Published 4 months ago by Tommy Dooley

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better
I liked this film, I really did. It was an enjoyable watch and a pretty fair adaptation of the book.

Published 5 months ago by JG78

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance, Love, Drama all in a Jane Austen theme park, and its brilliantly funny., 6 Mar 2014
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Based on the book by Shannon Hale this is a BBC Films adaptation and it is a little corker. We meet Jane Hayes played wonderfully by Keri Russell (`August Rush' and `Mission Impossible III'). She is completely obsessed with Jane Austen and all her works; she even sports a `I Love D'arcy' bag - he is fictional don't ya know. And has a cardboard cut-out of Colin Firth in her flat - dressed as D'arcy.

Well she decides to blow her life savings on a `life changing' trip to theme park extraordinaire, `Austenland'. As the name would indicate this is a total immersion event where you get to live the life of one of Austen's characters for a whole week. This means a trip to England (actually filmed down the road from me in West Wycombe Park). On arrival she discovers that her accompanying guest is fellow American Miss Elizabeth Charming (an Austenland given name) played with over the top brilliance by the excessively talented Jennifer Collidge - `Gentleman Broncos' where she is superb too. She is brash, loud and wants to dress in the costumes so she can have a cleavage to die for - and she steals every scene.

Anyway the week will have its ups and downs - social faux pas and consorting with `the help' from `below stairs' no less. There is also a real live Mr D'arcy and the Mistress of ceremonies is played with measured stuffiness and snobbery by Jane Seymour. Of course all the extras are actors and the lines between reality and fiction are sometimes too blurred to tell apart. As this is based on Jane Austen there is always going to be romance, trouble, heartache and in this case some real gut, laugh humour.

Yes this is a rom com but I absolutely loved it. The soundtrack is Emmy the Great and a great cover of Yazoo's `Only You' is waiting in here to be discovered too. I had better stop before I out `gush' myself. Just can't recommend strongly enough and even the run offs are great - pure quality.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable movie for an Austen Regency fan, 18 Feb 2014
Fiona "Fes" (Ealing, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I'm not keen on Austen 'takes', but found the idea of an Austen theme holiday fun. I enjoyed the movie tremendously. It's romance without been soppy. It's funny, especially if your into your Regency period romances (husband slept through it... tho this is no indication as he does this with most moves.. haha... so not for everyone) - but I wouldn't call it side splitting. I liked all the characters, tho I took a while to warm to the lead actress, I did warm to her. I will definitely watch it again - for JJ Field if nothing else ;) .

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)

But, and it's a big but. I might have given it five stars if it wasn't for one pretty major flaw. The lead actress. I'm really sorry to say this but there was just no animation in her and it left me wondering why anyone would be attracted to her character at all.
Maybe Kerri Russell is a bigger name in America and the idea was to get someone who might pull in the viewers but she just does not work in the character. To be honest, her character just made me feel little flat and it made me feel a little angry that the producers put someone in the role who seemed to act like she really didn't want to be in the film.

It might not be a classic, but anyone enjoying regency drama might like this as a change.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very unimpressive., 14 May 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
The plot has a great potential for comedy and romance. Neither works in the film.
Grotesque characters, unconvincing acting, dull screenplay.
Austen lovers will watch it anyway (as I have done), but the enjoyment is minimal.
Disappointment.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother buying this movie, 12 July 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This is one of the worst films I have ever watched

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, 15 April 2014
This review is from: Austenland (Amazon Instant Video)
What a disappointment. I love all things Austen and found the quality and story line weak and uninteresting. It was a wasted of acting talent.

1.0 out of 5 stars OMG, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I have always been a fan of making a classic into something contempary and yet keeping the essence of the original. Take Lost in Austen. A fantastic ITV drama which relayed the telling of Pride and Prejudice in a new and humourous way. This film just failed on every level. Despite starring the likes of Kerri Russell and JJ Field among others this film was neither funny or compelling. It lacked any real story or plot. The funny moments were non existent and the film appeared to be made on the cheap. The fact that the film was about a woman so obsessed with Austen that she wanted to visit Austenland and live the life she had dreamed of for so long, she very quickly became disinterested and bored along with the audience. Definitely not one I would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable film, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I loved the characters in this film. I would describe this comedy as satire and very witty. I found myself laughing most of the way through the film and Mr Nobley is very much a Mr Darcy. I would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good spoof, 16 Mar 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
We bought it as our son was acting in it. He said it was great making the film very entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Really good film to watch if you want cheering up or if you simply love Austen. Or fancy a bit of J J Field ;), 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Austenland (Amazon Instant Video)
If you like Jane Austen are any period dramas this is great. Don't think its true to the Georgian era as it is meant to be funny, so just enjoy it for what it is...a very good/funny Romantic Comedy with good looking men in fitting costumes woo!

Austenland [DVD] [2013]
Austenland [DVD] [2013] by Jerusha Hess (DVD - 2014)
7.00