5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars is just not enough
Published 7 months ago by Paul B

3.0 out of 5 stars Disc 1 = commercial / Disc 2 = trance
The first disc is very commercial, verging on EDM sounds. Highlights for trance lovers are probably track 11 (Matt Darey - Point Zero) and 18/19/20 - classic mix of As The Rush Comes, then updated versions of Bullet In The Gun and Universal Nation.

Published 7 months ago by ianon

3.0 out of 5 stars Disc 1 = commercial / Disc 2 = trance, 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: Oakenfold Cream 21 (Audio CD)

The second disc gets deeper (after a commercial start), and is closer to the sound that Oakenfold is best known for in his DJ sets, that sound being trance. The mix is good, flowing well throughout, and the track selection includes several remixes of classic tunes such as Not Over Yet, Perception, Silence, as well as newer tunes, and the best known versions of classics Wide Open Space and The Prophet.

As a lover of 90s trance, and more recently Above & Beyond, Armin et al, I would have rated the discs independently as:
Disc 1: 2 stars
Disc 2: 3 stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have done better..., 30 Dec 2013
This review is from: Oakenfold Cream 21 (Audio CD)
Average, some good bits, some boring bits. Expect a little more. Bring back the legendary Oakenfold of the late 1990s!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five stars is just not enough, 23 Dec 2013
This review is from: Oakenfold Cream 21 (Audio CD)
I am not in the habit of commenting on albums I have purchased, and I have to say; I have certainly been there and got the tee-shirt where dance music is concerned. Having said this I just can't resist commenting on this album, which I have not stopped playing since it arrived on my door step. Even though I pre date the artist by many years and my time in the Spanish isles certainly pre dates yours truly by more years than I would care to mention, I do believe my comments do stand the test of time coming from a very wide experience of the dance scene.
Back to the topic in hand. I have followed Paul with great interest for 2 decades now. One of my first absolute must listen to albums was Paul's Ministry of sound effort where he featured BT tracks for almost half the mix, absolute brilliance. After this I was hooked.
I could bang on about many of Paul's subsequent triumphs, 'Transporter' being one of them and his dalliance on the 3 disc Essential Millennium Mix (where he completely outshone Pete T (whose current album is a complete waste of space, sorry Pete but anyone can compile an unmixed favourites album)), but I am conscious that this review must focus on the album at hand and not the history of the artist. However as this album is effectively a retrospective I do believe what preceded does have some significance hence the pre-amble.
So getting to the album. It is absolutely sublime. Not technically superb as we might expect from this artist, but it is without doubt an absolute floor filler of the very highest standard in any nightclub you may care to frequent. It is in my view an accurate retrospective of the artist and his career and it has been delivered with great artistry and skill, nothing short of what we would have expected from the greatest DJ in the world.
I look forward to many more of these even though my spare bedroom is now fit to bust with everything that has already gone before.
As a footnote I must comment on tracks 6&7 on side 2. These 2 tracks I would always put in my all time top 10 - 'not over yet' (Grace) & 'Silence', and to find these so expertly mixed and remixed (I could not imagine anyone could better the original Grace track, but this comes very very close), I have to say has absolutely made my decade.
PAUL, YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE STAR. LONG MAY YOU REIGN.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lessons in Trance..., 11 Dec 2013
G. Sexton (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oakenfold Cream 21 (Audio CD)
One thing is for certain... anyone who is familiar with Oakenfolds style and portfolio of releases will know that when he has something to say, the whole world gets to know about it. This latest release echo's some of Oakenfolds past experiences and moments and combines them together with a blast of modern tracks. The compilation is split in two - Disk 1 focuses on the newer sounds of the dance scene while disk 2 focuses on sounds from a little further back in a bang up to date but harder and deeper mix. Straight off, on disk 1 the first 5 tracks are effortlessly mixed. After track 6, Oakenfolds sheer determination and skills are tested to the max as he pushes and shoves his way though a stomper of electro sounds which I am sure a lot of younger listeners will enjoy on their MP3 players. Some classic tunes are dropped through the entire set as the direction and mode continuously shifts. Disk 2 combines a few of these contemporary elements with some subtle sounds from the past and again, tracks 1 - 9 are effortlessly combined in a manner that has now become part of this DJ's signature sound and contains some cracking remixes. The rest of the mix is a combination of deep and dark trance like sounds with some spooky memorable twists for the more discerning listener. It may be argued that the 2 disks reflect each other in matters of opinions but I get a feeling that the more times you listen to disk 2, the more you will get to fall in love with it...

5.0 out of 5 stars Cream 21, 9 Dec 2013
This review is from: Oakenfold Cream 21 (Audio CD)
This is a great album with some belting mixes of Perfecto classic tracks with some more recent top tunes also. The album doesn't feel like a mish mash mix. There is good continuation right through the album journey and Oakey has really spent time sequencing the tracks. The best dance album I've bought in 2013 and it blasts all the other 2013 Cream albums out of the water. This is back to the roots of Cream with a mix of harmonious and pumping tracks. For Cream, Perfecto and Mr. Oakenfold fans, this is a MUST buy in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cream 21, 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Oakenfold Cream 21 (Audio CD)
Get very strange looks when my music tastes are revealed, at 59 I should not be into this genre. What do they know, it is brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cream + Paul Oakenfold = 5 Stars, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Oakenfold Cream 21 (Audio CD)
It's been a while since Cream and Paul Oakenfold collaborated on a mix album and Cream 21 is certainly worth the wait. It's hard to define the sound on this album as there's a few old classics mixed together with mostly new/recent releases but Paul's mixing is really clever and he maintains a certain pace and excitement throught both CDs giving it a refreshing feel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oakey on form again!, 19 Jan 2014
JB Krickl "JBK" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oakenfold Cream 21 (Audio CD)
Brilliant mix of classic tunes (mainly Perfecto) and new/recent releases... mixing is spot-on as expected and many of the older songs are remixes and fresh versions (they don't sound dated either)... great addition to any trance collection and doesn't give you 15 tunes you already have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oakenfold, 6 Jan 2014
This review is from: Oakenfold Cream 21 (Audio CD)
I got this as a Christmas gift by mistake, instead of Paul van Dyk, after getting over my disappointment i gave this a listen & i have to say i am impressed, this is very good. Oakenfold is good, but he aint no PvD, but this is a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oakenfold Cream 21, 1 Jan 2014
Mr. R. Taylor (Ipswich, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oakenfold Cream 21 (Audio CD)
This is a superb album with not a bad track on it. For the style of music its the best I've listened to, but trying is appreciating!