4.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable movie for an Austen Regency fan
Published 2 months ago by Fiona

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better
I liked this film, I really did. It was an enjoyable watch and a pretty fair adaptation of the book.

Published 2 months ago by JG78

4.0 out of 5 stars A really enjoyable movie for an Austen Regency fan, 18 Feb 2014
Fiona "Fes" (Ealing, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I'm not keen on Austen 'takes', but found the idea of an Austen theme holiday fun. I enjoyed the movie tremendously. It's romance without been soppy. It's funny, especially if your into your Regency period romances (husband slept through it... tho this is no indication as he does this with most moves.. haha... so not for everyone) - but I wouldn't call it side splitting. I liked all the characters, tho I took a while to warm to the lead actress, I did warm to her. I will definitely watch it again - for JJ Field if nothing else ;) .

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better, 6 Feb 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)

But, and it's a big but. I might have given it five stars if it wasn't for one pretty major flaw. The lead actress. I'm really sorry to say this but there was just no animation in her and it left me wondering why anyone would be attracted to her character at all.
Maybe Kerri Russell is a bigger name in America and the idea was to get someone who might pull in the viewers but she just does not work in the character. To be honest, her character just made me feel little flat and it made me feel a little angry that the producers put someone in the role who seemed to act like she really didn't want to be in the film.

It might not be a classic, but anyone enjoying regency drama might like this as a change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Romance, Love, Drama all in a Jane Austen theme park, and its brilliantly funny., 6 Mar 2014
Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Based on the book by Shannon Hale this is a BBC Films adaptation and it is a little corker. We meet Jane Hayes played wonderfully by Keri Russell (`August Rush' and `Mission Impossible III'). She is completely obsessed with Jane Austen and all her works; she even sports a `I Love D'arcy' bag - he is fictional don't ya know. And has a cardboard cut-out of Colin Firth in her flat - dressed as D'arcy.

Well she decides to blow her life savings on a `life changing' trip to theme park extraordinaire, `Austenland'. As the name would indicate this is a total immersion event where you get to live the life of one of Austen's characters for a whole week. This means a trip to England (actually filmed down the road from me in West Wycombe Park). On arrival she discovers that her accompanying guest is fellow American Miss Elizabeth Charming (an Austenland given name) played with over the top brilliance by the excessively talented Jennifer Collidge - `Gentleman Broncos' where she is superb too. She is brash, loud and wants to dress in the costumes so she can have a cleavage to die for - and she steals every scene.

Anyway the week will have its ups and downs - social faux pas and consorting with `the help' from `below stairs' no less. There is also a real live Mr D'arcy and the Mistress of ceremonies is played with measured stuffiness and snobbery by Jane Seymour. Of course all the extras are actors and the lines between reality and fiction are sometimes too blurred to tell apart. As this is based on Jane Austen there is always going to be romance, trouble, heartache and in this case some real gut, laugh humour.

Yes this is a rom com but I absolutely loved it. The soundtrack is Emmy the Great and a great cover of Yazoo's `Only You' is waiting in here to be discovered too. I had better stop before I out `gush' myself. Just can't recommend strongly enough and even the run offs are great - pure quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, fun, fun!, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
This is not a film for those hoping to see a dramatic costume drama, a lesson of manners and accurate historical detail, but rather a really funny and silly film that brings all of your dreams of what it would be like to play an Austen heroine to the forefront. Great fun. A frothy film I will return to again and again.

3.0 out of 5 stars A [very] light entertainment for the die-hard Jane Austen fans., 18 Feb 2014
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
I am a Jane Austen fan, read everything she wrote, enjoy the adaptations. So, I could not have pass on the opportunity to watch "Austenland" on my long-haul flight.

The film is somewhat enjoyable, and occasionally funny. The whole Jane Austen and Mr Darcy obsession of the main character felt slightly blown out of proportion to me. I think maybe because the main character, the lead actress Kerri Russell, was not very animated and I simply could not imagine her to truly be obsessed on all things Jane Austen. She looked much more comfortable and natural at the end of the film, out of the poorly-designed period frocks, ready to board the plane to America. Same with the romance - there was really no chemistry between the actors. There were a lot of clichés and the whole film was cringe-worthy, like a badly produced TV sketch. But Jennifer Coolidge was a pleasure to look and laugh at.

It is not a classic, and not the typical Jane Austen film, but anyone enjoying regency drama and a light entertainment will enjoy this film. Do not expect a vivid historic drama or dramatic frocks or a heart-breaking love story. That said, I am now looking forward to reading the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming!, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Austenland [DVD] [2013] (DVD)
Comedy is never just black and white. There is a certain talent to getting it "right." Some movies go for the classy sort and in turn, earn viewer's gratitude. Others shoot for the wild and crazy, the sort that is lumped into the slaphappy. This Austen-inspired comedy of errors opts for the latter and the question on everyone's mind is, does it work?

Being a 30-something who lives a mundane existence and cannot keep herself from loving Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy is not something that endears Jane Hayes (Keri Russell) to the game of dating. Her friend is concerned Jane just wants the fantasy. But really, her love of all things Darcy isn't that bad... okay, so it is a bit obsessive which prompts Jane to strike a bargain with Molly. First she books a trip to Austenland an all-inclusive Jane Austen experience run by Mrs. Wattlesbrook (Jane Seymour), and if, upon her return she realizes regency life is just that, a fantasy, she'll give up her dreams of finding her own Darcy. With ticket in hand, Jane books a flight to London and lands smack dab in the middle of every girl's dream.

Once there, Jane befriends Elizabeth Charming (Jennifer Coolidge) and strikes up a friendship with the groundskeeper, Martin (Bret McKenzie). When she's thrown together with the moody and arrogant, Henry Nobley (JJ Field), Jane sees the faux in her childhood dreams. Ever since she set foot on Austenland's grounds, everything about being the heroine in her own Austen story has been an act... or has it?

Right up front, let me say that I had conflicting thoughts on this book-to-screen adaptation. Only my love of all things Austen-at-the-cinema kept me glued to theater openings related to 'Austenland.' Unfortunately, it didn't open at the most convenient of theaters, however we made a day out of it - and oh, my, what a fun adventure it was. Put thoughts of a proper, regency saga out of your mind; unlike the dialogue Jane Austen would have penned, this comedy is awkward and amusing over how funny it tries to be. Jane wove some subtle albeit wickedly good humor into her stories - satire with class, whereas this contemporary script makes many concessions to adapt to its 21st century characters. You've been warned. With that being said, I can in no way fault 'Austenland' terribly much since it inserts a modern girl into a world she only thought was her "perfect" ideal.

While this was setting itself up, one of the first things that stood out was the warp speed at which the script unfolded. We were barely given time to process Jane's addiction before she was jetting off to England. Little explanation is given as to the "why" behind neither Jane's shy, comfortable life nor the way she immerses herself in all things 1800s. Secondly, I cannot say how impressed I was with the cast. Initially, it may line up as a mish-mash of talent - veteran actors, unknowns and British talent, it's in the actual watching of the film that we quickly learn how well they work together. The entire cast doesn't just create some fun chemistry none of them seem uncomfortable with the fun dialogue or acting silly to make the audience laugh with glee - something the people in the showing I saw did plenty of! This wouldn't be a complete assessment of thoughts if I was negligent in mentioning the ending; I lovelovelove the ending (preceding the closing titles) of this film. Not because it was unique or any different than the ordinary script, but because it was sweet and the actors played it so charming, it created its own brand of special.

Bottom lining it, 'Austenland' is a delightful film that I look forward to re-visiting on DVD. Between some catchy, terrific music, throwbacks to well-known Austen scenes or dialogue (like a humorous caught-in-the-rain scene) and its refreshing cast, the movie is hard not to like. It's a refreshing turn after so many end-of-the-world box office picks - its part study in a contemporary woman, part whimsical and outrageous comedy. As I've yet to read the novel of the same name (it has suddenly moved up on my TBR pile), I cannot say how well the screen transfer was, however I quite adored everything about the film. There is more good to it than merely feeding Austen obsessions; the story is also careful to help us realize that even the best-laid fantasy is not necessarily better than reality - and it's admirable to see Jane standing up for herself, distinguishing between fiction and fact is necessary to keep ones sanity and she does it well. When we see the change in Jane at the end - a more confident person, it makes even the silly moments worth it.

From the crazy shenanigans to the absurd playacting and accents (courtesy of Georgia King and Jennifer Coolidge, respectively), 'Austenland' was a joyous journey, from beginning to end!