1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Diffi Cult 2nd album done and dusted!, 8 Nov 2013
Mr. R. Deoraj "JohnnyD" (England, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Static (Audio CD)
I'm a huge fan of their debut album and I still revisit it over 2 years after it's release.

So unique an album and the band themselves exuding a unique mystic that I wasn't sure how a follow up would pan out, so I was a bit unsure when I finally got wind of this 2nd album. After a listen to the first, I just had to get this.

It took a few listens to bed in (the first album hit the bulls-eye at the first listen) but I can safely say that they have delivered again.

If like me you loved the first album, you will not be disappointed. Same wall of sound effects and dreamy vocals but with an added maturity and fleshing out of their sound.

The only reason I've given this 4 stars and not 5 is that the vocals are somewhat in the mix, covered in, well, static! The vocals in the first album are out front and you could really connect with the bittersweet lyrics. On this album you're really need to tune your ear pick up the lyrics.

That aside, a worthy 2nd album. If you're new to the Cults. Buy the debut album first before buying this. If you've got the debut, buy this too.

I'm really intrigued by the thought of a 3rd album in the future however I did read somewhere that this duo were a couple whose relationship has now ended, albeit the band remains. Is the last we will hear of Cults? Fingers crossed it's not!!

Static