5.0 out of 5 stars Never stop, 28 Nov 2013
simon211175 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Lady of Resources: A steampunk adventure novel (Magnificent Devices Book 5) (Kindle Edition)
I'm not sure if I'm meant to like these books, as a 38 year old man - but I do and that's that.

I knew this one was coming but didn't know when, so when I spotted it on sale there was never any doubt that it'd be next on my reading list. Having finished it now, I can say it's a perfect addition to the series.

Although I have enjoyed all the books so far, I have been disappointed to see less and less of The Lady of Devices in them. That said, this one as all that came before it, is full of adventure and inventions to keep us entertained.

The story here, centres around the Mopsies - now in their teens and doing well for themselves at school. The story flows well, and we see their back story come to life with some major consequences.

I really enjoyed this, and would recommend everyone reads this if you've read the rest of the books (which I'm sure you have). Now I just have to wait (again) for the next one...

4.0 out of 5 stars Where did the old Lizzie go!, 26 Dec 2013
Annie W "bookworm" (Aberdeenshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Where has the Lizzie of all the previous books gone? Suddenly she's become a young woman of almost 16, whose sole desire in life is to go to finishing school! Even before her full background and family come to light, she shows herself to have become a little too snobbish, and all too ready to forget about the 'family' created by circumstances. At one point she says "She and Maggie had not survived the streets of Whitechapel by blinding themselves to facts" - you'd never guess that now! Maybe her changed attitude can be put down to teenage hormones needing time to sort themselves out.

The book starts as well as all the others in the series, gets a little bogged down in the middle (possibly because of Lizzie's sudden devotion to convention), but returns to extremely satisfying form, and is positively electrifying by the end. Lizzie, too, suddenly seems to regain her senses, and become the very satisfactory character she was before education and convention got in her way. I also have a feeling that she may have set her eyes on a possible future husband, but future books will no doubt tell us.

So, despite my initial concerns for Lizzie, I was extremely happy to find this book matched the same high standards as the others, and am really looking forward to the next one, which I hope will be about Maggie, who certainly deserves a bit of attention. By the way, what happened to Rosie, or do we have to accept that time has caught up with that wonderful feathered phenomenon - even so, she must have had chicks!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great steampunk character, 24 Feb 2014
The author has created a really engaging character (a strong young woman) in a very imaginative Victorian type environment with lots of steampunk gadgets built nicely into the plot. Full marks for creativity here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this, 19 Feb 2014
Great story good characters kept me in the story so didn't want to put it down. Really one to read

4.0 out of 5 stars Boisterous fun!, 14 Dec 2013
I remember really enjoying The Mopsies in the previous books of the series, so when I heard that A Lady of Resources was out I grabbed it pretty fast. And it was fun to read. Boisterous, action-driven and light fun.

Claire was still mentioned here, but the limelight was on Lizzie - one of the orphaned twins Lady Trevelyan adopted. Lizzie was all of sixteen, practically a grown girl, ready for her coming out and choosing her own path different from Claire's passions of a scientist and an inventor.

I could understand Lizzie and her desire to belong, but at the same time, after the grand adventures she lived through, her dreams of going to a finishing school in Switzerland and finding a husband were...well, trivial. Maggie and Claire certainly seemed to think so too.

It was hard to read about this growing divide between them, but have no fear, my dear reader! The splendid villain whom Lizzie accidentally uncovers and whose evil plot endangers the whole Britain will put that girl on the right track and reunite her with her family. Fancy that.

A nice read, great for younger teens who loved Untimed by Andy Gavin and Etiquette & Espionage by Gail Carriger.

4.0 out of 5 stars and will there be more???!!!, 21 Oct 2014
Not quite up to the previous books but then it must be difficult finding a story for the characters as they grow up. Still it was a good read and I am looking forward to the next one ..... I hope there will be a next one!!! Wasn't so much of the steampunk background to this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Sep 2014
Mr. D. L. Welbourne "dwelbs" (GLOUCESTER U.K.) - See all my reviews
steam punk is here to stay...yay

5.0 out of 5 stars Read the series, 30 Oct 2013
I really enjoyed these books. Read through the whole series and wanted more. Lots of fun Didn't know this writer but will be looking out for her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Chic Lit, 1 Jun 2014
L. Stribling "Wise man" (Hertford) - See all my reviews
A wonderful evocation of Victorian manners and endeavour. Steampunk as Victorian futurism before the Great War trashed life. A time when Britannia ruled the world and the world was better off for it.