anyone who enjoys strategy.

1.0 out of 5 stars annoying and unplayable, 12 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Civilization V (PC DVD) (Video Game)
I'm new to the civ games so I'm not sure if they are all the same but this game has a big problem. You have to give every unit an order before you can end the turn so as you get further into a match on a large map you have to constantly go through every single unit to tell it to do something and even to tell it to do nothing. This makes the game so slow and for me has ruined it. It literally takes longer to give the orders to each unit than the action of your turn, taking a city which would take a few minutes takes sooo long. You also have to keep your city's producing units or researching which is slightly less annoying because you can create a Que but even this gets annoying. This is going in the bin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointed, 29 May 2014
This review is from: Civilization V (PC DVD) (Video Game)
As a long time player of Civilization I'm aware that many people like many things about the game, hence it's long term appeal. For me it was the ability to stack armies and have the big battles, almost the D-Day moment as it were. There are different strategies associated with this including bringing up reserves and mobilisation all of which add a challenge. To remove that option has destroyed this game for me so will have to be content that Civ 4 was probably the last of the series. A real shame!
I must also agree that the Steam process has caused real problems so making its 'likeability' even harder to comprehend!

2.0 out of 5 stars way less functional than civ 4, 14 Dec. 2013
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Civilization V (PC DVD) (Video Game)
This is just so clunky!! It looks better than 4 and has some new features that force you into more balanced game play, but it constantly struggles to catch up with itself at almost every turn. My PC is above the spec required, but playing this and waiting for it to process other players moves, waiting for it to move across the map, and waiting while it slooowly remembers which units you have that are waiting instructions is just torturous.
Glad it was extra cheap as I'll probably revert to Civ 4 and hope they sort things out for later releases.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 26 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Civilization V (PC DVD) (Video Game)
thanks but laptop need the right specs, i cant play it on mine...

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Civilization V (PC DVD)
Civilization V (PC DVD) by Mastertronic (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
Used & New from: £1.97