4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Storyline but disappointing style
Got this free kindle read as (a) love this type of storyline and (b) it was free.

Published 7 months ago by JP

3.0 out of 5 stars Urthfuture
You are subtly drawn into a post apocalyptic world where Urthmen , Lurkers and mutated wildlife abounds. Humans are a minority and hunted by all. Avery and June live a solitary life until, while hunting, Avery discovers other humans.

Published 10 months ago by Susie Wong

4.0 out of 5 stars Compelling Storyline but disappointing style, 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Planet Urth (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

I didn't enjoy the style of writing as it is very conversation led which makes it a bit stilted in parts. It was also a very simple read. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to struggle through a high-brow novel, but this book has a fairly adult plot written in a style suited to the younger reader.

So, why 4 stars - because I enjoyed the plot sufficiently to buy book 2. Book 2 was disappointingly short but I've given 4 stars as I will probably buy one more volume as I'm sufficiently hooked to know if the protagonists find their fabled city of human survivors.

There is an over laboured naivety in the authors' attempt to establish the sexual awakenings of the lead character which was crass, repetitive and boring. I would have enjoyed a bit more descriptive text rather than reading again about goosebumps and fleeting contact.

That said, all credit to the authors who, in spite of the unappealing style and brevity of the novels have caught my imagination and left me wanting to know what happens next . . .

4.0 out of 5 stars Katniss and her sister grip you from page one..., 17 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Planet Urth (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
This YA genre novel feels as if I am reading a movie... Every scene is plainly but beautifully laid out, I clearly see Katniss and her sister Pru... Sorry, AVERY and June, as they lurch between dangers and teenage lustings - This is ripe for a conversion to the screen, even if (and I must be honest here) it feels like we have met these characters before.

Saying that, the book was immensely readable - just two sittings for me, and I have small children - I barely get to eat my breakfast in just two sittings. I am not really target market, I'm over 22 for one. And apart from hormonal lusting aside (I do remember the days, just...) the Martucci's have managed to distill the dystopian teenage girl saving the world formula into a well crafted screenplay (in the making).

I thought I'd read cross-genre for once, and I'm glad I did. I'm not one for bludgeoning, and there is a fair bit of that - but nothing that your average fifteen year old hasn't already come across on the playground or video game... Planet Urth is a descriptive delight, a fast read and a good one. I might not give it to my children yet, but this maybe has the legs to be a series I remember by the time they are old enough to take over the world from mutants themselves.

If I don't succumb to rampant teenage lusting and glistening chestnut highlights and bronzed skin by that stage.... Lots of lovely hair and lovely skin. Lots.

3.0 out of 5 stars Urthfuture, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Planet Urth (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

This is a carefully targeted book towards teens, however if you are young minded ( like myself) it's not a bad read and its free. The story just gets going with fight scenes and a love interest when it finishes, I guess that's an old fashioned cliff hanger and an encouragement to read the next book. Which I will be giving a chance.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, bad result., 13 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Planet Urth (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I love the general idea and dystopian feel of this story (in fact, I'm writing my own - keep an eye out) but unfortunately I found this book boring and dull.
The protagonists, Avery and June, were dislikable from the start. Avery constant spoke like someone from the 1800's and June was a complete pansy. I found myself roling my eyes at "emotional" scenes, like when the two girls fell asleep for too long.
Another fault was the speed of the plot. It moved far too slowly, even to the point where I looked forward to finishing the chapter. By Chapter Two I was bored senseless and I had given up by Chapter Seven.
Although it was 100% free, I still felt robbed...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Bad. A lot of unrealised potential, 21 April 2015
Book Review: Planet Urth
by Jennifer & Christopher Martucci
Reviewed by J Bryden Lloyd

Writing Style – 3.0/5.0 (Okay)
Personally, I don’t think the First Person narrative really did this story any favours, but that aside, I felt the flow of the writing was a little erratic in the early part of the book.
It really did get to the point where I began to consider going no further, purely because the plot (although interesting) really wasn’t going anywhere.
The book does settle and improve, but in fairness I think there will be a good number of potential readers who may switch off rather than stick it out to the end.
As positives go, the action sequences are well drawn and bring a hint of genuine ability on the part of the author, but whether that is enough for you as a reader, is going to be greatly down to your own personal tastes.

Character Development – 3.5/5.0 (Good)
There is a real element of tedium in the restrictions on the characters. Avery is very good as a lead character and there is a nice balance of information from past and present which builds her into something with great potential but not enough strength to make her likeable.
I didn’t really connect properly with her, despite some hard work on the part of the author, and equally I didn’t find any traits of interest in the younger sister, who (despite the obviousness of their lives and situation) feels very two-dimensional against her older sibling and for vast sections of the book offers very little other than supporting dialogue and a worrisome distraction to Avery.
Admittedly, these are personal observations and I can’t really slam the author for his efforts in creating these two girls and building them into a pair of (eventually) very readable characters.
The later additional characters are introduced with a more passing flair, and this works well, bringing them into the story and building just enough to keep the read interesting and plot flowing.

Descriptive – 4.0/5.0 (Very Good)
In a work with few characters to anchor the storylines to, the descriptive very much becomes king.
There are flashes of excellence throughout this book, but occasionally these were offset by some almost forgettable dialogue. This became a frustration more than anything else, as I had so wanted the dialogue to support and embellish the descriptive and unfortunately, this did not happen often enough.
In contrast, the world-building and scene-craft was of a very high standard. It was easy to visualise the places and the actions, making the majority of the author’s efforts very enjoyable.

Language & Grammar – 3.5/5.0 (Good)
There were a variety of minor edits needed in most of the chapters. A lot of this was down to comma usage and the occasional repetition within conjoining sentences. Simple to correct but awkward on the reader.
Word selection was reasonable, but to be fair, given the plot scenarios and the lack of depth in the main characters, the author really did give himself a fair old mountain to climb at times.

Plot – 3.0/5.0 (Okay) – NO SPOILERS
This is a lengthy, heavy opening for what could have been a far more engaging read. As a series writer myself, I understand the need to introduce and set up your characters for the long-haul, but this was too much.
By the time things really did begin to move (although these are not plot-advancing elements of the story) I was mentally exhausted from a number of benign, empty scenes.
From there, I felt a number of plots were suddenly introduced together, and this made the whole book feel rushed and disorganised. But despite this, it finally felt like it was heading somewhere and like it or not, that was a huge positive.
As a reader I found myself asking where the author had been hiding all this much better stuff, as the plots began to build and finally drive the story.
Too little too late? Perhaps. But certainly a massive improvement on what came before.
General – 3.0/5.0 (Okay)
As an opening part, this does tick a lot of boxes. As a great, highly recommended read, unfortunately I don’t think it does.
Yes, there is some excellent descriptive. Yes, the action scenes are beautifully conceived and presented. Yes, there is a nice hook to the ending. And, yes, there is huge potential for where the story could go next.
On the other hand, there are a number of things that didn’t work for me personally…
This is not an excessively long book, and yet more than half of the work is ‘lost’ in needless, negative character building and uninteresting scenes which each provide the tiniest snippet of useful information or progress. The dialogue at times is a chore to read, and I found myself often resisting the temptation to flip a page or two just to escape it.
Along with this, there are several ‘leaps’ in reality that feel awkward. Although they add to the interest and pull of the story, most changes are put down to evolution, where perhaps mutation should be implied.
All in all, a difficult set of elements to judge, but even so, this is not an unreadable book. It is not easy to read and you have to go into it with that in mind, not expecting cover-to-cover action or large-scale tribal warfare. You won’t get that.
What you do get is very competent, with some very stylish descriptive, which serves as the launch vehicle for the following books. This may or may not be your cup of tea. Admittedly, I am undecided based on this single part, but I may be tempted to try out the next instalment to see where it goes.

3 Stars. Not bad but could have been much, much more.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing YA Fantasy, 1 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Planet Urth (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
In this dystopian saga a teenager girl and her young sister are alone and earth appears to have become a hostile and very different place. The earth as we know it is gone and the girls appear to be alone. They are living in the forest where they hide from the Urthmen, a mutant species that appears to have human like qualities, and a passion for killing humans. The girls weren't alive when it was any different when Urthmen didn't exict or when lurkers did not hunt them in packs at night. So at night they hide in a cave and by day they scrabble for what food they can get; rabbits, boarts and other known or mutant creatures.

While some of the creatures in this book were not described as soon as I would have liked, this was a story that was alive and vibrant. Written in first person it is, in a way, a coming of age story set in the crux of a fight for survival. Despite a little redundancy at the beginning and one too many sentences ending in an adverb, this was a story that could not be held down. It isn’t a book that you stop reading, walk away from and forget about the story. Only the lack of tighter editing kept me from giving it five stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas, bad detail, 29 April 2015
This review is from: Planet Urth (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Well, this is a survivor story. Trouble is, I don't believe these people would survive. Avery and June, maybe. But the folks she meets? They are supposed to have survived as a family unit yet they fail to follow basic survival rules. No keeping lookout or watching for trouble, no immediate reaction to warnings of attack, the way that distances became longer and shorter depending on what the authors want to do in the time. This is a good story line,the two girls characters were developed quite well, but the story falls over in its detail. And yes I would like to read more but I would not want to pay money until I know the authors have better critics reading the pre published books. And yes I would be willing to do this as I would like to see how the tale develops.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great page turner and pulse raiser, 25 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Planet Urth (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
I started this book two days ago and I was devastated when it was over. It finishes in a cliff-hanger and OF COURSE it makes you want to read more. It's not too long, so it can be read easily. Most of the book concerns survival and hunting, however there is a very small amount of romance towards the end which I presume will be followed up in the sequel, and there are a couple of gory scenes such as the murder of mutant monsters and pregnant women, but they're not that graphic. Overall, the concept, while a little too hunger games for my taste, is interesting and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to read a good young adult novel but doesn't have a lot of spare time on their hands.

1.0 out of 5 stars Simplistiic writing by an author who has tried to jump ..., 4 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Planet Urth (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Simplistiic writing by an author who has tried to jump on the back of thr fantasy genre!!! A huge mistake!! Don't buy this book because the phone book mis more entertaining!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A series of post apocalyptic books beginning where the world ..., 26 July 2014
Ursula Osborne "Ursula" (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Planet Urth (Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
A series of post apocalyptic books beginning where the world has changed; man no longer reigns supreme, but is hunted by mutated versions of humans, destroyed by virus and bacterial infection and by monstrous animals, rabbits have teeth and bite. The heroine battles through, initially believing that she and her sister are the only people left. Imagine her surprise when she meets new people. After a disaster they band together and look for a place of safety. The four books chart their journey and their adventures. The books are well written and enjoyable.

Planet Urth (Book 1)