4.0 out of 5 stars The Fratellis continue their journey in style
5 years on from Here We Stand and their new album We Need Medicine sounds familiar. It's not their best work in my opinion, but it is a good album.

For the most part music taste is subjective but here's my break down...

Published 11 months ago by Evan

3.0 out of 5 stars Lively and upbeat
On the plus side the album rocks along at a rate of knots. Sadly it lacks the catchy anthems of 'Costello Music' and fails to reach the high points of 'Here we Stand' (and there are a few). Anyone would think it was hastily written and cobbled together for a reunion tour.
Published 5 months ago by Rob Hatcliff

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Fratellis continue their journey in style, 7 Oct 2013
Evan (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: We Need Medicine (Audio CD)

For the most part music taste is subjective but here's my break down...

On first listen, the album lacked that particular Fratellis rocking-happy-jump-around-yet-poignant sound and came across as rather formulaic and uninspired. I LOVED the band when I discovered them and LOVED Costello Music and Here We Stand with the later still on high rotation for me. Unfortunately with We Need Medicine it didn't work for me.

That was until I played it again.

Halloween Blues is a cool introduction to the album and one of the highlights of the album for me. This Old Ghost Town follows up with a similar tempo and both the first two songs come in with that certain style that fans of the Fratellis will be familiar with and love. She's Not Gone Yet But She's Leaving is a pretty good easy going track. Seven Nights Seven Days again is familiar ground. Shotgun Shoes sounds like a bit of album filler. Whisky Saga is reminiscent of early Fratellis and a great rocking track. This is Not the End of the World is a good piano heavy song. Jeannie Nitro is an unusual sound and one of the better songs on the album. The title track We Need Medicine is the anthem of the album and a great one at that. Rock N Roll Will Break Your Heart is much more slowly paced and interesting. Lastly, Until She Saves My Soul is a nice song to end the album on.

The album is growing on me the more I listen to it. Certainly it isn't Costello Music (a good thing given it's over 7 years old) nor is it Here We Stand. It's an album in it's own right, more an evolved sound and continuation of the bands last album with some fantastic rock-along tracks and real belters. A decent solid third album by this great band.

I was disappointed with the album on first listen but having gone back to Here We Stand and then immediately onto this album the flow is brilliant. Having listened through 10's of times now it's growing on me more and more.

Highly recommended if you dig The Fratellis or even if you don't!

4.0 out of 5 stars the band evolves..successfully, 14 Jan 2014
Great CD. Not Costello music, but good music and a bit more varied. Jon's voice very soulful and hopefully this will be followed by more music

5.0 out of 5 stars They've done it again!, 5 Jan 2014
This review is from: We Need Medicine (MP3 Download)
Thought their first 2 albums were brilliant. After a long silence without releasing anything I was worried they'd run out of ideas and the next one might be a disappointment.... but definitely not!! Same creative powerful catchy sound as ever :-D I think it's difficult for bands to keep up that kind of momentum and keep producing new consistently good stuff so congrats Fratellis on another brilliant release. Absolutely excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hey It's the Fratellis, 13 Dec 2013
This review is from: We Need Medicine (MP3 Download)
They don't change, the write good melodic pop songs and they do it very well indeed. i always liek lsitening fo rthe interplay of melody and lyrics and these are here in abundance.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wicked comeback, it grew on me, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: We Need Medicine (Audio CD)
We Need Medicine! Is a really nice comeback album for the Fratellis, I felt that the lyrics were meaningful and the tunes were catchy.

Beats Here We Stand for me, but does lag behind Costello Music which was just fantastic. Ghost Town, Seven Nights Seven Days, We Need Medicine in particular are classic Fratellis songs, up-beat, catchy and memorable. Went to see the band live after hearing the album and they didn't dissappoint, would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to have them back!, 14 Oct 2013
C. Davis "Carl" (Burton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Need Medicine (Audio CD)
It's been four years since their last album, 'Here We Stand', so it's great to have the Fratellis back with an new album that is easily as good as their first two records.

There is definitely more of a country and blues influence on this album and some experimentation with different instruments - there is some pedal steel guitar on the final track, and several other tracks feature a brass section, one even has a saxophone solo that put me in mind of Wizzard!! Despite this, it's still a very recognisable 'Fratellis'-sounding record.

A lot of the songs sounded instantly familiar to me - whether this is because they've written great tunes, or have ripped off other great tunes, I'm not sure as I've only listened to it once, but it's definitely a great album, worth a tenner of anybody's gold!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: We Need Medicine (Audio CD)
I love every song on this CD, yes it is no Costello Music, but it is just as brilliant! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great live band!, 10 April 2014
Bought this album as was going to see them live, then could not go! Gutted! Great band and another great album!

3.0 out of 5 stars Lively and upbeat, 1 April 2014
This review is from: We Need Medicine (MP3 Download)

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad track on here, absolutely brilliant :), 23 Oct 2013
I have been a huge fan of the Fratelli's since the Costello Music album and I was so excited to find out they have a 3rd album coming out after 4 years of hiatus. I ordered the album now because I'm going to see them in November and wanted to be able to sing along to the songs!

I loved Halloween Blues on the first listen, it's very catchy with clever lyrics (although this is nothing new for the them)so I'm sure I'll soon know all the words. 'This is not the end of the world' is another one of my favourites, I am usually not a huge fan of repeating chorus' but I think it works really well here. 'Seven nights seven days' is the only track I'd heard before buying the album so this is not a new one for me but I have been listening to it a lot. I have not had the album for long enough to know all the songs properly, but I also really like 'Shotgun shoes', 'This old ghost town' and 'She's not gone yet but she's leaving'. Having listened to the whole album though I am certain that I will end up loving all of the songs.

In my opinion the sound of this album is closer to Costello Music than Here We Stand was but you can hear elements of them both in the songs, although obviously there are new sounds as well. I also think it's quite similar to Jon Fratelli's solo album.

I don't often buy CD's anymore, I think like most people, but I am certainly glad I bought this one. I think you will be too - I don't believe Jon could write a bad song if he tried.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›