5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Series. Can't Wait to Buy it.
Published 12 months ago by Jenny Grey

2.0 out of 5 stars So-so
We got bored after the second episode. It has the feel of Merlin without the charisma of the lead and any chemistry between the actors. I didn't find the stories that compelling either, considering what could be done with the subject.
Published 5 months ago by ACE

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Series. Can't Wait to Buy it., 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Atlantis - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I have loved every moment of this series. The characters have really grown on me since the first episode and I am going to miss it so much on a Saturday night. I can't wait to buy the box set when it becomes available and hope like mad a second series will be made. I love the Greek myth elements of the stories and the mystery that surrounds Jason. It has made me laugh, cry and gasp with excitement. I thought it was fantastic.

Although there were some areas that could be improved upon, I think this is a really solid start to a cracking series. You have to give programmes a chance to settle down and hit their stride. I am sure it will go from strength to strength, given the chance. Why people have to comment on their TV license fees being wasted, I don't know. There are a great many programmes that are made that I wouldn't want to sit and watch, but that's how it goes. The BBC make a variety of programmes that will suit all kinds of different tastes. I, for one, am glad that my money went on this offering. May many more series follow!

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting new series, 31 Dec 2013
Nadia "Fleet UK" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Atlantis - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I've always loved Greek Mythology so this series appealed even before I watched it. I wish people would stop comparing it to Merlin. Yes, it has the same writers and I guess the humour is similar and yes it occupies the same slot on a Saturday, but really, if a drama about an axe murderer occupied the same Saturday slot, would that be compared to Merlin too? Atlantis has a slightly darker feel to it, and I really think the writers have skillfully taken several elements of Greek Myths to combine into an original story with all the classic feeling of a Greek myth: quests, heroes, tragedy, love etc. If I wasn't such a Greek Mythology nerd, I wouldn't have known which stories they'd pinched from, and if it gets kids reading the Greek myths, then hats off to it. I suppose if the Merlin comparisons have one thing right, it's that the cast doesn't quite jump out at the viewer the way the Merlin actors did. They really were an amazing set of actors, but the Atlantis cast are just finding their feet. Mark Addy stood out in particular and I really like the writers' take on the Herculese character. Jason is the true hero, of course and I for one enjoyed every second of his screen time. As with any series, be it book or TV show, the first series is always the foundation. Writers use it to experiment with and establish their formula and look back over it at the end to fine tune any mistakes. Atlantis is still finding its feet and some epesodes were better than others but it has plenty of strengths and some twists I never saw coming. In summary, it takes a bit of getting into but I believe it is a promising start and we can expect good things from the second series. I've never yet seen any TV series I loved from the first epesode, not even Merlin.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good combination of action and comedy, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Atlantis - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Description of this series was challanging.
On a rainy sunday watched the whole series.
The humor together with Greek mythologie is good combination

5.0 out of 5 stars Really like this, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: Atlantis - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Great series if a little silly but what's wrong with that. Well made and well acted with great stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series - can't wait for season 2, 28 May 2014
This review is from: Atlantis - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I love seeing the interplay between the main characters, not to mention the love interest between Jason and Ariadne.

I adored Merlin, and this has so many elements of this series and its strengths in mythology. A MUST HAVE for the collector!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment!, 21 Dec 2014
This review is from: Atlantis - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I didn't like the first episode of this series after Merlin ended. It seemed a poor substitute. But now its really grown on me. Its fun. I enjoy watching it. There are areas wherte it copuld be improved but that happened with Merlin as well. I think some fight scenes are daft but others are thrilling. I love Sarah Parish as Pasiphae, she is brilliant. I like Aeysha Hart but she could do with being more regal anmd less 'weepy'. Jason could develop really well with his mates Pythafgoras and Hercules the buffoon. Lots of undercurrents developing. I like ther acting. A lot of critics say its wooden but they said that of Merlin. But thenm a lot said Star Trek was rubbish... Some people are never satisfied... I hope they develop Atlantis into at least 3 series. It deserves that much. I think the magic and the Jason past life story is intriguing. It should be alowed to develop. Some people, critics seem to expect perfection from the off. They would killed Dad's Army after the first series... Atlantis has promise. Merlin had promise was ended far too early. Lets hope Atlantis fares better. Series 2 thus far is averaging 4.5 million viewers. Lets hope that's enough to keep it going in ouir modern fickle TV audience environment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - A Rare Top BBC Show, 16 Nov 2014
This review is from: Atlantis - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I loved this series! I wasn't too sure about when it first aired, I thought it was just another crappy BBC show but got made to watch it round a friends house once and was hooked!

Yes, the acting isn't Hollywood/Oscar level but the cast are still fantastic actors. A couple of the storylines did seem like they were there just for the episode count but it has a continuous storyline involving Jason (unlike a lot of other BBC shows).

I thoroughly enjoyed this series.
If you like slightly "sci-fi" action, with a bit of romance & comedy, then I'd suggest you give this show a go!

The 2nd series has just started on the BBC (which is fantastic!)

Highly recommend

4.0 out of 5 stars Fancy some Greek ?, 20 Jan 2014
Jules (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Atlantis - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
A young man, Jason (Donnelly), is exploring the sea bed in a one man underwater mini-sub, in search of his missing father, when he get's into difficulty & sucked into some kind of bright light. The next moment, he awakes awash on a sandy beach in a place called, Atlantis. Where he soon makes friends & enemies, as he tries to find out more about his own past, while continuing the search for his father.

This fantasy BBC T.V show is obviously a gap filler until the cornerstone of it's Saturday night programming, Merlin, returns. None the less, it's quite consistently watchable , despite a few so, so episodes in the middle of the series, it's mixture of humor, Greek mythology, star crossed lovers & scheming power hungry royalty, makes it an entertaining show, albeit at times forgivably implausible for the sake of entertainment sake. Visually the Greek/Mediterranean setting which traverses from City to countryside, gives you that feeling of Atlantis being a large, beliveable, living & breathing place. The props, sets & costumes are all good quality, as are the special effects when called upon (okay it's not movie quality, but what do you expect). Along with the canny reuse of locations & some creaky sets, they achieve a lot.

Each week the show follows the exploits of three friends, who are always strapped for money & they're money making schemes usually backfire with entertaining results, they stick they're noses into things they shouldn't or trouble simply lands at they're door. Jack Donnelly (House of Anubis) is the dashing lead character (pictured center of the DVD cover). His role features a lot action scenes, and he excels at them well, although perhaps he is the weaker of the trio IMO when it's comes to acting ability. Mark Addy (The Full Monty) as the larger than life Hercules (pictured left), makes the show very enjoyable through his character, always bumbling & getting into trouble in one way or another. Along with his many character flaws which the others play off of well as the straight guys. And Robert Emms (War Horse ) excels as the nerdy Pythagoras (pictured right), who all together make for a great duo/trio of beliveable friends who get into scrapes each week. Sarah Parish (Cutting It) is good as the devilish & cunning villain, Queen Pasiphae. Aiysha Hart as the love interest, Princess Ariadne, shows promise handling forbidden romance & a battle of wills with her step mother. Also Co-stars Jermima Rooper (Kinky Boots) , Juliet Stevenson(Truly Madly Deeply) & Alexander Siddig (Primeval).

In conclusion, Atlantis is an enjoyable fantasy T.V series based on Greek Mythology that needs to be given a little leeway to enjoy. As a gap filler show it's done very well in it's own right & suitable for all the family, more than enough to make a 2nd series. Contains violence & some scary monsters similar strength to Dr Who. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 8 May 2014
D. Smith "cav mad" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Atlantis - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
I got rather hooked on this fantasy programme.

The important thing is not to get too hung up on historical accuracy and enjoy the interplay between the Jason, Hercules and Pythagoras and their adventures over the 14 episodes.

Those involving Jason's growing romance with Ariadne are very good and my personal favourite is Rules of Engagement.

Overall a good first series and really looking forward to season 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Great siries, cant wait for the next one, 27 May 2014
D. J. Astall "Megabyte" (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Atlantis - Series 1 [DVD] (DVD)
Great Series; the DVD contains other features that are great to watch as well. Very funny in parts and good action as well. Well worth buying

Atlantis - Series 1 [Blu-ray]
Atlantis - Series 1 [Blu-ray] by Jeremy Webb (Blu-ray - 2014)