1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Power and energy from the drum maestro and his crew! (4.5), 1 Nov 2013
Ben Bottle (Gloucestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Protocol II (MP3 Download)
The ever reliable Simon Phillips delivers.
An amalgam of instrumental rock/jazz fusion played to perfection by the drum maestro and his very talented cohorts.
Produced and recorded by Phillips at his Phantom Studio he plays the only way he knows how; to perfection!
With Andy Timmons on guitar, Steve Weingart on keyboards and Ernie Tibbs on bass, there is no fear of anything but artistry.
If I were to nit-pick, I'd say that there is a lack of invention in the music. By this I mean that it seems a bit formulaic.
Some MIGHT find the cleanliness and reliability a bit sterile, but I have no problem with this possibility. However - it has plenty of energy!
I bought "Protocol I" on its release many years ago, but that was little more than an EP, with Simon playing to a backdrop of sequencers, with (I think), some guitar from his mate Ray Russell. This is now available as an extended version on MP3 - worth checking out, if, like me, you're into all things Phillips!!
Summarily, this is darn good stuff, IF this kind of instrumental music is your bag - call it "Rofusion". It's crisp, clear and energetic.
I'd prefer to give it 4.5!!

ARRAY(0xa3cd887c)