on 23 October 2013
I've lived in Glasgow all my life, and have always said it's one of the most beautiful cities in the world...if you look up. Well, I have to say, this book is a real triumph, capturing the character of Glasgow in all of the nooks and crannies you'd never think to look. I've recommended it to my foreign friends from University, but also to my local friends from home, because whether you're a tourist or a native, this book will definitely point you in the right direction for some beautiful sights. I recommend bringing along a pair of binoculars to really pick up on the detail of some of the statues and figures depicted, in real life.
on 3 April 2014
I've lived in or near Glasgow for well over 70 years. Always, like anyone who knows the city well and loves much of what he knows, I've been aware that its vast heritage of handsome Victorian buildings, including many before and after, represents one of the world's most visually impressive cityscapes. But in cities, we hurry and bustle, looking to our next urgent destinations, rarely pausing to let the cityscape snatch our breath away with form, proportion, elegance and, frequently, sheer virtuosity. What Adrian Searle and David Barbour do is to stop us in our tracks and make us look up and observe with a precise beauty and sharpness the sculptural detail that adorns so many of these buildings. They make me go back to many familiar buildings and see them for the first time. They present a stunning tour de force of the "statues, gargoyles and ornament on the walls and roofs of its grand buildings…[and] the city's residents seemed oblivious to their existence".
The photography is sublime (not a word I ever thought I would put in print), precise, evocative, and perfectly lit. It is a wonder that this has been achieved with subjects that are extremely inaccessible. But, further, the images are embellished by a selection of poems that add their commentary to the theme, perhaps especially Look Up Glasgow! by Colin Begg that takes no prisoners in its acid commentary on the merchants who patronised these wonderful architects and sculptors
I love just leafing through this volume in idle moments, picking up snippets wherever the page falls open, but it is organised in seven district covering all parts of the city containing notable sculpture, so it can be used to track down buildings district by district, and each site is accompanied by beautifully written very short notes that tell the reader why the authors thought merited inclusion. So it is a very sensible book, modern and precision built, but overall I just find it a fantastic delight.
on 26 December 2013
I was a little disappointed that the name of the building was not under the photograph of the carving/gargoile etc., and not even on the same page,and that I had to go to the end of the chapter or district to get the number of the photograph and try to match it to the description. Too much like hard work! This spoiled my enjoyment of discovering some unknown architectural delights.
on 25 November 2013
Having grown up around the beauty of Glasgow I have spent many years trying to dissuade others from believing its stereotypical image and encouraging them to see how wonderful a place it is, so I am gratified that I am not alone in appreciating the beauty of one of (if not the) most vibrant cities in Scotland.

What better place to start sharing this beauty and vibrancy than from the top? The photographs (by David Barbour) are visually stunning, highlighting the amazing detail in the stunning architecture above our heads, and the poems contributed by six of Scotland's leading poets are not only touching but very relatable to the photos which surround them, making them even more so.

A great buy for anyone interested in Glasgow, architecture, poetry or history, as a short blurb about the buildings photographed is also included. This is great for visitors to the city but also for residents who think they have become accustomed to what Glasgow has to offer. You will be surprised.

I know i'll be keeping my eyes pointed upwards from now on.
on 2 January 2015
Great book, if only people and visitors to Glasgow would stop looking at their boots and look up they would see the fascinating and rich historical architecture Glasgow has. Would have preferred the details of the images on the page, rather than to look up the index at the back of each area of section. The book is neatly divided into areas of the city so a walking tour/ reference can be made whist walking in these areas. Recommended coffee table book.
on 27 May 2015
Great little book that gives you a great insight into Glasgow a truly making city with dozens of architectural gems steeped in history , no wonder this is the best city break in the world.

The larger edition is great but won't fit in your pocket , don't eat at Greggs find somewhere local that sells square or links pronounced skwerr ! And you won't go far wrong.
on 9 April 2014
Look Up Glasgow with its beautiful photographs is a brilliant and unique guide book for both Glasgow insiders and tourists! It really inspires the reader to see Glasgow from a different point of view – especially the pocket version is perfect for taking it with you when exploring the city's architecture.
on 10 May 2014
Arrived earlier than expected and neatly protected in its package.
A fantastic book and more detailed than I thought and looked more expensive than purchase price. Therefore I am giving this a 5 star rating.
on 9 January 2014
Photographs are super but I would have preferred the information on each photo on the same page. You have to scroll to the end of the book to find out where these architectural gems are found in the city.
on 19 January 2014
Would have been much better if pictures had a description beside them ,rather than having to constantly refer to back of book ! Was not as good as I anticipated unfortunately