on 26 September 2015
Jordan

For some reason I assumed this sequel to The Wolf of Wall Street would be about Jordan Belfort's time in prison. In fact, he doesn't go to prison until the very end of this book. The bulk of it details his legal case, with lengthy recaps detailing how he came to be the Wolf in the first place. The lengthy recollections of his earlier life allow for further stories of excess, and also a strong sense of how he slowly develops and matures. There's also some moving writing about his growing relationship with his children, who come to symbolise hope for his (post-criminal) future. At the end he talks about how reading Tom Wolfe's Bonfire of the Vanities helped him find his writing voice, and you can certainly see the influence – larger-than-life characters are often built up into nicknamed caricatures, from his second wife ('The Duchess') to his Russian girlfriend ('KGB'). Then there's 'OCD', 'Magnum', 'The Witch' and so on. If you enjoyed the first book, you should find this every bit as entertaining. He writes so well that he is entertaining and insightful whatever the subject matter.
on 10 March 2014
This is more about the legal case that got Jordan Belfort to trial. What is missing is the hardship that the people he defrauded and deceived went through, what's also missing is the fact that he ratted out on his friends to reduce his term, such actions would have you as a marked man looking over his shoulder all the time. But still he is again a successful businessman, he should have been stripped of any right to be rich again.

I will never work out the American justice system. Just recently a UK worker at Lloyd's Bank got 2 years for stealing I think £500k from customers accts , you can guarantee that that person will never work again. And here we have Belfort making money on the story of his gregarious life and heinous crimes. God Bless America.

I'm glad I read this book, I certainly don't idolise the guy but one day I hope Belfort gets the come uppance he deserves.
on 6 February 2015
Sometimes felt like I was listening to the kid who lied at school to get friends. Would love to read the other side of story, OCD's.

Also, if you have read the first book, there is a lot of overlap.
on 12 January 2015
Where the Wolf of Wall Street covers Jordan's fall from grace, this book covers his rise to power as well as what happened after he got caught. All the questions raised in the Wolf of Wall Street are covered here and, told in Jordan's fast paced and very readable style, this is hard to put down. I would definitely recommend it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 February 2014
"I read that book from cover to cover - 698 pages in a single day - and I laughed out loud the entire time. I was blown away. Mesmerised. Not only was it the most brilliant book I had ever read but also there was something about the writing style that resonated with my soul...."

So says the Wolf Jordan Belfort, referring to Tom Wolfe's book "The Bonfire of the Vanities".

This "Catching the Wolf of Wall Street" book is the follow-up to his original "The Wolf of Wall Street". There is inevitable duplication with the first book - but enough new material here to keep us interested all over again.

What I find impressive is just how well written this book is. I enjoyed reading it so much that I began to suspect a ghostwriter had been hired to do the job. After all, this guy was not a writer. He was too busy with certain other activities to have any time left for writing.

I would have probably come away with that ghostwriter belief intact - except for what Belfort reveals at the end of the book:-

"... I must have read that book two dozen times, until I knew every word by heart. And then I read it again, to learn grammar. Then I paid my trusty laundry man, Mark the meth dealer ( who happened to be an avid reader), ten cans of tuna to go through the book with a fine-tooth comb and write down every simile and analogy on a separate piece of paper. Then I read it over and over again until I could recite them in my sleep. And before I knew it, a voice popped into my head: my writers voice. It was ironic, glib, obnoxious, self-serving, and often despicable, but, as Tommy explained it, it was funny as all hell."

The "Tommy" he is referring to is Tommy Chong (Of Cheech and Chong fame). Someone with a sense of humour placed Belfort in the same cell as Chong. Tommy Chong encouraged Belfort to get his exploits down on paper.

So what is Belfort up to nowadays? As indicated in the DiCaprio movie, he is now a motivational speaker or "power of persuasion" type of mentor. And he has his own website at jordanbelfort.com. Watching an "interview" he gives on the site, he seems to be morphing into a clone of Anthony Robbins.

One thing is for sure. This guy will never be dull.
on 5 December 2015
Jordan Belfort is an amazing storyteller. It's amazing to me that someone as self destructive and conceited as him has been able to stay out of trouble as long as he has. This book wasn't near as good as the first though. Too many feelings and dumbassery.
on 9 April 2014
Great book well worth a read. Maybe even better than his first book, wolf of Wall Street. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in stock markets
on 28 April 2016
I didn't expect the book would be anything as good as the first one (The Wolf of Wall Street)....but it's as good as. From page to page it is amusing, easy reading (flows nicely), and a great insight into a crazy world. I wished i had read it before i was stung out of a considerable amount of money, as it certainly opened my eyes wider. The crime is despicable, so i am still wondering why i like this guy.
on 17 May 2014
Corruption and excess in everything. How this guy is still alive beats me, but what a life. He had it all, then he got caught. A modern tale of what is wrong with the capitalist system. It was people like this who caused the last recession. But even so it is a compelling and enjoyable read with pathos and comedy. I would definately want to party with Jordan Belfort.
on 27 April 2014
American swindlers are a crazy lot. Jordan Belfort is one of the more extrovert and hilarious. The movie made on this book is just a glimpse of his outrageousness.

Both funny and daring, the Wolf of Wall Street will amaze with its boldness. I shouldn’t root for the bad guys, but Jordan is so self-effacing in his grandiose, I cannot help but like him.