5.0 out of 5 stars My review - by Morrissey
Train, heave on to Euston. Awaiting the launch of my Autobiography, Penguin Books have incarcerated me in a tawdry penthouse flat at 6 Grosvenor Square. The harsh London light through the floor-to-ceiling windows peels my eyeballs, my feet wince at the coarse touch of the cashmere and angora carpet, and as I numb the pain with a third Grey Goose, my mind drifts back to...
Published 18 months ago by Rough Diamond

3.0 out of 5 stars I saw a BBC4 documentary on Rough Trade and Travis appeared with a satisfied look on his face and said that although The ...
A generally entertaining book. However, he doesn't appear to have considered that Geoff Travis could have been responsible for breaking up The Smiths. I saw a BBC4 documentary on Rough Trade and Travis appeared with a satisfied look on his face and said that although The Smiths signed to EMI they didn't release anything for them. The implication seemed to be that only...
Published 2 months ago by Johns

‹ Previous | 139 40 4151 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, and I read it in a week, 4 Nov. 2013
Jb Connett - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
The book tells you something without telling you anything at times.I like the way it is written,and it doesn't spell everything out. The Smiths part seems to pass in a flash.I found the court case was overdone-the message is reinforced several times and the perceived unfairness of it all is apparent.The contrast between his early life and post success existence is immense.Victorian England to Hollywood.I bet Mike Joyce hasn't reviewed it as having 5 stars mind you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Title, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
A very interesting read and insight into the world or Morrissey. A must for any fan. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and will probably delve into it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moz autobiography, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant brilliant brilliant this book is so well written, it leaves you begging for more. Great insight into a great man!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great text; shame about the format, 3 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
The writing is fantastic, and just what I would expect from Morrissey.
The format is appalling. Where are the chapter markers? Come on Amazon, sort this out please.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Morrissey, 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
Ah hell yes - I never thought it would be, but here it is. It is very Morrissey, and an editor would have made it less so. All hail Morrissey and the deal he struck for a Penguin classic. Rags to scumbags to love, love, love. A great read - thank you, we love you, ah yes we do.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this, 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
I have been a Morrissey fan for over 20 years. This book does not disappoint. I ordered it on Kindle, but considered ordering it in book format as well just to own both. It is beautifully written; you can hear his poetic style all the way through

5.0 out of 5 stars Autobiography-worth the wait, 28 Oct. 2013
K. L. Beeden (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
Always known for courting controversy, Morrissey managed to cause a stir with his autobiography. Long-awaited by fans and the music industry, the release of Autobiography was delayed and then subjected to an embargo, giving added publicity to a book which surely didn't need it. Published under the Penguin Classics imprint, usually reserved for established, successful authors, there has been much debate about Morrissey's right to sit alongside Austen, Joyce and Waugh. Yet for over thirty years Morrissey has been capturing the imagination of his audience through his lyrics, a poet with a power to encapsulate emotion and touch the deepest, darkest thoughts of recent generations.

I am a Morrissey fan. I am a Smiths fan. I've been fortunate enough to see Morrissey live three times. I share some of the same political views as Morrissey (although certainly not all) and believe that meat is indeed murder. However, I don't fit into the Mozza stereotype. For me Morrissey is not a godlike figure who can do no wrong, he is human and fallible.

To actually hold Autobiography in my hands after such a long, drawn out wait felt momentous. I didn't want to be disappointed, and most of all I hoped beyond all hope that it would be entertaining, anecdotal and free from bitterness.

Written in prose, yet in no means prosaic, Autobiography gives an insight into Morrissey's family background, and on a wider scale also acts as a social history- Northern life in the reasonably recent past that seems so far removed from the regeneration projects taking place in Liverpool, Sheffield and of course Manchester.

Sometimes Morrissey comes across as coy and guarded, at other times like a petulant child spoiling for a fight. Autobiography inevitably covers Morrissey's time in the Smiths, although there are perhaps less pages dedicated to this pivotal, formative stage in his career than fans will hope. Contrastingly, the section around the Joyce trial is scathing (as expected) although is rather longwinded and repetitive. I can completely understand that Morrissey has used Autobiography as a platform to convey his side of the trial, and for what it is worth I completely agree with his arguments, but to this reader it did come across as acerbic and sardonic, and felt at odds with much of the rest of the book. Obviously this is Morrissey's story and he can write it how he wants, but the beauty and lyricism of the rest of the book is completely missing from what is one of the most memorable sections of Autobiography.

So, did I learn about Morrissey from Autobiography? Yes, certainly. His vulnerability and flaws are presented plainly to be seen and when writing about his experience of depression Morrissey touched a nerve with me and probably many others who have suffered the affliction of this malady.

Is it worth the hype? For fans, yes. For anyone interested in the music industry, yes. For the general public or someone looking at it purely on literary value? Maybe, maybe not. Whilst the imagery Morrissey conjures up is as evocative as anyone who has heard his music will expect, sometimes the sentence structure and punctuation is awkward and unnatural. It reads much like a freewrite, a splurge of words and emotions spewed onto the page.

This probably reads like a fairly negative review, when really it is not at all. Quirks and obsessions are beautifully recorded; longing and emotion for normality, acceptance and love are insightful and intense.

I did say I wouldn't stoop to the cliché of a Morrissey lyric to end this review, and certainly not that he is human and needs to be loved, but somehow that seems fitting. The allure of Morrissey continues to reign.

5.0 out of 5 stars offensive, 28 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Autobiography (Kindle Edition)
offensive to those who deserve offence. beautifully written.
quite wonderful actually, a triumph in a genre usually awash with mediocrity. brilliant throughout.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will be ever find the truth.,, 8 Nov. 2013
Mr. G. Blair (haydock) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Autobiography (Paperback)
The closest we will probably get to finding the true Morrissey. His wordsmith is superb, especially little sideswipes fo people he meets. It makes a pleasant change not to have chapters, in the grand scale of things why do we have them. We don't talk in chapters.The end seems a bit rushed though.

1.0 out of 5 stars and liked reading. He didn't make it through more than ..., 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Autobiography (Paperback)
I'm giving this a one star because I bought this for a guy I used to live with, who ADORED Morrisey, and liked reading.

He didn't make it through more than a chapter.

He said it's very fragrant. I'm pretty sure he meant flagrant. Either way, It can't have been that great.

‹ Previous | 139 40 4151 | Next ›