5.0 out of 5 stars MMLP2 Review from long time Eminem Fan
Firstly, ignore the one star reviews; they're more than likely written by people who became Eminem 'fans' after hearing his 'Recovery'. I personally hated 'Recovery', what good is a recovery if he fumbles it? (Eminem's words, not mine!)Kids these days don't know what rap is. They think because they grew up listen to pop 'rap' that that's what it is. Eminem unfortunately...
Published 8 months ago by Mike

3.0 out of 5 stars The Marshall mathers LP 2!!
Awesome album really glad I have added it to the rest of my eminens albums, looking forward to his next album if there is one. :-)
Published 2 months ago by Roger Mckendry

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Worthy of the original? No. This one's better., 5 Nov 2013
I've listened through this album once only so I'll admit it's quite early to make a final judgement. But my first impression is that not only is this a hip hop masterpiece - musically, lyrically, conceptually - but it is the strongest contender, in my opinion, for Em's best album to date. So let's break it down a little.

For one, this is a love letter to fans of the original Marshall Mathers LP. The opener Bad Guy makes plenty of references to classic lines from the MMLP, the song "So Far" actually uses small samples from the songs "I'm Back" and "The Real Slim Shady" - to name but two - and the skit "Parking Lot" (one of only two skits on the entire album) is a fun sequel to the song "Criminal" on the original LP. So the name of the new album is not just some cheap marketing ploy; there's substance to it, not least in the sense that volume 2 reaches and even outdoes volume 1, which many regard as his best, most influential album.

Musically, the production here reaches heights never heard before be it in terms of the pop-savvy beats, the rock-fueled guitar and the dead-on piano riffs (capturing the best of the MMLP), not to mention the voice work. The album sounds expensive and is a cross between Em's early work and the underrated Encore and Relapse; Recovery sounds flat compared to what we have here but nothing Eminem has put out to date quite equals the production values on here. In addition, there is the right balance between loud tracks like Bezerk and softer tracks like Legacy - that helps give the album a harmonious feel.

Lyrically, Em is as over the top as ever and at the top of his game, breaking standards he himself has set for hip hop artists. I obviously didn't catch all the subtleties, self-references and jokes on my first listen through but it's clear that MMLP2 will repay multiple listens - plenty of stuff to dig into, if one isn't too distracted by the excellent musical production, that is. I'm also glad to note that Eminem hasn't given up on his skilled use of "accents" and nasal delivery, which makes this album closer in feel to Encore and Relapse than his last, Recovery, which for me is a good thing. However, as on Recovery, there are plenty of artists who sing the chorus on this album and Em continues his singing career which is now stronger than ever as shown, ironically, on a song called "Stronger than Before" where he sings more than he raps.

Highlights. So many to choose from. Because I'm a nerd I give stars to tracks I listen to on Media Player. No less than ten of the tracks got five stars from me and none less than four stars. I will no doubt upgrade some of my ratings in due course since I know from experience that Eminem's albums tend to be growers. The absolute highlights for me though are the awesome songs Rhyme or Reason and Legacy - the latter is a slow, soft, song which I personally think better than Stan and Rhyme or Reason needs to be listened to to be believed. There are of course the singles Bezerk, Rap God, Survival and Monster, which are excellent. Also noteworthy is that, to my knowledge, this is Em's first album to contain two songs, namely the excellent "Bad Guy" and the closer "Evil Twin", which break the seven minute barrier; and contrary to expectation they never let up.

So to round up Eminem is back for good this time and has done the best fan service possible by releasing what is arguably his best album to date and one of the best Hip Hop albums of all time, no less (and I say this owning a huge hip hop collection). This is a five star album which will have a long shelf life and confirm Eminem's superstar status. Well done Slim!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could this just be better than the first Marshall Mathers LP ?, 23 Dec 2013
Varian Beauregard (Le Jardin d'Angleterre) - See all my reviews
Yes personally, I would rather listen to this than to the old Marshall Mathers LP. Let me explain...

I've been an Eminem fan from about 6 months before he hit world fame with the "My Name Is.." single. (I.e. from the Slim Shady EP). At the time I thought that the Marshall Mathers LP was his best work to date with lots of absolute stand out gems that I hardly need to list. However, I also thought it was inconsistent and I tended to skip quite a few of the later tracks. I also thought that "The Eminem Show" was a better album.

Fast forward and we've had the enjoyable but lyrically weaker "Encore". The delightfully deranged but not quite return-to-form that was "Relapse", and the overly "pop" and unsatisfying "Recovery".

Now Eminem is truly back with an album that is consistently excellent. I have listened to this over and over and I still can't get enough. Lyrically this could just be his strongest work ever. Just listen to "Rap God". It still has some pop choruses but the rapping is more old school and yet modern at the same time. The returning motifs from the first MMLP are fun to spot. This has an added maturity and the song "Headlights" gives me shivers every time I hear it. It is amazing!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Marshall Mathers LP 2, 23 July 2014
This is Eminem's most complete album since The Eminem Show newer fans who haven't heard the original may not understand this album fully as he revists a lot of the topics from the orignal MMLP in more grown up and matured way Eminem did not set out for this to be a sequel but a revisit to the first MMLP and he did it superbly this one of Em's best albums and a must for all fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 July 2014
loved this cd thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
Great buy

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Marshall Mathers LP 2 (Audio CD)
Its Eminem you either love him or not and I think he good

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 July 2014
Great cd

5.0 out of 5 stars Eminem!!! Still tearing the world a new a**hole., 13 July 2014
This review is from: The Marshall Mathers LP 2 (Audio CD)
Awesome album and even better with the bonus disc to enjoy more from the talented MC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jun 2014
Great album

5.0 out of 5 stars just buy it !!, 29 Jun 2014
very very good album, one of his best ! get it now, you won't be sorry ,, nuff said, I thnk ....

‹ Previous | 1 2 321 | Next ›

The Marshall Mathers LP 2
The Marshall Mathers LP 2 by Eminem (Audio CD - 2013)