5.0 out of 5 stars Come Home To This!
Published 17 months ago by Leah Graham

2.0 out of 5 stars NO
Published 14 months ago by Ancass

5.0 out of 5 stars Come Home To This!, 6 Oct. 2013
Leah Graham (Tenerife) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I have just finished my first Christmas book of 2013 in the middle of September (I know) and it was AWESOME. I actually said on Twitter that, really, there's no perfect time to read Christmas books when you live on an island that has permanent sunshine 99% of the time, and because I had set up an interview with Jenny Hale, I decided September was as good a time as any to read her debut novel Coming Home For Christmas, and I am so glad I did because it was such a wonderful, enjoyable novel. I finished it in a day, and it's been a while since I've been this caught up in a book but I loved every page and I was desperately rooting for Allie to get herself a happy ever after and I knew exactly who I wanted her to get her happy ending with!

Coming Home For Christmas introduces us to Allie, who after losing her job, returns to her mother's house in Virginia and finds herself having to start all over again. Enter her sister, Megan, a real-estate mogul who has the perfect job for her sister; becoming the in-house manager of Ashford house, which belongs to the wealthy Marley family. The house is to be sold, but until it is, Robert Marley needs someone to look after everyone in the house and Megan thinks Allie is the perfect choice. Allie takes the job and finds herself more than embroiled in the life of the Marley family, and as she gets to know the Marley family better, it may be that Allie could be the family saviour when it comes to the stubborn Marley's...

I fell in love with Coming Home For Christmas as soon as I was introduced to both Allie and the Marley family. It's very rare that I find myself loving an entire family, but the Marley's were just awesome. Not your typical rich family, they weren't particularly snobby or anything, they didn't just see Allie as the `help' and I just immediately wanted to become a part of their family! I wanted to live in Ashford, in the beautiful sounding house, with wings! WINGS! Can you imagine living in a house that has wings? It'd be like living in the White House! I could barely put the novel down because all of the Marley's had such wonderful personalities and they clicked with Allie in such different ways that I had to continue reading. Allie herself was awesome. I loved her. Easily one of my favourite female characters. Her rapport with the entire family was so good that I half expected for her to be some distant relative! Where to start with the Marley's, though? Robert, I suppose. Head of the house, a bit stubborn, doesn't really like words, without even realising it, he took my heart! Much like he took Allie's. Despite their employer/employee relationship I felt it was something more right from the off and I loved it. I loved how Allie brought out the best in Robert, it says a lot that I was totally all for Robert despite all the horrible things he was doing! He rather took my breath away.

The rest of the Marley's were no slouches either. I liked Kip's innate funness and enthusiasm. The way he just went for it with Allie and to heck with the consequences. I loved how he and Allie flipped for whether they'd date or not, it was so cute. And Pippa! Oh, Pippa! The matriarch of the house, I could imagine her zipping around on her scooter all day long. Even Sloane, who wasn't featured as much was a wonderful character. In particular I adored her two kids. I really just loved this book so much. It's set in Virginia and it made me want to visit, it's so rare to find a book set in the USA that's not New York or Boston or LA. It was so well written, Jenny Hale is such a fabulous writer with such an eye for characters you'll fall in love with. I certainly fell in love with Robert. I can't wait for Jenny's second book, this was just super amazing and it kept me reading all day with barely a pause. Read it, it's the perfect Christmas story, heck it's perfect for any time of year. Coming Home For Christmas, remember that title and buy it now, you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Christmas read!, 31 Oct. 2013
Okay, it's still October but I love Christmas and this is third Christmas book I've read so far and what's not to like? This has a good story with very good characters and is written by a female (Jenny Hale) which always adds an extra warmth to romantic stories. I really liked Allie and Robert, and the focus on how important family are - especially at Christmas! I read this book in no time at all and can highly recommend it. If you like a bit of comedy thrown in with your romantic Christmas reads, I can also recommend I'm Dreaming of a Wilde Christmas (A laugh-out-loud romantic comedy) which will have you howling!

From what I can gather, Coming Home For Christmas is Jenny Hale's first book? - if it is, then I believe she has a great future ahead of her as writer. I will look out for more of her books.

4.0 out of 5 stars WOnderful!, 6 Dec. 2014
What a lovely and heart warming Christmas story. <3

To be honest: I took me a while to get into the story, but then I loved it and couldn’t put it down.

Allie is a very charismatic character with a big heart and caring personality. She wants to be independent and find a new job, but then her sister tells her about a job at a rich families house. She meets her employer Robert once and that’s it.

She gets to know his family, especially his brother Kip. Well, to two of them get closer and it’s interesting to read about her reactions and feelings towards him.

Allie is on the phone with Robert A LOT. You can sense their chemistry immediately. She tries to convince him to come home for Christmas. After a lot of times of saying no, he comes.
This is not a typical lovestory, which makes the book really special in my eyes. The main characters get to knoe each other over the phone and via emails and already fall in love (well, they don’t realise it) and only after that they meet and think about their real feelings.

I loved the scenes with Allie and Robert. So emotional and interesting. I was always waiting for something to happen between them. Well, …

It’s great to see how one person can change a whole house and a man. Sometimes all you need in life is love and the right person beside you.

There are still some twists and turns in the story, which make it more lively and unexpected.

Such a wonderful Christmas read, can’t wait to read Jenny’s next novel.

Rating: 4.5

5.0 out of 5 stars Festive & fabulous, 29 Oct. 2013
There's something magical about Christmas and reading about it nearly 3 months before the event is no exception.
Whilst the rain pelted the windows outside I was sat in the warm being enveloped by the festive spirit contained in Jenny Hale' words.

Coming Home for Christmas tells the story of 32 year old Allie who finds herself moving back in with her mother after 11 years away from home. So much has changed and Allie knows it's not just her duvet cover she's outgrown.
Knowing that she needs to find work, Allie although reluctant, takes the advice of her sister Megan and applies for the job of Estate Manager at Ashford Estate, a multi million pound mansion.
After meeting the head of the Estate Robert Marley, Allie soon finds herself caught up not just in the estate but the family too.
Could she be their Christmas angel?

I loved this story, there wasn't one unlikable character, in fact I found myself loving the Marley's and their family dynamics.
Kip is flirtatious and good looking, you can feel the attraction him and Allie have from their very first meeting.
But for me the relationship between Allie and Robert had me enraptured, the changes the employee brings out in the employer is nothing short of a Christmas miracle.

A festive debut to warm the heart whatever the season, which leaves you eagerly awaiting more from Jenny Hale!

2.0 out of 5 stars NO, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Coming Home for Christmas (Kindle Edition)
I can't say I enjoyed this book. I love reading books with a Christmas theme at this time of year but this book was a disappointment. It just did not ring true for me Alli's presence in the house seemed superfluous as there already was a full time staff running the place- surely they would have employed a housekeeper! I found Kit's behaviour towards her embarrassing and improbable.
The ending was predictable but I was glad I had finally reached the end of such a boring book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Christmassy escape from the mundane, 4 Dec. 2013
`Tis the season and time for another Christmas novel review. Unlike my review for A Cinderella Christmas, Jenny Hale's Coming Home for Christmas places a lot more emphasis on the holiday which is fine as long as you're in the mood. Thankfully I was!

I liked Hale's Christmas offering and it definitely got me a bit excited about Christmas. I did find certain aspects of the book a bit of a stretch though, particularly Allie's interactions with Robert almost from the start. I couldn't imagine speaking/emailing to my boss in that tone, no matter how attractive they were. Allie seemed to be more of the meek type and I just didn't find her flirtation and up-frontness with Robert to be entirely within character and believable.

My favourite character was by far Pippa, the matriarch of the Marley family. A cranky old lady, Pippa offered some brilliant comedic genius to the story and she reminded me a lot of my great-grandmother. I definitely had a soft spot for her!

All in all, Coming Home for Christmas was a heartwarming book and a great escape from the everyday.

Thank you to Bookouture for providing a copy in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read ! couldn't put it down !, 23 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Coming Home for Christmas (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book ! It didn't drag on like some chic lit books , was exciting from start to finish ! Would def recommend !

5.0 out of 5 stars Coming home for Christmas, 23 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Coming Home for Christmas (Kindle Edition)
I found this a magical and enchanting story it was a bit obvious how it would end but nevertheless it was still a lovely book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great christmas read, 22 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Coming Home for Christmas (Kindle Edition)
A lovely christmas story. Characters that you really start to feel for. I would highly recommend. Looking forward to more books from Jenny hale

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 3 Nov. 2013
Mr. Christian Nicholson "wiiiiiiiiiiiii" (Beverley, East Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coming Home for Christmas (Kindle Edition)
I read this book in 2 days! I loved although it may have been a little predictable. The romance, importance of family and holiday antics were enough to get me into the Christmas spirit. Thank you.

Coming Home for Christmas