on 23 June 2014
Yes, these scales look beautiful and sleek. Yes they weigh accurately. And, yes, they do give you a bare minute to add perhaps 7 or 8 different ingredients to your recipe. Despite their great accuracy a gram of yeast might not be enough to reset the clock, so you will be timed out! (And if you turn your back maybe to look for some forgotten item for a minute you will be timed out!) You could call it fun of course, a kind of game to see if you are fast enough! And then if you are timed out you just start again at zero for each ingredient. BUT the BIG PROBLEM is this. When you try to re-zero the mystery message pops up 'OUT2'. You try again and there it is again - 'OUT2'. And again and again and again. Now this is past fun! You simply cannot now weigh any new ingredients. You have to start guessing the weights! You are perpetually stymied by 'OUT2'.

NEW IMPORTANT INFORMATION (16th August): OUT2 is not in the operating manual. I contacted Smart Weigh I have been told OUT2 is actually OUTZ and means the scales need re-calibration which can only be done by them. They even sent me replacement scales. They were exactly the same! I then conducted this experiment.

I had been using the scales in bread making putting the bread pan directly on the scales (as I have been doing for years with all my scales). I wondered whether the metal of the pan could have had something to do with the problem. I tried with a plastic bowl and there was no OUT2 message. The scales were fine with plastic! Same when I repeated with the first scales. They were ok with plastic! I went back to the bread pan and it was OUT2 again. I tried with a stainless steel sauce pan. OUT2 again! An iron pan. OUT2! A Le Creuset casserole pan. OUT2! However a Circulon non-stick pan though metal was surprisingly ok.

The conclusion of my experiment: These scales cannot cope with most forms of metal. If OUT2 means recalibration is required it is very strange that this is only the case with metal bowls. I hope some readers will try the same experiment and it would be great to know the result. Surely some people use stainless steel mixing bowls on the scales. Are these ok? I have passed all this to Smart Weigh and they said they were very interested. I am hoping they will conduct similar experiments and if these confirm my findings that they will make the necessary adjustments to their scales. They would then possibly be worth 5 stars - though only if they gave the cook at least 2 minutes before timing out! (They tell me they may well change the time-out period as they have had so many unhappy about this feature.)
55 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
When I opended the box these scales came in I was immediately impressed by the build quality. Although quite compact, they feel solidly built and they also look good, with a neat, simple design which is easy to wipe clean.

I like the way the controls are on a little ledge set below the scale surface. This means that you won't accidentally touch them with a food container or plate which you put on the surface of the scales. As I quite often use these scales for weighing parcels this is particularly useful to me. My previous scales only weighed up to 2kg and I was pleased that these weigh up to 5kg (11 lbs) which makes them particularly useful for weighing parcels to be posted.

The tare weight feature allows you to put an empty container on the scales then reset the scales to zero before you put the items to be weighed in it. You can also use this to add ingredients to the scales one by one, resetting the scales to zero after each ingredient. There is a separate button for units making it easy to switch between metric and imperial systems which is very useful if you use older recipe books which refer to pounds and ounces.

I checked the scales by weighing a variety of items such as bags of flour and smaller packets of food items and they were very accurate all the time.

I am altogether very pleased with these scales and would recommend them to others, particularly in view of their very competitive price.
11 comment|80 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 April 2014
Great looking product, started out well, until the automatic power off kicked in, then anything we'd weighed in the interim was lost. If you're going to have an automatic power off you need a memory function.
33 comments|39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 August 2015
These scales were bought for me as a gift, bought due to the good reviews and every time I use them I get more and more frustrated for 2 reasons:
1. they switch off after a few seconds, and with no memory, you have to guess how much was in the bowl, or pour it out and start again - and hope you hadn't already mixed some of the ingredients.
2. you turn on the scales with your mixing bowl already in place and it displays an error, until you remove the bowl and press reset. Not a life changing issue but still frustrating...
Hats off to Amazon, I ordered these scales at midday on Saturday, and Sunday morning here I am writing a review about them. Incredible service.

Glad to say the scales themselves are also excellent. Sitting at just half an inch tall, it has a 6x7 inch grey glass flat weighing plate, that appears to be remarkably accurate (I started by weighing a sweet which came in at 7g in weight).

My original weighing scales (physical rather than digital) had a moving indicator around a horizontal axis which could only be seen if you bend down. This scale however has a 1x1.5 inch liquid crystal display which can be seen from above, and clearly displays the weight digitally.

Press the “unit” button, and you can change the unit of measure to grammes, pounds and ounces, fluid ounces and millilitres.

Press the on-off zero button, and after a two second delay it’s ready to go. In addition to basic weighing it also supports “Tare” weighing, whereby you can (for example) weigh a bowl, reset the counter to zero, and add the contents to display the net weight (ie. subtracting the weight of the bowl).

It also supports “add and weigh” where you place a bowl down, and (for example) add ingredients until you’ve reached your desired weight.

The scales themselves came very well packaged in a sturdy protective cardboard box, and they are quite chunky themselves, weighting in at 60g which is reassuringly sturdy.

Finally they’ll take up to 5Kg which is good to know.

All in all, really pleased with these. Very sensitive and accurate (digital readout) from a large (6x7”) flat wipe clean glass plate.

Works for me.
on 4 October 2015
At this moment - 9 months after purchase - extremely disappointed as the scale has stopped responding to the on/off button. Sometimes removing and replacing the battery can result in a reawakening, but basically useless. Now need to figure out whether the slogan "guaranteed to be extremely durable and long lasting" means anything to anybody.
Now need to add that Amazon has refunded the full amount immediately - so 5 stars for service - but still not convinced that this product is a durable as kitchen scales should be.
on 4 June 2015
Don't buy for brewing coffee. The automatics switch off time is very short, so if you want to brew coffee over it, it will switch off mid-brew.

This can be solved by tapping the scale with a finger, but it's still pretty annoying and not ideal.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 December 2013
Smart Weigh's makes a number of different kinds of scales for what seems like every conceivable purpose from food scales, to bathroom scales, to jewelry scales to packaging scales.

"PL 11B" is a general, packaging scale. It's can weigh item(s), packages or boxes up to 11 lbs.

The only real difference between the models within these categories has to do with design, because the accuracy of the scale itself is remarkable.

PL 11B measures 7" x 7" with the metal scale top measuring at 7" x 6." And, is powered by a lithium (wristwatch-style) battery.

Like all of the Smart Weigh scales, this one also features a "Tare" function. The Tare function deducts the weight of the packaging leaving you with the net weight of the item.

***
As you can see in the video, if you're sending out packages as gifts for this holiday season or mailing out packages as part of an eBay exchange, having a scale like this can literally save you from standing in that long line at the post office. You can determine the weight and go to the online post office site and get the postage price.

Additionally, I really like the bright LED display and the two-bar button control.

Simple and Elegant.
on 10 September 2015
I was really pleased with these scales.
I bought in January but now they have stopped working. I've changed the battery and it comes up with random weights with nothing on the weighing platform.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 February 2014
A very practical and surprisingly attractive looking scales. By comparing the same weights on other scales this Smart Weigh is accurate enough for any domestic use, it will weigh a one gram item. Simple to operate (though any practical scales should be after all) and keep clean.

Cooking folk will like the adding weight function: weigh some flour; press zero and the display goes back to zero; add sugar and the combined weight is displayed; press zero again and add another ingredient; the weight of the three items is displayed.

The only slight flaw with this unit is the cut-off time: sixty seconds. This was a problem with the Duronic KS865 scales (identical to this Smart Weigh product and actually cheaper on Amazon) and I think the makers should modify the design to stay on if something is on the scales or make the cut-off time longer, say, two minutes.

I liked the design of these scales and I think this will be a strong selling point.