1,265 Reviews
 (1,065)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reading material for kids and grown-ups alike!
Published 1 month ago by Samsara

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted
Published 14 days ago by Curlynob

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic reading material for kids and grown-ups alike!, 12 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Paperback)
My twelve year old son is working his way through all of Walliams books; it makes such a pleasant change from Minecraft and YouTube! A friend bought him Gangsta Granny as a gift for Christmas and he has since read another three and asked me to order the ones that he has not already got! It’s been a while since I have seen him excited waiting for a delivery, the last time was Harry Potter! He wasn't even this enthusiastic about Diary of a Wimpy Kid and he ploughed through those!

It makes me so happy when I see that I have been able to share my own love of books with my children. If you are trying to get your kids to read more then these books are certainly worth trying, both of my children have loved them. The illustrations are fantastic and really suit the books writing style. A comparison and similarity has to be drawn to Dahl as Walliams seems to have that same understanding of children versus adults, like Dahl the children are usually way more clever that the grown-ups!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great humorous book but perhaps not for dental-phobic children!, 2 Jan. 2014
KWren "KWren" (Wye Valley) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Hardcover)
Hmmmm.... as a dental phobic I was bought this book as a joke present for Christmas and at 49 I know I am not its target market. I merely read it to pass the time while camping on a long, cold, dark and very wet New Year's Eve and, to my surprise, found once I'd started I was enjoying it and couldn't put it down. I just had to read through to the end!

Without wishing to relate any of the plot or spoil it for readers all I will say is that David Walliams has a most vivid imagination which he clearly enjoys expressing together with his well known comedy skills and sense of humour. It is very well written with the far-fetched plot carefully thought through and all loose ends brought together at the end.

I might think twice before giving it to a dental phobic child though unless I knew they would appreciate and understand the storyline and humour.

A good read for all - not just children!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 17 Mar. 2015
Curlynob (Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Paperback)
Having enjoyed Gangster Granny and Billionaire Boy, my eight year old boy and I decided to try Demon Dentist. To be honest we stopped reading about halfway through. It gave him bad dreams. If your child is not a fan of dentists, this book certainly isn't going to help. In one scene Alfie is strapped down in the dentist chair and wakes up to find all of his teeth have been forcibly removed. Now that's nightmare material for me and I'm thirty-nine. Finding out that your Dentist is actually a witch with hollow black eyes, that hides under your bed and leaves eyeballs under your pillow was frankly too much for my eight year old. Ultimately you all know your own children. If your child is likely to be disturbed by either of the things I've mentioned, I'd give this one a fairly wide berth. If you think your child is a little more stoic (we have read all of the How to Train Your Dragon books without a single bad dream) then they may well thoroughly enjoy this. It's got all the standard Walliams hallmarks and Raj - the popular newsagent - has a starring role.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh your head off, 7 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Kindle Edition)
'Demon Dentist' is an amazingly fantastic book. The main plot is about a boy called Alfie and his friend Gabz, who try to defeat the tooth witch. She takes teeth but leaves things so horrible they are unmentionable... This novel is told in the third person. 'Demon Dentist' is funny, scary, and at the end a little sad. There are quite a log of made up words e.g. yankers. Read it if you dare! Oh yes, one more thing: BE PREPARED TO LAUGHT YOUR HEAD OFF!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired by Roald Dahl and it shows, 26 Sept. 2013
Dr Phibes "Dr Phibes" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Kindle Edition)
Short little book featuring 12 year old Alfie who lives alone with, and is sole carer for his wheelchair confined Dad after his mother died in childbirth. Alfie loves his dad who affectionately calls him 'Pup'.

Alfie hasn't been to the dentist since he was six with the toothache. And I cant blame him considering the ancient dentist diagnosed a rotton tooth, tied dental floss around dental nurse Mrs Prigg waist, the other end on forceps attached to his poor tooth .. and then .. jump out of the window !

I liked the style, I liked the introduction to all the charactors at the start, inparticular Mr. Grey the timid headmaster ( I wondered what inspired this choice of name). And of course texting boy, the boy that 's always texting.

And I liked the warnings of made up words like ' yankers' the human chain trying to yank out the tooth. I loved the relationship with Alfie and his dad and there 'multi coloured world of make believe'.

Has a sinister Dentist the children have to call Mummy, and a curios chaptor 38 called 'Mummus going to eat you'. The book is written in a comical way and this does make the scary bits easier but I would not really recommend for younger children. 9+

5.0 out of 5 stars My Grandson loves it., 11 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Hardcover)
This was a present for my 10 year old Grandson who hasn't stopped talking about it since he got. We have also bought him other titles by the same author with the same result. Highly recommended by a very happy 10 year old boy.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great mix of everything, 18 April 2014
Dolphin (Oxford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Hardcover)
This is a brilliant book! I used to love Roald Dahl in my younger years, and just could not resist test-reading this one. No regrets, I may even have to get another of David Walliams' books.

Style and story line are very reminiscent of the old Roald Dahl books: a poor little boy with a loving Dad, a horrible "Baddie," little boy fights bad grown up with LOTS of bizarre things happening, and in the end it does all turn out well, but only after remarkable twists and turns. And it is in the various twists and turns, and in the setting of the story that David Walliams firmly finds his own style. First and foremost, the story is set very clearly set in 21st century Britain, with ironic side glances at the culture and references to current events: texting boy, who is blissfully unaware of anything happening around him, as he is constantly glued to his mobile, Winnie, the meddling social worker (who turns out not to be so bad after all), closed down coal mines and volcanic ash clouds.Some of the events in the book are definitely not for the faint-hearted and I almost found them a bit too gruesome - there is quite a bit of blood and gore to be had. I was wondering if this was perhaps a bit too much for younger children, and would agree with a 9 or 10+ rating - but then I wonder if grown-ups are perhaps sometimes more squeamish than kids. It is certainly not violence in a senseless video games "let's shoot everybody" kind of way, it is firmly associated with the bad characters, and so over the top that it is clear that it is part of a story and not real.

When I was reading the book, I found myself laughing, squeamishly revolted, nail-bitingly in suspense, and, in the end, moved. A roller coaster ride through all sorts of emotions in quick succession and certainly extremely good entertainment. Highly recommended - for children of all ages from 9 - 99...

4.0 out of 5 stars Demon Dentist, 12 Oct. 2013
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Hardcover)
After recently reading Gangsta Granny I was quite eager to read more by David Walliams. He's funny, his books have great illustrations and children absolutely LOVE them. After reading my second book, Demon Dentist, I'm not a die-hard fan but I do want to read the rest of his back catalogue - always a good sign!

Demon Dentist, for me, is even better than Gangsta Granny. It's deceptively dark, gruesome and truly frightening when you deconstruct it. It's about a demon masquerading as a crazy dentist hellbent on ripping every child's entire mouthful of teeth out, leaving disgusting, vile 'gifts' under their pillow as a treat (like badger's paws and bat's wings, for example). I'm not sure how a younger reader would take this book, so it might be best to say it's for older children, maybe 10+. The illustrations are fantastically sinister, with Tony Ross perfectly capturing the grotesque Demon Dentist and her creepy cat, Fang.

As seems to be the case with David Walliams books, or at least the two I've read, they end on quite a sad note, which I find unusual for children's books. I don't know whether he's trying to teach kids a lesson about loss and grief, or prepare them for the inevitable, but it seems out of place, especially in Demon Dentist. I felt so sorry for Alfie, and I'm sure children reading it will, in some cases, be distraught!

This is a perfect book for me, thanks to its humour, horror theme and accompanying pictures. I like my children's books to be dark and disgusting wherever possible and, thanks to my lifelong phobia of the dentist, it seems Demon Dentist was written especially for me. I'm so glad I'm above the age when teeth are wobbly and fall out, because I would not like to go to bed thinking I'll wake up to find a horde of centipedes under my pillow. I hope kids don't lose much sleep after finishing this book!

3.0 out of 5 stars Another bestseller I'm sure but without heart, 22 Oct. 2013
K. J. Noyes "Katy Noyes" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Hardcover)
I've been a fan of Walliams' children's books since The Boy in the Dress. I loved Billionaire Boy. I've read all the others. And I'm thrilled that kids read them, love them, read some more.

But Ratburger and Demon Dentist... I'm disappointed. Maybe I'd be giving it 5 stars too if I was 10. But I just can't.

I think David Walliams' best books for kids are the ones that are obviously personal to him (and very touching) or funny without trying stupidly hard to be funny, without villains, that are character-driven, that don't aim towards an over-the-top Indiana Jones chase sequence and lose their unique feel.

There's nothing 'wrong' with Demon Dentist - you've got a poor kid who's lost his mum, whose dad is disabled from inhaling mine dust, who is losing teeth after bad experiences at the dentist many years ago. Along comes a scary new dentist intent on getting our hero into her chair for her own nefarious reasons. Our hero must work out what is going on and how to save the day. With a sidekick of sorts in a girl from school and with an overly-helpful chocolate munching social worker trying to get him to his dental appointment.

For me, things just didn't gel. Alfie himself is likeable - a young carer with a dentist phobia.
It's the characters around him that I didn't like. Winnie the social worker is very much a stereotype, and her biscuit munching annoying. I was a bit creeped out by Alfie's dad calling him "pup". And by Alfie constantly calling the underused Gabz, his "friend girl" as a "little girl"... She's in secondary school. I didn't understand why the dentist refers to herself as "Mummy" either.

Poor Raj, formerly my favourite character is taken out of his lovely corner shop context and put more firmly in the action, only to be "cowering" in every scene.

I didn't find a 'texting boy' character funny, maybe I'm just getting old...

And there were some plot questions I had:
*SPOILER ALERT*
What is the purpose of the acidic toothpaste - if the dentist wants teeth and the toothpaste destroys them, what good is that?!
Why does Alfie want a tooth from Raj and not from someone at school, many of whom seem to be losing their teeth every day?
Why can't the dentist just STAY DEAD?! How many times does she come back to life?
*END OF SPOILERS*

Walliams clearly admires Roald Dahl's books and emulates them (this time managing a Mr Twit-beard-like picture) but in my mind he falls short with his latest in measuring up. Dahl was almost Dickensian in his cast of supporting characters, Wallaims' aren't fleshed out. Even at 400 pages, this book resorts to visual gimmicks rather than revolting/witty descriptions. He's done it better in the past.

I didn't like the ending again, as with Ratburger. Too much of a chase (after chase after chase) with an ending I didn't want.

Am I an old misery guts? I hope not. I don't think Walliams will lose money with Demon Dentist, and I can see that it's going to be popular. I just think he's selling himself short by veering in this direction with his writing. Demon Dentist is in many ways his saddest book, but I found Billionaire Boy much more moving and that was about a rich kid! I found Boy in the Dress very upsetting - because a boy's dad missed his wife. These were more considered and character-driven, they didn't try as hard to win readers.

I didn't plan on writing this much. I just feel disappointed in Walliams a little.

I'm glad so many children are reading it, there's lots of techniques employed that they'll enjoy and learn from, it just really wasn't in the same league as earlier books from him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got my daughter hooked, 20 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Demon Dentist (Hardcover)
It's quite hard getting my daughter to read anything that she isn't forced by her school to read - so when she buried her head in The Demon Dentist I knew it must be pretty good.

I don't know what it is about David Walliams - maybe it's a puerile, childish sense of humour (which I mean as a compliment, in this case!) - but he seems uniquely able to communicate with children on a level they either understand or to which they can at least relate.

Personally, I'm not a fan of his humour - I think I must have been the only person in the country not to find Little Britain even mildly amusing (though I did rather like his recent school-based sitcom which co-starred Catherine Tate) - but anyone who can inspire children to read is all right by me.

The beauty of his books is that he can take the most unassuming characters, professions and situations and transport them into a bizarrely infectious set of circumstances. He did it with Gangsta Granny and Billionaire Boy - both of which my son, who, unlike his sister, is a voracious reader, adored - and he appears to have done it again with The Demon Dentist.

David Walliams may not always be welcome on my television screen, but he's welcomed with open arms onto our bookshelves. An undisputed five stars - if only for inspiring my daughter to put books on her Christmas list for the first time ever.