5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning...I couldn't put it down!
Eva is so in love with her husband Jackson, so when he dies in a tragic accident she is left devastated. Needing closure and wanting to know more about Jackson’s life before he met her, Eva takes a journey to Tasmania to meet his estranged family. But when she arrives, things are not all they seem…

Oh my…I was left utterly speechless by this...
Published 3 months ago by Megan ReadingInTheSunshine

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written but as much a romance as a thriller
Published 2 months ago by Carol

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning...I couldn't put it down!, 27 Mar 2014
Megan ReadingInTheSunshine (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Single Breath (Paperback)

Oh my…I was left utterly speechless by this book. I know I had high hopes after my LOVE for The Sea Sisters, and A Single Breath exceeded my hopes for a brilliant story! Wow.

I was drawn in from the very first lines, and along with Eva I quickly had many questions – Why aren't things as they seem? What was going to happen when Eva reached Tasmania and found Jackson’s family?

A Single Breath is fascinating and surprising all at once. With every chapter I discovered something new and unexpected, and Lucy’s writing is so fantastic because although I had ideas of what might happen, I was wrong and I was left gasping in shock at all of the twists and turns I came across. I loved that I had no idea what would happen next, and I enjoyed that I was discovering all of these revelations along with Eva, so it helped me feel close to her and left me urging her on to uncover the truth about Jackson and his life.

The descriptions are STUNNING. I loved the scenes of fishing and diving in Tasmania, and when I was reading these scenes it felt as though I had been transported there and I was living those moments with the characters. Lucy’s writing had me looking up these beautiful places and wishing I was heading there myself!

A Single Breath is an intriguing story that pulled me in from the first page, and had me racing through desperate to know what would happen. I couldn’t tear myself away from this book, the words are stunning, the plot is complex and gripping and it is a story that has stayed with me since finishing. Wow.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully written and riveting read, 27 Mar 2014
Zarina @ Page to Stage reviews (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Single Breath (Paperback)
Lucy Clarke's debut novel The Sea Sisters was one of my favourite reads of 2013 - highly engrossing and filled with complicated family dynamics, exotic locations and a good dose of intrigue, it made for a perfect addition to my summer reading list. It was also a memorable novel and one that I have been recommending extensively to my friends since. So when I heard about Lucy's newest novel I couldn't get my hands on a copy quick enough!

Once more the story is set in an foreign location, Tasmania this time around. This was particularly fascinating and exciting for me as I spent a few weeks on a road trip across the island as part of a wider Australia trip and so it was wonderful to get the chance to return to this beautiful and lush location without having to dig deep into my pockets the funds to buy a plane ticket. Plus I could see if Lucy would do a place I had actually been to (opposed to the mostly foreign to me locations in The Sea Sisters) justice on paper and she most certainly did.

This is the story of a young British woman called Eva. She loses her husband Jackson in a tragic accident and in an attempt to find closure she impulsively books a flight to Australia to connect to her late husband's estranged family and to get the chance to explore the place he grew up. They'd only been married for a short while and she knew little of his life back in Tasmania, but what Eva hadn't expected was that on her journey she would discover that she didn't really know her husband at all.

Almost each chapter there is new shocking revelation, putting everything Eva thought she knew about Jackson in a new and more sinister perspective. As she tries to cope with this adjusted view of the man she loved so intensively - even if it was for only a short period of time - she finds a great support in her quiet brother-in-law, Saul. She inevitably grows closer to him, but struggling to make sense of her already confused feelings she's unsure if she really likes him for him, or because in so many ways he reminds her of what she loved about her husband.

What makes this novel even more intriguing from a reader's point of view is that somewhere along the line it changes from a beautiful and poignant story about love and loss, into a riveting psychological thriller along the likes of Gone Girl and Before I Go to Sleep - keeping the reader on the edge of their seat for the remainder of the novel. It becomes a fast-paced page-turner, which makes it impossible to put the book down as you simply have to know what happens next, even if it means forgoing some much-needed sleep (trust me, I know...).

Lucy Clarke cleverly balances her engrossing thriller with rich descriptions of the lush Tasmanian landscape, transporting the reader from the miserable grey British spring weather to warmer climates where the days are spend fishing and floating in the water to watch the magical world that's hiding just underneath the surface. It's those few relaxing moments in which both Eva and the reader get the chance to reflect on the revelations thus far and connect the translucent flaws in Jackson's backstory which had been there all along.

A Single Breath's layered story remains unpredictable until the last page, making it very gripping indeed. Add to that the rich descriptions of Tasmania (which have me yearn to return to the island) and you've got a beautifully written and engrossing read from start to finish.

4.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Single Breath (Kindle Edition)
Thank you to Harper Collins here in the UK for sending me a gorgeous uncorrected proof copy.

Eva and Jackson have been married for less than a year when Jackson tragically drowns. From the first page, I loved Jackson and thought his never-ending personality was fantastic. He’s the type of character who I could read about non-stop and never tire. But from my instincts, I sensed that their marriage wasn’t all flowers and rainbows.

After Chapter One, we hear from Jackson in a note form which I thought was a gorgeous addition to the narrative. But were these notes written before he died? Did he already know that he would drown? There were a lot of unanswered questions lurking. Once readers reach the middle of the book, there are a lot of shocks but they don’t all come at once. When you least expect it, it’ll hit you like a ton of bricks and will leave your mouth hanging open.

What didn’t add up for me was that Eva’s flashbacks to her marriage with Jackson were mainly about not having a lot of money and she would cringe if he splashed out and took her out for dinner. But when he dies, she drops everything and flies to Australia. What happened to having no money Eva? It was a little confusing on that sense, but didn’t affect my love for the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant--will be a hit for summer, 3 April 2014
This review is from: A Single Breath (Paperback)
You know those books that you tear through in mere hours, devouring each page and rabidly flipping to the next for more? Those books that you can’t put down to eat, sleep or do anything else? Those books that, when you do begrudgingly put them down stay in your thoughts while you try and unravel the plot? A Single Breath is one of those books. I only stopped reading to go to work and even that was a struggle. Lucy Clarke’s second novel absolutely blew me away and I’m embarrassed that it sat on my shelf for over a month until I got around to it.

Some have struggled with the complicated and, admittedly unrealistic plot. I think it’s brilliant and twisted and just awesome and, to be fair, it’s a work of fiction. Despite it’s genre, Clarke has very clearly done her research on the Tasmanian setting and culture. None of it, to read from her acknowledgements (yes, I’m a nerd) is made up apart from the names of the places and a few minor details. You can always tell when an author is familiar with the setting they’re writing in and Clarke is no exception.

The characters were great. Eva was well rounded and I felt her anguish at the death of her husband and her confusion as the story unravelled. Saul, her brother in law, struck me as being a very bronzed and gorgeous man with a heart of gold. Book crush, anyone? I started off liking Eva’s husband Jackson but, spoilers aside, my opinion soon turned.

Everything about this book was what I’d needed — fast paced and voracious with an exotic setting. I honestly can’t believe how much I enjoyed this book and I’m sure others will be raving about it soon. I wouldn’t be surprised if this makes the Richard and Judy list as Clarke’s first novel, The Sea Sisters did last year. Regardless, you’ll have a massive book hangover after this one.

Thank you to the publishers for providing an advance copy in exchange for an honest review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dive into a great read, 6 April 2014
This review is from: A Single Breath (Kindle Edition)
Its not often that a story really captivates you but I loved this,was such a beautiful told story with twists and turns throughout the whole book, could literally not put it down and read in 2 days, would recommend to anyone looking for a great read full of mystery and suprises and that loves dosent always turn out the way you thought it would!

5.0 out of 5 stars another 'cracker' from lucy clarke, 6 April 2014
This review is from: A Single Breath (Paperback)
A single breath sees the turmoil of losing the one you love, how someone so level headed and decisive, can literally lose their mind through sadness. After the death of her husband, eva is numb with grief and needs to be close to the people who knew her husband as well as she thought she knew him. Travelling to tasmania, his home town, Eva begins to unravel a jumble sale of secrets, revealing her husband to be a very different person to the one she married.
This book, like The Sea Sisters', is addictive, a real page turner which i couldn't put down.
With a knack of placing the reader perfectly in the scene, Lucys detailed descriptions of the places and wildlife make you feel like you're a part of the story, and having lived in Tasmania, i could really relate to the different smells, the wildlife, the feeling of complete calm. She really captured the beauty of a place i hold very close to my heart.
i've read it twice and i'm sure i'll be reading it again!

3.0 out of 5 stars Well written but as much a romance as a thriller, 9 May 2014
This review is from: A Single Breath (Paperback)
Its well written and descriptive with well rounded characters. The twists are mostly hidden and I would describe it as much as a romance as a thriller, I just wanted a thriller. What galled me most, apart from the predictable twists was the amount of international travel that took place particularly in cases where the characters doing the travelling have very little money. This kind of made the thriller part of it a bit unrealistic to me and that combined with too much burgeoning romance put me off buying this author again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait!!, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: A Single Breath (Kindle Edition)
Since reading her debut novel The Sea Sisters and being totally captivated by Lucy's writing, I have been eager to read her next book. The wait is over and A Single Breath does not disappoint.

The story is a page turner from beginning to end. Lucy's characters are very 'real', - I felt completely involved in Eva's story and the rollercoaster ride of emotions she was experiencing, which Lucy dealt with great empathy. As in her previous novel, you are constantly being second guessed by the turn of events but the author still manages to deal convincingly with each twist and turn. A real page turner.

Most compelling for me with regards to the author's style of writing, is her outstanding ability to transport you to the wonderful locations she chooses to set her books in. It is so obvious from her writing that she has herself been and experienced these amazing places. Lucy's descriptions are in a word stunning.

I highly recommend A Single Breath if you want an intelligent pacey read, believable characters, that will leave you wanting to read even more by this talented young writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put it down!, 5 May 2014
Queen B (Salisbury, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Single Breath (Paperback)
I wish I could give it more than 5 stars because it's one of the best books I've ever read. I was completely hooked from the very first page and straight away was emotionally invested in Eva, the heroine. I'm not a big fan of description but Lucy Clarke weaves it so beautifully around the action you really feel that cold day on the rocks in Dorset and later the heat, dust and bush of Tasmania. I can't say much more because the plot is full of twists and turns you need to experience yourself. I adored it!

Women's fiction with suspense, mystery and emotional pull. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down., 6 April 2014
This review is from: A Single Breath (Paperback)
As a slow reader myself I inhaled this book in just 6 days. I was drawn in from the first page and couldn't put it down. The description of the beautiful setting made me feel as if I were there and felt as if I were part of the page turning story. Loved every word of it.

A Single Breath