5.0 out of 5 stars A best buy NAS
This is an upgrade for me from a Zyxel nsa 310. Myneed is to be able to back up 3 laptops and stream music files using Logitech Media Streamer (LMS) to my Squeezebox Touch and Squezebox radio. I migtrated the 2 Tb Red WD Hard Drive from the 310 to the 325 an added a new 2TB Toshiba Sata 6g Hard Drive for a basic Raid set up.

Bad Points - No manual - need to...
Published 13 months ago by Doversoul

Published 15 months ago by Peter

5.0 out of 5 stars A best buy NAS, 20 April 2014
This review is from: ZyXEL NSA325 v2 2 Bay Desktop Network Storage Power Plus NAS Enclosure,1.6GHz CPU (Accessory)

Bad Points - No manual - need to run Quick set up from provided DVD, and print off the manual sections you might need.
Plastic Front Panel - careful sliding off the front - not designed for regular removal. If you have a need to regularly change drives leave the panel off.
Metal case - flimsy, will easily mark, but functional.
Drive Caddies are Plastic - drives have to be fixed with screws, but solid design.
Drives cannot be quickly changed.
Only 1 usb3 port, and no Esata port
Very poor printer support
Power supply rather large

Good Points

Very fast write and read times. Excellent performance for the money
Lots of support - Squeezebox, Twonky server, ITunes , Drop box and loads more.
Much improved front end - very similar to that common to more expensive alternatives.
Wake on Lan

This is an excellent NAS - I cannot explain it's functionality sufficiently. I brought a Netgear 102 - 2 Bay NAS before the 325. Netgear build quality was in parts superior but the NSA problematic to set up. Not so the Zyxel - it meets all my needs and is a very quick NSA, and I think that it actually has improved the sound of my music streams.

A bargain - don't hesitate to buy, but if you need to constantly change hard drives probably not the NSA for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars NSA310S 1-bay review on a mac using time machine, 6 Oct. 2014
Thought I'd write a review since most others cover the more expensive 2-bay enclosure with the faster processor. There also aren't many that mention using it on a mac, which is important since macs don't like making an effort with non-apple products. These are just my initial impressions as I've only just got it so will cover most things except reliability.

Firstly, check out the zyxel website below. There's a comprehensive manual and loads of other info worth looking at...

in the box:
- the enclosure (obviously)
- power adapter (approx 2m cable - fairly compact plug and no in-line brick)
- ethernet cable (approx 2m)
- basic quick start guide (just shows how to install hard drive in enclosure)
- warranty
- support CD (win only)

Initial impressions

Straight out the box it had a nice weight and feel to it, always a good sign. Other than the front cover, which is plastic (but not cheap looking), the whole enclosure is a very solid metal construction. This not only makes it a sturdy little unit but helps keep it cool and is one thing that I always try to look for in an external enclosure of any kind; those plastic ones just love to keep the heat in.

set up

Physically installing the drive couldn't have been much easier, there's no caddy so it just pushes in to place with a slight click. There's a springy metal 'thing' on the front cover that slides over the front of the drive to keep it firmly in place. I'm using a 2TB WD red for those who want to know.

It showed up immediately on the network but for first use you need to either run the enclosed disc (windows only) or access the nas through a browser. This is the bit where non-techy's using macs might get a bit lost as there aren't any instructions for mac. It really isn't that difficult though, the hardest part is finding the IP for the nas.

Here's the basic steps to follow for mac setup:

1. find the nas drives IP address. I logged in to my router and found it listed in active devices under the name 'nsa310s'. If you're not sure how to do that the easiest thing to do is install the free version of 'ip scanner' from the app store.

2. type the IP in to a web browser address bar and hit enter

3. you should now see the web interface for the nas. The default admin username is admin and the password 1234 (something I found no reference to in the box!).

4. go to volume under the storage category on the left menu

5. create an internal volume, this will set up the drive for use

6. once it's finished you should see any public folders in finder. If not or for accessing specific user folders you'll need to click the 'connect to' button and log in

transfer speeds

writing to nas drive from mac:

using a single 1.8gb movie file
wifi - 3mins - approx 10mb/s
ethernet adapter - 46s - approx 40mb/s

1.63gb of mixed files (about 14.5k of files and folders)
ethernet - 4min 25s - approx 6mb/s
wifi - didn't bother and would expect it to be fairly similar

I tested writing the movie file from the nas to the mac as well and it took roughly twice as long so I'd expect similar compared to the other tests. Those speeds aren't too bad considering the cost of the drive, the single file transfer to the nas is especially good since a lot of traffic will be going that way. Some people might obsess over transfer speeds and dismiss this enclosure but you'll have to spend a lot more to get significantly better speeds. And a little extra time isn't much of a hardship. Just remember your network equipment and computer effect the speed and wifi will be slower, none of which is the drives fault.

Streaming
no problem here, showed up on my ps3 and smart tv no problem. Played a high quality full HD video without breaking a sweat. Since the transfer test showed around 20mb/s reading from the drive I should expect it can easily handle multiple streams and the highest quality movie files.

time machine
works a charm so far, not much more to say really. Connects and backs up. You do need to enable time machine on a specific folder though. You'll see it in the web interface along the left menu.

summary
seems like a great little enclosure for the money; solid, well built and feature rich. Haven't found any issues other than no instructions for mac users. It's worth checking out the web link mentioned above as it does a much better job at detailing all the features than on amazon. I like the fact I can plug in a usb drive in the front and have it sync with a folder or backup the drive to the nas.

pros
- strong metal enclosure
- good build quality
- immediately visible on network
- great features for the price
- straight forward web UI

cons
- no setup utility or instructions for mac users in the box (there is an online manual though)
- fan audible even when not in use (not loud though, any other background noise will drown it out)
- access to hard drive isn't quick as you need to remove a screw, which I'm guessing means no hot swapping either. (not a big deal)

4.0 out of 5 stars An affordable good two-disk NAS, 23 Feb. 2014
Susman "Sussman" (London Mills IL) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Zyxel NSA325 V2 has space for two 2.5-inch or two 3.5-inch disks. The benefit of having a NAS with two disks is safety. You can arrange it in RAID 1, so that when one disk fails, you don't lose any data. For back-ups it's a nice fail-safe feature to have. This NAS box is compact and has a practical design, with one USB 3.0 port in front and trays for the hard disks. On the back there are two USB 2.0 ports (it would have been nice to have more USB 3.0 as you have with Synology products) and there is a gigabit network port for relatively fast file transfer (you'll need a gigabit network and cables) . You get a network cable in the box. It runs on a 1.6 GHz Marvell processor and 512 MB of RAM; quite a bit more power than in the Zyxel NSA310S its entry level partner. You will find low power consumption with the ‘Wake-on-LAN’ power scheduling. It was relatively easy to set up, although customisation of features will take more effort. There is no fan speed regulation – so fan noise can be intrusive. There is good intuitive browser based interface, and the DLNA server – is great for streaming to Smart TVs.
We have decided on installing two 3TB WD red drives as they are designed specifically for use in home and small business NAS devices. With this purpose in mind, the WD's are built for durability, power efficiency and low noise levels of just 23dB (A). Western Digital's `Intellipower' system, which uses caching, promises faster throughput than you'd expect from a 5,400rpm disk.

There is however a small downside, there’s poor slow file write speed which means that these disks are less than ideal if, for instance, you want to habitually back up lots of documents to your NAS, But this has to be balanced by the Red's low power consumption, low noise levels and three year warranty make it well suited to its intended purpose - NAS storage.
Now returning back to the NAS, the bundled software is perhaps not as comprehensive as the software from Synology or similar, but Zyxel still has a number of features. The pricing at an average price of £105 makes this a serious contender.
The Zyxel NSA325 V2 is a reasonably fast NAS device with a good amount of different features. The Zyxel NSA325 V2 is a pretty good all round NAS device with two disks. You can download and upload automatically, share your files in lots of different ways and view them on your mobile devices. It's versatile, fast enough and very reasonably priced. The only thing I don't like about it is that it makes a little noise from the cooling fans.

4.0 out of 5 stars Noise issues can be rectified - It's the LED's that bug me now!!!!, 6 April 2015
Daniel Thompson (Worcester, UK) - See all my reviews
Having read the previous reviews, I bought this to put in my bedroom knowing the fan was noisey. It is, but not to the extent it'll wake anyone but the lightest of sleepers, though it is annoying because of the noise the fan makes. Setup was a breeze, and once you've worked out the included software and the web interface (probably the better option than the software for my taste), it is really nice and fairly intuitive to use. I've just put in a 2TB HDD for now, as I'll buy another at some point to create extra space (or a pair and set up as a RAID array???).

Installation of the HDD is easy, and the item comes with an adapter for 2.5 inch drives too. I've put in a WD 2TB Green OEM, and it works lovely.

Changing the fan was easy, once I ordered the right size!!! You will need 80x80x20mm - no thicker than 20mm or it won't fit. Take the front cover off, and undo the screws on the bottom of the case, then slide off the big bit from the back end, and you can access the fan.

I put in a Coolink SWiF2-80L, which isn't the cheapest but is doing a great job - though the cable on it is quite long. You can get one on Amazon - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coolink-SWiF2-80L-SWIF2-80L-Retail-Silent/dp/B0046Y62Y4

ZYXEL would get 5 stars for the NSA320S had the fan been any cop, and as this isn't a new problem, I'm surprised by the fact they've not resolved this yet - especially with their history.

Oh, and finally (as per the title, which I nearly forgot) - the blue LED is somewhat bright, and will light up a dark bedroom quite well, and because it's around the edge of the power button, the easiest solution is to put a book over it!

That being said, it doesn't deserve any less than 4 stars as it's still a great NAS bay, and even buying a single HDD with it puts it easily in front of ready-made NAS's (such as WD's MyCloud) due to the functionality and performance.

5.0 out of 5 stars ZyXEL NSA310S - An Absolute Gem, 19 Mar. 2015
After reading all of the reviews, I decided to purchase the NSA310S as I didn't need a RAID configuration (all my data is stored in the cloud). As this is half the price of a 2 bay, it appeared to be a real bargain. So how did it fair?

1. Initial Impressions - On receiving the box, I was impressed both with the outer and inner packaging. This gave me confidence that, although it was relatively cheap, it was a quality product. On unpacking and checking the contents, my confidence remained high. Although the front panel is plastic, it does not look cheap and the overall feel of the box was of a quality product, particularly for the price.

2. Installation - This couldn't have been easier. I removed the front panel inserted the drive and re-secured the front panel. I then connected it to my router and powered it up. All indications on the front panel were good (it recognised the drive). Next step was to fire up the installation disk and configure the NAS. Although it is handy to have an understanding of networks, this is not essential as the setup guide was simple and straightforward. Got mine running after 5 minutes. Took me a while after this to set up the various parameters with the help of the extensive and well written manual but, again, this was relatively straightforward.

3. Real World Operation - I set the NAS up to both Wake On LAN and also with Scheduled wake up and shut down. I then copied all of my media files to the NAS (took a while as this is not the fastest!). Once this was complete, I then switched off the NAS and tested the Wake On LAN function which worked perfectly. I then simultaneously streamed movies (different ones) to my TV, mobile and tablet. I am pleased to report that all streamed perfectly. Although the processor is slower than the 2 bay versions, it is certainly powerful enough to do what I wanted. I then switched the device off and tested the Scheduled wake up and shut down. Again, this worked as expected.

In conclusion, I can fully recommend the 1 Bay NSA310S as it does everything perfectly and is probably one of the easiest devices to set up that I have owned. And, of course, it runs Twonkey as the Media Server which is a real bonus.

I will now set it up for remote access. Happy days. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great media player/NAS, 22 Dec. 2014
T. Sullivan (Somerset) - See all my reviews
Early days so 5 stars for what I've encountered to date, time will tell re-longevity and reliability. I bought this to make use of the 2tb drive salvaged from my expired Iomega NAS [would never buy another] which was one of several flakey NAS media servers purchased over the last ten years.
Typical Amazon, arrived next day perfectly packaged and to fit my drive took less than a minute. It only requires removal of one screw, and I was so impatient I used the tip a butter knife as I was in the kitchen. Without recourse to hours of reading or locating ip addresses, I plugged in the lan cable and power and popped in the enclosed cd and that was it. There are numerous features such as the valuable dropbox I haven't explored yet but copying my music and video files back, my TV and cellphone found them immediately.
Best of all if you have a large media collection, the navigation tree provides search by the usual, genre, album etc but most importantly this device allows search by folder. Few NAS drives in my experience do this without recourse to hours of tweaking but for example a series of 26 folders A - Z can hold artist folders similarly grouped beginng A, ABBA etc and then individual albums within each. Three clicks finds any album or video which when navigating using a TV remote is a delight.
I chose the 310S [empty enclosure] because I had a drive, but I believe the 310 comes with a drive and a price that reflects this.
Excellent NAS.....so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little networked hard drive/media server, 2 April 2015
A great product, if a little difficult to use. Set up is fairly straight forward using the web-based setup wizard. I only have one drive (Seagate 1TB) installed at present in JBOD. Will add another in RAID1 incase anything goes wrong with the Seagate.

It is a little noisy when running, due to the fan but not overwhelming and you easily forget about it.

Following the manual is tedious but a call to Zyxel's HQ in the UK helped me out greatly.

One thing to note, make sure you've got a MAC/PC to hand when loading files onto the drive as mapping the drive on your computer then copying across to the NSA is much easier and less stress than using the built-in zPilot app which quite frankly is yet to work with my Windows 8.1 laptop...

Don't let other reviews put you off, it's easily as fast as the Synology Diskstation (I have one also and read/write access times are pretty much the same).

Make sure your router is gigabit enabled (Ethernet port) as this greatly helps in the file transfer speed.

For £123 including shipping and a 1TB drive, you really can't go wrong!

3.0 out of 5 stars A budget BusyBox NAS, lacking refinement but with a decent suite of applications, 23 Feb. 2014
Peter (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This budget NAS enclosure offers RAID-1 protection for your data, easy network connectivity and a fair selection of downloadable apps to provide a variety of functionality. On the downside, it looks cheap and plasticky and that it makes a bit more noise than you'd ideally like. You also need to be a bit careful not to accidentally overwrite your data if one of the disks fails.

My first impression was that although the front panel is glossy black plastic, the rest of the box looks like its made of cheap plastic. Opening the front to install disks didn't improve on that first impression: the front cover needs to be firmly pressed and slid to the left, whereupon it comes off. There are no hinges. The disk caddies are very basic plastic trays, held in place by a basic plastic clip. On the plus side, there are mounting holes for both 2.5" and 3.5" disks, and the holes for the 3.5" disks have rubber grommets to reduce vibration. The power supply is a generic 12V 5A unit. There are 2 x USB 2.0 port on the back and a single USB 3.0 port on the front. The fan is a large 80mm fan, which is much quieter than the 40mm fan on my D-Link ShareCenter Pulse, but it is still noticeable, especially as the pitch changes up and down every few seconds. There is also an intermittent buzz that seems to be a resonance on the back panel. Additionally, the entire unit vibrates from the disk drives, and this makes my desk vibrate too - I cured this by putting it on a foam pad.

Setting up the unit is straightforward. There's an application you can use, but I just logged in to the web interface. It's not completely compatible with Chrome, so I used Internet Explorer. Other than changing the Windows Workgroup (I don't use the default value), the only configuration required was choosing the volume configuration. Choices are JBOD (which the NSA325 helpfully suggests is of little benefit), RAID-0 (striping for performance) and RAID-1 (mirroring for resilience).

When you create a RAID-1 volume, which is what I use, it is initially created on the first disk and then becomes available to use while the mirroring is set up on the second disk. Filesystem creation is fast, but the mirroring takes a few minutes.

Once the mirroring was complete, I tried pulling a disk and fitting another larger disk. The disk started up and was recognised, but there was no option to repair the degraded volume until I rebooted the enclosure. A repair icon then appeared, and this allowed a single-click resync (I believe that if the new disk had been unpartitioned the remirroring would have started automatically). However, you need to be careful: if disk 1 (the left disk) fails, you need to move the remaining disk across to slot 1 and put the new disk into slot 2: mirroring only seems to work from disk 1 to disk 2, and there's therefore a risk that you may inadvertently overwrite the last remaining copy of your data by copying the new disk to the one with your data on.

If you want to migrate to bigger disks, then you can replace them one at a time, taking care to make sure the remirroring has completed after each disk is replaced. You can then very easily expand your volume to use the additional disk space with just a single mouse-click. And you get to see some cryptic unix-style messages while the ext2 filesystem is extended.

By default you get music, photo, public and video shares, all of which offer unrestricted access. The volume and admin shares require the admin password. However, you can set up users and groups (following the unix model), and you can require authentication if you so wish.

There's a fair selection of packages (apps) available to download and install. The operating system is BusyBox v1.17.2, and it comes with the ASH shell - you just need to tick a box to enable telnet access. All the packages can and should be installed from the web interface. They include a backup manager, DynDNS support, Gallery, GoogleDrive, NFS, NZBGet, PHP/MySQL (required for some of the other packages but also of interest to computing enthusiasts), Polkast (smart device access to your files), SMART (disk healthcheck), SqueezeCenter, Syslog, tFTP, Transmission (P2P), WordPress, eMule (P2P), ownCloud and pyLoad. Some of these are utilities, but there's most of what you're likely to need once you've added on the built-in functionality, which includes Twonky media player, an iTunes server, web/P2P download, web publishing of shares and the like. There's even a slightly scary option to upload your photos and videos automatically to Flikr and YouTube. I like the way most functionality is turned off until you enable it - it's more secure and it means you're not wasting resource on services you don't need.

It's not a perfect unit, then, but the noise level is sufficiently low that I don't get annoyed with it, and the slightly plasticky and inconvenient access to the drive bays is acceptable given that I don't plan to have lots of disk failures. It doesn't have the refinement of a Netgear ReadyNAS, but it's a lot less annoying than the whirring dervish that is my (now redundant) D-Link ShareCenter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Zyxel vs MyBook World, 6 Mar. 2014
I recently bought the Zyxel NSA325v2 after a year or more of trying to get the MyBook World II to work properly. The difference is chalk and cheese with the Zyxel so far performing very well. First off, I put the discs from the MyBook (WD 1TB Green) into the Zyxel which then reported that it was re-syncing - the same issue that I had with MyBook. However, after a few hours (and about 100GB of data already transferred) the Zyxel informed me that one of the discs wasn't working, which the MyBook never did and their help service never pointed me in that direction. After a bit of research into which replacement disc would be best I ordered 2 x WD 1TB Red. I replaced the faulty Green disc with one of the Red ones and after a few hours the Zyxel reported that the both discs were healthy and had rebuilt the RAID 1. I then replaced the original good Green disc with the second new Red one and the Zyxel rebuilt the RAID again within a few hours. After that, I was able to get around 8MB/s transfer rate using WiFi from a laptop running W8. The user interface is a dream to use compared to MyBook and so far I'm very happy with the purchase.
I have been able to set up shares to back up the various computers that we have in the house as well as using the DLNA feature to show video and stills on the TV via my XBox 360 and play music the same way.
The unit sits on a shelf in the lounge and is very unobtrusive with virtually no noise. Disc replacement using the slide-in plastic caddies is very easy and the ability to take 2.5" discs will suit some although I am using 3.5" with no heat or noise problems.
There are other features that I haven't used yet since my prime use is for back-up, sharing and media streaming all of which it is doing admirably. I've given it 4 rather than 5 stars since the manual, although extensive, doesn't include a picture of the device (to identify the controls/displays) nor does it address the questions a relative novice to these technologies might ask - probably aimed at a 14 year old rather than a pensioner!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased with it - shame the fan does not turn-off whilst in standby mode., 30 Dec. 2014
Overall very good value as a NAS. I already have a 2-bay Synology but wanted more NAS storage for media use. I couldn't justify the cost of buying another Synology (or upgrading it). The Zyxel came in as a very good contender - I wanted a NAS that had good power management options.

The Zyxel offers a very good array of software and options (ie remote access) but I am not interested in these for what I want out of the media NAS. It is set-up on a home network in JBOD (I have several old HDD's for off-site backup) and wanted to maximise my storage options and not lose disk volume by using RAID.

My only real gripe is that the fan does not switch off when the HDD's spin down after the set period of inactivity. The fan does slow down, but does not completely switch-off so it a) makes some noise whilst in standby mode (never mind the power consumption) and b) is permamently going to be drawing dust through the unit. This is where the Synology is better - it is silent when in standby mode.

The noise is not a major issue as the Zyxel is in my home office - but probably not a good choice of NAS if you plan on having a media server in your front room. You can also manually/remotely shut it down. But I will need to do some research and see if I can create a WOL script so that my HTPC can power on this device remotely. (The HTPC is in the family room and is not easily accessable).

Overall, I would prefer a second Synology but the decent Synology's with power management etc cost at least a £100 more than the Zyxel.