5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Return, 28 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Year of the Jubilee (Kindle Edition)
The second book I have read of the authors now, the same diary style and as such I think goes into more personal details than you would in a similar book in the more ordinary style of book. Once again we follow the author through a year, this one being the jubilee year and as the author says is an emotional year. Not just across the country but in her own life. Not just negative but positive as well as the funny things that happen in the year of a family. Once again well written and fills you with emotion, a sign of a good book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Family Year, 8 April 2014
This review is from: The Year of the Jubilee (Kindle Edition)
So well written and informative - kept me hooked always wanted to know what the next day held..

Cared about this family & their life over the year.

Loved the book and would recommend it to family and friends

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly recommended. Laughed and cried from start to finish., 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Year of the Jubilee (Kindle Edition)
I read this one before the prequel “The Binary Year” and was so impressed I immediately bought the earlier book to fill in the gaps. It is written in quite an individualistic style reminiscent of Adrian Mole but female and all-grown up. Anna beautifully captures the plight of this middle aged woman as she struggles to come to terms with all the changes in her life. In fact, it’s so well captured I wondered often whether it was more autobiographical than fictional.

As a man, there were many new and curious insights to be had, some that perhaps I shouldn’t have been privy too about women, haha. This book had me laughing from start to finish and, given the propensity for a book about the main characters heavy realisations about her own life, that was incredibly impressive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good!, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Year of the Jubilee (Kindle Edition)
Written in a kind of diary entry style, this book is about a year in the life of Anna M. Maslin. As she gives you a very detailed account of her life and her daily experiences you find yourself befriending the author without realizing; by the end I felt like I knew her personally! I love the fact that she adds in real moments of history that were really happening around the time that she posted her entries. As I used to live in the UK I can really `feel' this book and a lot of memories come back. I found myself reminiscing to events that were happening when I was there not that long ago, but feels like a long time. I have to note that there is a very human feel towards this book which anyone can relate to, and is very funny in places. A really great read, and an insight into the life of a woman in her 50's living in Britain. I'm more than confident that you will enjoy this book. *****

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Year of the Jubilee (Kindle Edition)
The Year of the Jubilee is easily one of the most unique books that I have came across from months of searching. I quickly found myself hooked into the book, and though it is quite long (another bonus for me), I managed to finish it in only a few sessions. I like this book because the author doesn't seem to be afraid to leave anything out, I feel that I experienced the good and also the bad exactly as the author intended it to be expressed due to to rich, well-refined writing style that has the apparent skill comparable to even some of the most seasoned writers out there.

Overall, the book is a great experience and complimented by very admirable and eloquent writing. I will be recommending this to a few friends of mine very soon and most likely be giving it a reread in the future

5.0 out of 5 stars A can't put it down type of book, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Year of the Jubilee (Kindle Edition)
The second part of this series and every bit as good as the first. Following the ups and downs of her own and bonus family this book will have you hooked from the start.

5.0 out of 5 stars The year of the jubilee, 18 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Year of the Jubilee (Kindle Edition)
When i knew a sequel was coming out from The Binary Year i couldn't wait to read it. And i wasn't disappointed. The day to day diary with the highs and lows were gripping, there was heart ache, joys & laughter but it also portrayed the real world of day to day living, and also the little Antidotes from around the world were amazing.It gave an insight of little windows of other countries, so i can thoroughly recommend "The Year of the Jubilee" . it is well worth reading. Olive Howard

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Read!, 16 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Year of the Jubilee (Kindle Edition)
I had just started another book by my favourite author when I downloaded this one! I couldn't resist the temptation to read the first few pages and have been glued to it ever since! It is like jumping inside someone else's life and experiencing all their highs and lows with them all the way through to a tense and emotional ending sequence where life and death are in the balance. Thanks Anna - keep on writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Salt ..... the substance you put on your chips, 12 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Year of the Jubilee (Kindle Edition)
I am a huge fan of The Binary Year - so much so that I have read it 3 times and I recommend it continuously on Twitter and Facebook. So, you can imagine how happy I was to find out there was going to be a sequel.

The book follows straight on from The Binary Year, and is also written in a diary format which I really liked. We are given an insight into the lives of Anna and her family - including her bonus children. The wonderful Lily provides a lot of the humour (it is so hard to believe she is only 10 years old).

It isn't all humorous though - there were many challenges thrown at the family by the bonus children which showed Anna's emotions, but without being 'woe is me'. Once again, I enjoyed getting to know the characters in the book and found I could relate to quite a lot - both as a parent of 2 girls and also as I was when I was a teenager.

I'm not great at writing reviews - but I felt I had to write one for this book in the hope that it will encourage others to read it. Once again, I will continue to recommend at any given opportunity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious and brilliantly funny in equal measure. Truly delightful., 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Year of the Jubilee (Kindle Edition)
This book series was recommended by a friend and really caught me off guard. I very rarely read fiction but the humanity captured within these pages blew me away. The author has a truly remarkable insight into the mind of her (imaginary) main character that she becomes completely believable from the moment you meet her. As the blurb suggests the book is indeed pretty hilariously chaotic, which is exactly what you’d expect from Anna (the main character, not the author, although that said is this book actually about her?).

Serious and brilliantly funny in equal measure. I hope that Ms Maslin is provided with enough incentive to keep writing as I personally can’t wait for more instalments in this series.

The Year of the Jubilee