5.0 out of 5 stars incredible! must buy for music lovers, imo.
i've been anticipating the release of this for over a year now. anna's self titled first album was pretty much the album of the year for me last year. i barely had it off rotation, and when i did, it was primarily for artists i already knew and was already in love with.

Published 9 months ago by sadovsky

3.0 out of 5 stars One Breath
The previous Album was terrific but unfortunately this album just went on and on not going anywhere. It maybe a slow burner but I will listen to it again to see if I have missed out on anything.
Published 4 months ago by Ali Mac

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible! must buy for music lovers, imo., 19 Oct 2013
This review is from: One Breath (Audio CD)

when you have so much expectation placed on something that might not have even been completed yet (or in the case of 'one breath', being created at the time) because human expectation has a habit of ruining things for many of us. still, we do it and in doing so, take away the enjoyment of new things that stand alone and separate from what we already love.

'one breath' holds up. it's an entirely different and new experience. even though it's only her second album, anna calvi has a sound that is purely her own. with so much music around these days (something that should never end) it's difficult to carve an identity. the track listing reads like a book, the music and lyrics both take you on a journey whether you close your eyes or not, but the tracks stand alone on their own too.

great piece of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, 16 Dec 2013
A. Sweeney "I don't care what you call me" (Brighton, East Sussex) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: One Breath (Audio CD)
As someone who enjoyed Anna Calvi's début album a lot, I was looking forward to seeing whether she could follow it up with something quite as good. I'll cut to the chase - forget accomplishing something as good as her eponymous début, she has, in my opinion, probably bettered it. "One Breath" is an utterly magnificent piece of work, a series of powerful, dramatic, edgy compositions that radiate such beauty and artistry, it often takes your breath away. This exemplary piece of work could almost be described as a cross between the grandiose sound of Florence & The Machine and the edginess and left-field nature of Arcade Fire; I'm sure that lovers of both bands will find much to enjoy here, as well as those who bought and enthused about Anna's first album. "One Breath" is an album that I've found difficult to stop playing since I bought it, one of those rare beasts that is excellent from start to finish and that not only bears repeat playing, it demands it. It's not often that, when an album finishes, do I want to put it back on and enjoy it all over again, but Calvi's second album does that to me.

This album is song after song of atmospheric, crescendo-laden, orchestrally minded, artistic genius. "Suddenly" is a fantastic opener, a powerful, atmospheric piece with a rather catchy chorus, "Eliza" thumps, stomps, soars and is utterly magnificent artistic indie and the slow-burning "Piece By Piece" has rhythms and a feel reminiscent of "Hounds Of Love" era Kate Bush. "Cry" is a superb song that has some heart-stopping moments where the music literally explodes from the speakers whereas "Sing To Me" is a hauntingly beautiful song with a wintry feel and Calvi's voice drifts over the music like a sea-bird over the ocean. The irrepressible "Tristan", possibly the most commercial piece on the album, reminds me of Sinead O'Connor, although, in my opinion, a lot better. Title track "One Breath" starts with whispered lyrics and slowly adds instrumental layers until the classical-influenced instrumental epilogue, "Love Of My Life" is a blustery, bombastic, brilliant composition, the kind of song Arcade Fire excelled at, at the start of their career and "Carry Me Over" ebbs and flows gorgeously with Anna's beauteous vocals being poured over harp (or harp-like) arpeggios. The penultimate song, "Bleed Into Me" is an expansive, sumptuous composition with natural, flowing rhythms that seem to echo the ocean's tides and the album finishes with "The Bridge", a delicate piece of choral music that seems almost like something you would hear in a church or cathedral.

Anna Calvi has most definitely risen to the challenge of the "difficult second album" and has produced a dark, edgy, beautiful, mature and fully accomplished piece of work, arguably even better than her much loved and critically acclaimed début. "One Breath" is an album that I have fallen deeply in love with, a highly original, intricate and artistic project that takes the listener on an emotional journey throughout the eleven individually remarkable songs. It is also a piece of work that manages to be, as a whole, greater than the sum of its individual components and the kind of album you really need to listen to in the old-fashioned, linear way to fully appreciate the dynamics and context of the songs. Admittedly, there are breathtaking tracks which you can enjoy in isolation, but, overall, Anna Calvi's truly excellent second release is a perfect example of why the album format really cannot be allowed to die. With such an excellent follow-up, the multi-talented, multi-instrumentalist has cemented her credentials as one of the most exciting, emotive and interesting voices making music today. There are very few albums that have been released this year that I would deem essential listening, but this is one of them; buy and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars whispers & screams: vol 2, 23 Oct 2013
Mr. D. Simms "dunczilla" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Breath (Audio CD)
Several times over the last fortnight, as I've slowly got to grips with Anna Calvi's second album, I couldn't help but remember an apocryphal tale of an early Banshees rehearsal, at which the new boy John McGeoch was asked by Siouxsie for the sound of a horse falling off a cliff. Ever the gentleman he duly obliged, and went on to provide many more such equine disasters across much of their classic work. I mention it not as a lazy "she's a bit goff like Siouxsie" comparison, but to draw parallels with what is evidently Anna's fearless approach to sonic experimentation.

For anyone who loved Anna's debut album - and I did - there is plenty here to love too. That widescreen sound which calls to mind any number of technicolour westerns, Wim Wenders movies or Ennio Morricone soundtracks is still present in spades, most evidently on the sublime "Sing to Me", which effortlessly manages the most difficult of tricks; that of a song you feel you've known forever on first listen. Hushed whispers, dramatic crescendos, soaring vocals that border on the operatic... tick, tick and also tick. This time around there are lush orchestral string arrangements too, used to particularly exquisite effect on the title track as a release to the tension she herself has built up.

One Breath, however, is altogether a much grittier, messier and more visceral affair than its predecessor. There's a sense of growing confidence as an artist throughout the album, evidenced by Anna's preparedness to rip apart the very structure of a song, baring the blood and bones of it to us, and leaving the carcass in her wake. "Show me where it hurts!" she cries, before swerving to avoid the roadkill. (So THAT'S where the horse landed...) Even the sonic space itself, the one she constructs so meticulously, is abruptly slammed out on the intensely claustrophobic "Love of My Life" - the one moment I took the headphones off going "what the f..?"....before finding out it was already stuck in my head. Oh-OHH!!

There's plenty more - the one note in "Bleed Into Me" that reduced this grown man to tears, the ethereal angelic choir that dissipates like the mist... in fact I was quite astonished when I noticed the whole thing clocked in at just under 40 minutes; I felt like I'd been wrung out to dry.

Ultimately this album is the one thing I didn't even dare hope for - a departure, and a challenge. Yes, I know, that's two things - so sue me, it's half four in the morning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing, provocative and heavenly., 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: One Breath (MP3 Download)
Anna Calvi has only recently landed on my radar but I can't believe I missed her first time around. I'm off to see her at Manchester's Albert Hall on the 6th Feb and I've heard her live show is better than her recorded one - if that's true, I'm in for a real delight.

It's hard to place Anna Calvi into a specific genre but that's the beauty of creating music from the heart. It's a little bit experimental, a little bit Western Film soundtrack, all glued into place by a really very good voice.

It's relaxing, provocative and heavenly all in one shot. One Breath is like watching a masteress at work, a real delight to be part of an amazing journey. Can't wait for the live show!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rated, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: One Breath (Audio CD)
Can't rate this album highly enough, Anna Calvi is an abso
lute treasure, a true musician in an age of mediocrity!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Follow Up From Anna, 7 Oct 2013
Mr. M. Sloanes (Lancashire,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: One Breath (Audio CD)
Have had this album for a few days now as I preordered my copy direct from Domino Records & got a signed copy. If you loved Anna's debut album you will love this also,it has all of her trademark guitar playing & singing but with more added to the mix. There are more percussive sounds,keyboards, strings, and generally more layers to the songs but there's that thunderous guitar riffing that initially on a couple of songs sounds totally wild and off the wall but gives that dark edge that makes her music so exciting. It is similar to PJ Harvey at times and some of the percussive sounds and noises remind me of Tom Waits Bone Machine. There isn't really a track on the album that i dislike and its a confident follow up from her debut album that doesn't disappoint. On first listen I thought maybe there was too much going on production wise but it gets better the more you listen and shows what a truly exciting and talented musician she is. Can't wait for the tour

5.0 out of 5 stars A great second album, 31 Oct 2013
This review is from: One Breath (Audio CD)
More varied, yet still in the same vein as the debut. Both have been on rotation in my car for the last two weeks. I may have done some singing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 23 Oct 2013
This review is from: One Breath [VINYL] (Vinyl)
This is the first review I have ever written and I was inspired to do so because of the sheer magic of this album. I was introduced to her first album by a friend and was amazed at this new talent. This second album is an excellent follow on. Her voice remains haunting as it soars up and down vocal ranges and ampltudes. The percussion is, once again, excellent and Anna's guitar playing is sublime. Buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars One Breath, 5 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars One Breath, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: One Breath (Audio CD)
A great follow up album - with the same haunting and dark melodies. Anna's music is great, and it draws you in. Absorbing. Well worth a listen.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›