4.0 out of 5 stars Philips Sonicare Pink Power Up Rechargeable Toothbrush
Published 4 months ago by S Riaz

What’s in the box: one electric toothbrush, one small head and one charger that plugs into a shaving socket.

First impressions on opening box: too much pointless packaging. Brush feels very heavy. Head is very small.

Published 3 months ago by Victor

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips Sonicare Pink Power Up Rechargeable Toothbrush, 21 July 2014
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Philips Sonicare HX3130/02 Pink Power Up Rechargeable Toothbrush (Personal Care)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a limited edition pink electric toothbrush. The brush head is in the familiar shape of a manual toothbrush, but with an angled brush head for better reach and 15,000 strokes a minute. The brush is soft and safe to use with braces or on dental restorations, such as crowns or veneers. Much is made of the similarity to a manual toothbrush and it has a slim handle (for an electric toothbrush), is comfortable to use and has a two minute timer to encourage users to brush for the recommended time. Although this does have pink on the handle, the overall design is pretty plain. It would have also been nice if the pack included a spare head for the toothbrush. However, overall, this is a good product, which leaves your mouth feeling nice and fresh.

3.0 out of 5 stars Philips Sonicare HX3130/02 Pink Power Up Rechargeable Toothbrush – Cleans teeth OK, more thought required in general design, 4 Aug 2014
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

Using the brush 1 – Charging: First off, this requires a shaver socket, or the additional expense of an adaptor. When the whole lot is plugged in there is no LED on the brush or charger to show that there is power going to the brush. So I was uncertain if it was charging or not. I gave it 3 hours charging, and after 15 or so minutes run time it still seems to be charged up.

Using the brush 2 – Cleaning teeth: The brush is quite heavy at the motor end, and awkwardly balanced making it a little difficult to manoeuvre around. The head is very small and you need to move it around a lot to cover one tooth. The vibration (15 K a minute claimed by the manufacturer) feels odd on the rest of the mouth. It cleans teeth OK, but they don’t feel any different to after a good manual brushing. The rest of my mouth, where it had contacted the back of the vibrating head, felt unpleasantly numbed. I wonder what the chances of getting vibrational white finger (or in my case white tongue and lip) are?

Pros: Cleans teeth OK. Holds charge well.

Cons: Could do with a standard plug for more general use. Really needs a charging LED. Heads wear out quickly and are expensive to replace.

Overall 3 stars. I am not so enamoured of it that I will throw away the manual brush just yet.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buzzzzzz!, 2 Aug 2014
Tim (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used Braun Oral-B electric brushes for many years, I was intrigued to see how this Philips toothbrush would compare.

The physical size and weight of the brush handles is pretty similar. However the Philips brushing action is completely different. The round head of my current Oral-B brush both vibrates and oscillates. You can hold it still in your mouth and feel it scrubbing away at the plaque. By contrast this Philips brush head just vibrates, and powerfully. It sort of tickles and irritates at the same time. If the back of the brush head touches against the teeth opposite, it quite be quite painful, and sets up a loud resonant buzz throughout my entire skull.

Perhaps it does clean teeth effectively, I don't know [1], but it didn't inspire much confidence and I found myself still scrubbing back and forth, as with a manual toothbrush, in order to be sure I was achieving anything. Perhaps, if I tried, I would eventually get used to the Philips brushing action, but I found the buzzing, tingling action distinctly annoying, and will stick with Oral-B in future.

A further annoyance comes from the fact that there is no LED to indicate when the battery is running low, or to indicate once charging is finished. This may not bother you if you plan on leaving the brush on the charger stand all the time, but if, like me, you don't have a spare shaver socket and so only want to put it on the charger when necessary this is a significant shortcoming.

On the plus side, it's quieter than the Oral-B, and my daughters like the pink handle!

[1] UPDATE: out of curiosity, I found an academic paper (a Cochrane review) from 2011 that concluded that rotary oscillating brushes, like the Oral-B range, "reduce plaque and gingivitis more than side to side brushes [like this Philips one] in the short term". However this difference is "small and it's clinical importance is unclear". Make of that what you will.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does its job., 31 Aug 2014
Z. Herbert "solaan" (Bedfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although the toothbrush is quite heavy, its action on the teeth feels lighter than electric toothbrushes I have used before. It needed to be charged before use, of course, and I used a shaver point close to where it stands. The charger plug will only work with a shaver point, there is not an adaptor supplied and there is not a light to say when charging is complete or when the charge is running low.

The brush head is small and fits easily into my mouth; the cleansing action is quite gentle and the bristles are softer than I am used to. The brushing time is two minutes, which is adequate for me. You can always have a second go if you like a longer brush-time. There is not a replacement head included in the pack, so you will need to buy new heads regularly. These are expensive.

The pink gripper area on the handle has a slightly quilted surface which stops any slippage in the hand if you are as vigorous as I am. I have not used an electric toothbrush for some time and find this one is OK although I find I do really prefer a manual use toothbrush.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brush Believer, 19 Sep 2014
P. G. Strachan (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I come at this as no particular fan of the electric toothbrush in general. Being a bloke I kind of prefer the old school physicality of the old school brush...the bigger and tougher the better. Frankly if I could get away with it I'd probably use an ajax panshiner on the incisors just so I'd ve left with that feeling I'd brushed my teeth to oblivion and beyond. In short I like to feel the job is done.
So preening away with one of these tiny heads whirling in my mouth has always felt like I'm not truly doing the job.
Anyway I've been giving this one a go and doing a bit of a compare and contrast with the Oral-B Pro 600 CrossAction Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush to see which I'd prefer. Clearly I'm not a dentist (no really I hear you say) but after giving this one a bit of a run out I'm somewhat converted to the cause and even getting use to the idea that the purpose of brushing may not be to entirely immolate your molars. It's reasonably comfortable to hold and once I got used to it I was a bit more relaxed about the idea that I don't have to exert furious pressure on my fangs to deliver the desired result. Plus it also appears to have helped on the bleeding gums front which is something of a bonus.
In the end, my personal preference would be for the Sonicare just because of the more conventionally shaped head. Which is more effective at plaque removal is a question I can't answer but both feel as though they're doing a solid job and getting in amongst the molars. Feature-wise the two minute timer is a pretty handy thing because I tend to switch off when I'm brushing (and wake up five hours later with a mouthful of foam wondering where the day has gone). Likewise the reminder bristles are pretty useful as I do tend to use my brushes till they fall apart in my hand. The battery life appears pretty solid and but for the pink trim which threatens my sexuality I'm pretty pleased with the Sonicare.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good entry level brush, 21 Aug 2014
Mr. Philip Harkins "If in doubt, Smile! :-)" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I switched to sonic some years ago and get on very well with them. This is an entry level but very good value. If it's your first the. Be prepared to change how you brush your teeth! No scrubbing etc just move along the teeth outside, then inside the. The biting surface. Personally I also prefer a good toothpaste such as oral B pro expert. This along wih sonic really does leave your teeth feeling like you just left the dentist!
The colour of this is obviously aimed at the younger and probably female end of the market. I mainly use Philips Sonicare HX9172/10 FlexCare Platinum Rechargeable Toothbrush with UV Sanitizer which has a bit more beef about it and comes with the sanitising unit. That of course is a lot more expensive but has been worth the money.

Most electric toothbrushes ( and this is no exception) come with a shaver style plug so they can be plugged in the bathroom (three pin mains sockets are not permitted in bathroom under regulations) and if you want to keep in in your bedroom or if you have no shaver socket the you will need an adapter such as Shaving Adaptor/PLug UK Standard and there are many choices around

In the box you will find the brush, a charger and one brush head, look out for subscribe and save for the replacement brushes, these can be expensive and I find don't need replacing quite as often as they say but I trust how it feels and change mine when the bristle start feeling soft or the clean not so good which is about every couple of months.

This lasted the whole week of testing on one overnight charge so battery does seem to last and not compromised by the cheap price.

Good value

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommend for shape of brush head., 23 July 2014
Mondoro (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
At the suggestion of my Dentist , who told me I was damaging my teeth by brushing them too hard, I switched to an electric toothbrush [not a Philips] some years ago. Since then I have had a completely clean bill of dental health so have become a fan of electric toothbrushes. The Philips brand is new to me and I am impressed by the shape of the brush which is very like the traditional 'old fashioned' hand held brush. To begin with I was a bit disconcerted by the fact that this brush automatically switches itself off after two minutes [my other brush simply signals by a change in tone]. As I usually want to brush for more than two minutes I am not particularly impressed by this feature but no doubt will get used to it. Probably very childish of me [I am an OAP!] I like the fact that the handle of the brush is pink as it means that I am in no danger of confusing it with other toothbrush users in the house! Incidentally I have checked out the cost of replacement heads and these do seem expensive in comparison to the cost of the complete brush. However this is not unique to Philips as it is something they share with brushes from other manufacturers. [Thanks to amazon reviewers I am not tempted to try the non Philips clones which are readily available but have not been highly rated!] To anyone contemplating buying an electric brush for the first time I would recommend this brush as the head is so like a conventional toothbrush it will make the transition easier. fjs.

3.0 out of 5 stars May or may not work for you, 7 Sep 2014
Steve Benner "Stonegnome" (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As electric toothbrushes go, the Philips "Sonicare HX3130/02" is a good although possibly not great example. It is available with two different head sizes although, sadly, only one is supplied with the toothbrush when you but it, so you can't try both out for comfort and effectiveness. It also means that there are no spare brushes with your initial purchase> New heads are quite pricey too. Another downside is that the charger/cradle comes only with a shaver-type plug, so that you'll need to buy an additional adapter if you don't have a socket in your bathroom and need to charge the brush up elsewhere.

Whether or not the action of the brush works for you (or can even be tolerated -- some people hate the sensation that it produces in the head!) is, I am afraid, something that you will only be able to judge for yourself. This is such a personal and subjective issue that I don't think there is much point in describing my own experiences with this one. The two-minute timer seems something of an arbitrary feature to me. It may be great for warning people that they've skimped on the job but having it suddenly stop in use if you take a bit longer than usual about the task I find very irritating.

If you want the brush with a pretty pink patch, you'll need to act relatively quickly as supposedly it is a limited edition release. I call it a gimmick but, hey, I wouldn't get a job in marketing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended and thumbs up from our dentist, 18 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very pleased with this toothbrush, my 12 year old daughter has been using this for a month now and the results have been fantastic. Previously was using a colgate manual toothbrush. At our last dentist appointment in February she hadn't been getting the plaque on lower front two teeth, especially behind them. Today we've been for our regular 6 month check up and the dentist was amazed by the improvements, no plaque build up at all and very pleased with the overall condition of the teeth and praised her for cleaning her teeth so well.

In addition to the excellent results, I particularly like the timer, essential with children and adults as its so easy to miss the 2 minutes brushing otherwise. Comes with the standard brush head with no spare, would have liked the smaller brush head included that is advertised in the product description or a least a spare brush head. Liked the pink, great for girls. Easy to use and hold. Keeps its charge well 7-10 days if brushing 2 mins twice a day. Also very quiet when in use. Nice to see the clear plastic cap to protect the head when not in use keeping everything nice and clean.

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips Sonicare Power Up Rechargeable Toothbrush, 13 Aug 2014
Mark H (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Very impressed by how well it cleaned. Performed a lot better than normal electric toothbrushes I've had, which may be something to do with the plaque removal functionality or maybe that my last one is now a bit old and things have moved on... After using it my teeth felt like they do after a trip to the dentist and a bit of a clean up, so that is not something I've had before and was a very welcome discovery. The timer is a nice additional feature as it does mean you can ensure a standard amount of time spent brushing.

Some minor points that may put some people off though. It only works off a shaver power point so if you haven't got one you will need to pick up a power adaptor that plugs into a normal 3 pin and converts it. The features I mentioned above are pretty much it as well. So no indicator to indicate a full charge, and nothing to allow different modes of cleaning. However at this price point I think those sorts of features would be expecting a bit much.

For the price this is at I think it represents excellent value, really have nothing bad to say about it and can only recommend.