1,243 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Both sides of the fence
Third and final volume in the Divergent series, a young adult dystopian post apocalyptic trilogy. This began with Divergent (Divergent, Book 1). And this volume being the final one means it's obviously not a jumping on point.

Regular readers of the series can read on.

This book runs for five hundred and twenty pages. It is divided into fifty six...
Published 1 month ago by Paul Tapner

2.0 out of 5 stars When the factions went, so did the story.
**SPOILERS**

Published 2 months ago by Amifra

2.0 out of 5 stars When the factions went, so did the story., 4 Aug 2014
**SPOILERS**

It seen to me that when the factions, in the book, were destroyed, so was the story line. Either Veronica Roth had no idea what to do for the last book or she just wasn't bothered. But I can honestly say that it has never taken me this long to finish a book before. I'll admit that I fell in love with the idea of the world split into factions in the first book Divergent. And how secrets were uncovered in Insurgent. I went around saying 'I'm an Insurgent Divergent.' Of course Allegiant revealed more secrets and gave me some answers. But not all questions were answered in this back and forth story. And I sadly say that the romance was a flop.

Let me just say this: the story was a drag. Obviously fans of this series will agree with me when I say that this story wouldn't exist without the factions. And in the end it didn't. VR just wasn't able to pull it off. It really did seem to me that when the factions were destroyed, VR really had no idea what to do next for the story and instead came up with one simple idea and used it repeatedly thought out the story. Just a lot of repeating the same thing over and over again in different wording and making it the length of a book.

I liked it when VR came up with the brilliant idea of switching view points. It was interesting in the beginning to look into the mind of Four/Tobias. But when every chapter was a different person it got very confusing and not just to me but to the author as well because it seemed as if both Tris' and Tobias' characters merged to form one as the thoughts and speech were very much alike. If you missed the chapter name in the beginning you'd be very lost. More than a few times did I have to go back to see which character I was reading. It also didn't help that both characters, although in the same time and place, had completely different stories. I mean, I'm pretty sure girlfriend and boyfriend aren't supposed to keep that much from each other.

I admit that I like it when authors kill off main characters. But when Tris dies it's 1) not clear as to whether or not she coming back and 2) not very effect because there isn't as much grieving over her as there should have been. Just to give effect. There were more memories about her than an actual funeral and grief/lost. Especially from Tobias. The romance seem to have completely dropped out.

As much as I loved the first books and the stories' idea, this book sadly didn't live up to my expectations. Disappointment isn't the word I'm looking for because it did give me answers.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible ending. The trilogy finale as exciting as a soggy firework., 8 Aug 2014
Oh well, I had hoped that things might pick up a bit from the second book. Unfortunately, the third book just seemed to trundle along and never really get going. Even towards the end it didn’t manage to build up my excitement or get me intrigued as to what might happen next. I didn’t care what happened to any of the characters. I wasn’t bothered whether they ended up as victorious heroes, despised rebels or memorable martyrs. I wasn’t interested in whether bad guys turned good, good guys turned bad, or if family feuds were ended. It was all very dull.
I didn’t like the way the chapters kept switching between who was narrating their actions. Picking the story up mid chapter I often had to try to remind myself who was doing the talking. Is it Tris? Is is Tobias? Arrrgh! And speaking of Tobias, the action hard man has turned into a bit of a wuss.
This trilogy didn’t go out with a bang so much as it fizzled out with a whimper. It’s a shame really because it started out well. It just couldn’t keep the pace going. I won’t be bothering with any of the side line books. I don’t think I’ll even bother watching the first film because I now know that the series isn’t so much a roller coaster ride of excitement and is more of a Sunday drive out with elderly relatives.

1.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting that it would (eventually) get better. It didn't., 29 April 2014
NB: Plot and ending spoilers.

Like many other readers here, I felt compelled to write a review. This has been on my mind for days and I need to get it off my chest; I'm still having irritated outbursts whenever I think about this book.

Firstly, I really enjoyed the first two and eagerly read them having watched the first film. The story was interesting and held my attention, the characters were unique and likeable. Although there were tragedies and difficult topics, they were dealt with sensitively and with due care and consideration.

Needless to say, Allegiant was not like that. I persevered (had I known the ending, I wouldn't have), expecting that it would improve and fall into place. It didn't. I was genuinely upset at the end. I was left with the sense the whole book was a missed opportunity and the overwhelming feeling that I had been cheated of my time and money. I felt the characters had not received a just and well-thought out ending. Unsurprisingly, I have several complaints that made this book an actively negative contribution to my reading experience.

Firstly, we had Tobias' voice. This could have been brilliant. He's an engaging character; damaged, courageous, kind, fiercely loyal, all the things that make someone appealing in YA fiction. This was the first missed opportunity, the first hurdle at which our author had some inexplicable problem. Tobias was (amazingly) terribly boring. There was nothing distinctive about his voice. I kept having to check whether it was him or Tris, such was my confusion. I do not suffer from a short attention span, it was just poorly written (why? I don't know, there was nothing in the previous books that suggested this would be the case). He had a miraculous character change from an independent and headstrong man to a naive loser, who seemed suddenly incapable of independent will and ideas. Why would a character that is suspicious of authority and what other people tell him about himself (given he was horribly abused), suddenly believe some ridiculous category inflicted upon him by an obviously misguided group of people? Why would he ignore Tris, when he had already learned his lesson in the previous book? It is implausible and had no understandable mitigating circumstances which could justify it. But alas, this was the most minor of the offences that make this book utterly unsatisfying.

Secondly on characters; Evelyn and Marcus. Roth had done some great work here with deep, interesting plots - people with genuinely complex and difficult relationships. Did we get any closure here? No. Evelyn just ran away and Marcus disappeared without a event. The possibilities here were immense, why the cop out?

Then we had what was beyond the fence. This was a massive, irredeemable anti-climax and if I'd been a bit more cynical I would have given up and realised it wasn't going to improve, as this was probably the point of no return. The premise is a very boring, dressed up utopian idea about purity (in this case genetic rather than racial) that lead to exterminations and random experiments. There was the Purity War which was never properly explained as well as being a bit far-fetched. Even the characters seemed to have trouble with it. This bizarre context also randomly incorporated Big Brother (but wasn't as scary or compelling), which added nothing but further implausibility. It is perhaps unsurprising then that the characters were underdeveloped or poor imitations of previous ones, so I didn't feel anything about them, other than confused and disappointed that they weren't better.

The ending. Where to begin. The logic was odd, like everything else. The Bureau was a relatively benign dictatorship as far as they go and simply reseting the city did not seem all that bad, given it was a mess. The fact the characters wanted to leave in the first place suggests that they didn't care very much about what happened there, so why bother at all? They also had time to go and collect various people to save, so why not do that and leave everyone else? or notify Evelyn and Marcus so they could put aside their numerable differences to negotiate a truce in time for the greater good or self preservation? The possibilities were vast but once again missed.

Finally, I categorically disagree that Tris' 'sacrifice' was something to be particularly proud of. I understand the biblical no greater love than laying down your life for your friends etc. But nothing about this made any sense. Tris could have saved Chicago (albeit with above plot flaws) without being shot and killed by a supposed former friend of her mother's. This would have redeemed it in my eyes, I could have forgiven all of the above of Roth had granted us this; killing her was unnecessary and upsetting. It would have been better to have her injured (and make us wonder whether she was dead) and then have the happy ending we all wanted. I don't buy the realism line or excuse, nothing about this book was 'real', so why start now? I don't read fiction for realism, thanks very much, I have my own life for that. I read books for entertainment and this was not entertaining. Tragedy can be, but this wasn't, it felt unfair. After this sad demise, I kept expecting that she would miraculously survive somehow; she's a survivor after all and had beaten the odds every time. But the disappointment continued. Instead I had an ending full of unsatisfying grief (this wasn't enough in my view, Tobias was until the end quite dull) and a rubbish scattering of ashes scene. This was not a good ending. Where was the closure? What had Tobias learnt? Life's not fair, you'll never get what you want, those that love you always leave, tough luck? What had Tris learned? Sacrifice means dying for a good cause? It doesn't have too, as she had already understood. I think her parents would have wanted her to live and have a good life (doesn't every parent?); arguably they died so she could have that. Why kill her? I'm utterly mystified.

So in short: I'd avoid the series altogether or at the very least avoid this book. I wish I had. If you feel like you want to finish it, prepare to be unsatisfied and disappointed. All I got out of it was feeling thoroughly depressed and now irritated. I'm also 20 pounds poorer.

As someone else has already said, you might as well make up your own ending after Insurgent, it will be much better than Roth's strange and inexplicable attempt.

1.0 out of 5 stars Spoiler!, 2 Aug 2014
This review is from: Allegiant (Divergent Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
I absolutely loved the first and second book but this one was awful! I wish I had never read it now! I finished reading it a couple of days ago but still find myself getting annoyed when i think about it! Like the previous comments suggest, make up your own ending because it'll be better than this one!

I think this book needs to be re - written and have an ending where the main character lives and doesn't die in a stupid way/reason! It makes you think 'what was the point?'

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost its Way, 18 Aug 2014
This review is from: Allegiant (Divergent Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
The third and final book in the series, Allegiant is definitely the worst of the three. I give it three stars because I love the characters and the world and the concept, but I feel like by the third book, it lost its way a bit and the author was grasping at straws for where to go next, and it felt a lot less well planned out. Things kind of spiral outwards as she searches for more plot strands to tie everything up. This book reveals the big over-arching concept behind the entire series, and finalises the characters' stories, so that for me was enough reason to buy it and finish it. But I feel it definitely went down hill.

My one other comment would be that in this book, particularly toward the end, it becomes clear that the author is religious. It kind of turns into a moral tale and the speech of the characters Tris and Four just becomes very un-teenage and very preachy and moral. It's unrealistic - their relationship is portrayed more like two middle-aged church-goers at times. One memorable example that stuck in my head was after an argument, these two teenagers are making up and talking it over, and one of them says to the other (I don't remember which way around it was - they are so similar by the end in their voices): We're going to forgive each other hundreds of times in our lives in the future, so we may as well start now. It just struck me as too grown-up and too sensible and entirely unrealistic. There are too many moral preachy conversations between them toward the end as well.

I liked the ending given to Tris, unlike many reviewers. I felt it was appropriate, though the set up for it with all the 'stop taking stupid risks' / 'they're not stupid risks' crap was a bit much.

Glad I finished it and found out the ending but series plummeted in my opinion with this final book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Veronica Roth what was you thinking!! spoiler alert***, 10 April 2014
The first two books were fantastic,Really Good, couldn't put them down!
The third book was ok at best and then went down into an absolute hopeless pit. I actually wish I hadn't read the trilogy.
I could say I wish I'd only read the first two books but its always going to be an itch you want to scratch to know how it ends, but reading the 3rd one really just makes you feel like you wasted your time connecting with the characters in the first two books, rooting for them etc. YOU DO NOT KILL YOUR LEADING CHARACTER I HATE IT WHEN WRITERS DO THIS BOOKS LIKE THIS DESERVE A HAPPY ENDING I HOPE WHEN THEY MAKE THE FILM THEY CHANGE THE ENDING

I actually really hope she writes an alternate 3rd book or at least an alternate ending, even if its not published as a hard copy and just an e-book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant series that lost its way, 30 Jun 2014
Bamba "Bamba" (Midlands, England) - See all my reviews
*SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS**

It's always impossible for any author to write the ending of a much loved series, there are always going to be unhappy readers & I do see what Veronica Roth was trying to do here & I have alot of respect & admiration for her & this world she has created & shown us so brilliantly (& I have alot of respect for her blog post about the ending which was very endearing)...however, even though I didn't completely hate this book, it didn't really work for me.

I hate the idea that everything has to be a trilogy or more. Like the Hunger Games (& that third book I did hate) this series would have worked so much better as a 2 book series with an extra few chapters at the end of Insurgent tying everything up.

It was obvious late in Book 1 that this was a 'village' type experiment & that there was a wider world out there. What would have worked perfectly for me was to have the factionless/good guys win & for them to venture out into the modern world. Fade to black, perfect.

Instead, very much like Catching Fire, we get a whole new us vs them/war scenario which is just frustrating in a 3rd book. It's like clutching at straws to drag the story out & as a result its riddled with plot holes & scientific nonsense that is just frustrating.

Pros:
*I love the world VR has created overall & thats why Ive given it 3 stars and like I said, I didn't hate it.
*Matthew, very interesting character & wish he had been fleshed out more
* Peters journey in this book is good
* I didn't actually mind what happened to Tris, just the reasons behind it.

Cons:

*Tobias and Tris's voices sounding exactly the same, to the point where most of the time I had no clue whose chapter I was reading until the other person was mentioned by name.

* The whole plan. If everyone in the world thought genetically damaged people were to blame for everything then how does erasing the memories of one set of peoole help? When they were retrained, they would still be liasing with the government & other people monitoring the other projects and every person they met ever would still be party to the propaganda that said GD were inferior. If anything them at the Bureau suddenly mass changing their mind would raise suspicions and probably mean the higher ups (those not on site) would replace them or figure out what had happened & this would cause even more troubles.

* Natalie Priors story. Does not work at all. From Book1 we know that all the factions go to school together, so when they talk of adjusting 'a few people's memories' for her to fit in, that cannot be possible. They would have had to adjusted all 4 factions kids memories plus the entire dauntless faction because they all knew each other within their factions. It just didn't make any sense.

* Uriah. Deaths only make sense in books when it assists the story. I know that its to show how pointless war is etc etc etc but this added absolutely nothing to this book, in fact it hindered the flow of the story quite substantially.

* Tris's reasoning at the end. She did it out of love for her brother & because she thought she may have had a chance...okay fair enough but her parents sacrificing themselves so she would live & her quite clearly loving Caleb more than he does her,
makes this all just overally complicated & a bit silly. Parents died for Caleb too...would much rather it been in battle. It was all a bit similiar to the reasons Harry has in Harry Potter but it actually makes sense in those books. This seems grasping at straws for a reason that doesn't quite flow or give enough back for the reader.

Overall, as Ive said it was a good read, a page turner and Veronica Roth is obviously very talented but this is a weak book & the series didn't really need Book 3. Sometimes a concluding chapter and leaving it a 2 books would be the bravest decision & much more rewarding for the readers.

1.0 out of 5 stars what the hell, 14 Jan 2014
I have spent a week reading the divergent trilogy. The first two books were amazing and expected the last one to be just as good. Instead it was very difficult to read and didn't flow in the same way the last two did. It seemed the author rushed to write the final book and it dragged on. The ending was very disappointing if your after a happy ever after do not bother reading it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed., 23 April 2014
This review is from: Allegiant (Divergent Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
I considered giving two stars because I feel loyal to the trilogy as a whole, but this book brought the whole thing down. The first two books were amazing, but this one just wasn't gripping enough. The whole thing seemed to be an explanation, but the action and adventure was severely lacking. Like many other readers, I am heartbroken with the ending. There seemed to be so many ways around it. In most books you see all the characters have a purpose or telos, but it seems only Tris got that, and in the worst possible way. If you've read the first two books, I would read it because you'll never have your answers otherwise. Just be brave.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 14 July 2014
This review is from: Allegiant (Divergent Book 3) (Kindle Edition)
Miserable ending, as bewailed by countless fans. The 1st 2 books captured my imagination but sadly the last, as with many trilogies, ran out of steam. The moment there was mention of life beyond the fence, visions of M Night Shyamalan's "The Village" and countless movies and stories of a similar ilk came to mind; and true enough, the same storyline was trotted out, perhaps updated by the addition of genetic engineering. Life in the dystopian city is revealed to have been all a sham and the real world as we know it, exists outside. There's the usual banter enjoyed by teenagers (and me - not so young) and the endless introduction of characters who are happily shot/killed/maimed to the very end. It is amazing after the 1st 2 books that there are any characters (with skin, hair, limbs and their own teeth) left standing. I was lured to the trilogy by the movie, enjoyed the twists and turns of Book 2 but this? Humph.

Allegiant (Divergent Book 3)