on 31 December 2014
First up let me give you the info I couldn't find anywhere:

Battery life in real world usage (office, wifi, screen brightness on full, downloading and browsing) is a little over 6 hours.

Linux wise, it's a piece of cake from my limited testing - ubuntu 14.04 lts. Keyboard map was spot on and trackpad (including multi touch), all hardware, function keys and the usual niggles worked right out the box. You will have to set 'NOMODESET' during initial installation, but thats the only niggle. linux mint 17.1 had no graphics issue from the installer.

Windows 10 is working absolutely fine also!

You will need a 16GB USB key to make a backup of your windows 8.1 install as soon as you get it - there are no install disks. It took about 2 hours on my slow stick and used 14.2GB. You really do need to do this - if you ever need to reinstall it could save you a massive headache!

Out the box, there is a LOT of bloatware which can be removed from the control panel. The disk is partitioned into 2X220GB drives, with about 24GB used on the C drive. There are also a couple of acer hidden partitions on the disk for backups and resets. I'm not going to be using them, so deleted them and reclaimed another 20 odd GB.

As for a hardware review, its absolutely blinding! I'm really impressed, although i did buy it open box from amazon depot deals for £220 - highly recommended, not a scratch on it, warranty not started yet!- its very light weight and in normal use doesn't get too warm or make much noise. It's not a gaming laptop, so if you play a bit of minecraft it will get warmer and you may hear the fan.

Cons (because you care about them more than pros):
-The power button is next to the left USB port, if you are not careful using it, you'll put the machine to sleep
- The keyboard is not backlit; could be a problem if you work in the dark.
-The display has very poor veiwing angles; for individual use it's perfect - watching a film as a group wont work.

Pros:
-The display is beautiful and very clear! Sure its not a macbook retina screen, but this laptop's 1/3 the price!
-You get an i5 at this price. (4200U)
-Very portable; super thin and light, the metal topcase and lide feel very nice quality.
-The track-pad - it feels a bit "clicky" but works really well and is a great size.
-Rear HDMI,USB,LAN ports; no more cables sticking out the side of the laptop when docked!
-Rear USB3 is powered when off, meaning if you're in a hotel with 1 plug you can charge the laptop and your smart-phone from one outlet, even if the laptop is off.
-Dolby sound is very good! if you're watching a film on your own you wont be disappointed!
-Decent webcam for skype.

Overall I highly recommend this laptop - it certainly feels like you are getting about twice your money's worth, which you are. At full wack (nearly £600) I'd want better viewing angles, but at the £220 I paid, or the £300 listed here, its an absolute steal!
on 6 June 2014
it is a nice machine, the price was fair enough for everything it offers, Windows 8 is not great but one can used to it
on 31 January 2014
Had it for a month now very good the only roblem is windows 8 which will take a bit of time why change it so often ther was nothing wrong with 7.
on 14 January 2014
This notebook was dead on arrival, I turned it on and it would not start up, I contacted acer who said that they would take a look at it but if the fault was not covered under warranty I would have to pay for it to be fixed, which I was of course not happy about, so I will be returning it to amazon.
on 10 May 2014
I purchased this as an open box item, it came without any documentation or CD. The first thing I did was disable UEFI from within Windows 8 so I can install Linux. You can google how to do that. After booting into BIOS I was being requested a password. I suppose previous owner had set a password and after trying a few obvious ones (ACER, BIOS, password, etc) I end up locking myself out and BIOS requested me a "Unlock code" presenting a serial number. Updading the BIOS does not sort this issue. Eventually I found this page: bios-pw.com were I entered the unlock code and was given a password to introduce. Set a new password and disabled UEFI. Installed Ubuntu 14.04. Supported out of the box are WIFI, Haswell Graphics (which seem problematic so far on Debian), Bluethoot, Etherned port and sound. I tested all of them, so no hardware related issues on Ubuntu, I did try Debian and other than no acceleration on Xserver no issues to report.
Battery lasts around 6 hours, laptop is virtually silent. I stress tested the CPU and only then fan becomes active and can be quite loud. A good laptop at a reasonable price. The only thing I personally miss is the backlit keyboard.
on 5 December 2013
Looks nice and is very slim and lightweight, however as amazon didn't have much info on the spec I looked it up and thought that it was touchscreen and that it had a backlit keyboard which it doesn't. My mistake I suppose! It also seemed a little slow considering its an i5. Windows 8 is difficult to use to start with but you do get used to it.
on 22 May 2014
Getting used to it but very slowly ask me again in about six to ten months time and I will give you a better assessment