on 29 July 2014
I have read a range of Daniel Arenson's books (such as Blood of Requiem and Wand of the Witch) and I have loved all of them. Which is why I was incredibly excited to read the first book of the The Moth Saga. And all of my hopes were answered, this is another good one.

Something you sadly don't see a lot is a book that actually tells a story from both sides. Every book has its conflict and every conflict has a "good" side and a "bad" side. However, it depends on who you ask who the bad guys and who the good guys are and authors tend to lose track of this while immersing themselves in their protagonists. Not Arenson. He chooses characters from both sides of his world and tells us their story. This means that as a reader you have quite a lot to lose, no matter which character you root for. They, both of them teens, find themselves at war and having to face some seriously hard times. More about those hard times later. I enjoyed both sides of the story almost equally, which means that as the book progressed I got more and more engrossed in how the two sides would meet. It also means I'm terribly excited for the next book, although this book's ending would have been a terrific ending for a stand-alone.

Similarly to his other books, Arenson is brilliant at world-building. Just the concept alone was mind-blowing. If the world did stop spinning and we had a side of darkness and a side of light, this sounds like a possibility. Both sides of Arenson's world have very specific cultures but then even within those there are distinctions which is another example of how realistic fantasy is as a genre. Arenson's book beautifully brings modern struggles forward and does so through his variety of characters. There are opposing religions, kings facing uprisings and children who just want their fathers back. It all makes for an incredibly engrossing read that strikes very close to the heart.

Arenson's writing is incredibly readable and I mean that in the best possible way. His writing flows, whether it's exposition, description or dialogue. Talking about description, Arenson has some of the best. Whether he's describing a world of darkness with a culture that has traces of Japan, or whether he's describing a very English life on the sun side, the descriptions are vivid enough to come to life right in front of you. This brings me to the end of the novel which is a lot darker than the beginning. Whether I would recommend this book to children depends on how resistant they are against violence. However, none of it is gratuitous, which makes all the difference. His characters are never vile for the sake of it, but because they are part of the story. As such, it is still shocking but not in an abhorrent way.

Another think to check out is Daniel's website, and in particular the page for Moth. This book is an interactive one, to a certain extent. Not only can you find maps and art work there but also music. I loved listening to the music while reading the book, so take some time to explore. Also, if you join Daniel's Mailing list you get to chose one of his books as your welcome present, the options for which includes Moth!

I loved this novel and didn't want to put this down. Arenson excels at world-building and his characters are truly a joy to read. He not only manages to spread the awesome equally across the gender but also across the border and even if it was only for that, this book is a real must read for fantasy fans.
on 4 June 2014
I gave up reading half way through.

The descriptions lacked the strength to inspire imagery, characters were very basic and weak (they totally failed to excite) and the plot was much too opaque.

The world of moth itself flew in the face of even the most basic reasoning. A frustration exacerbated by the overt lack of an attempt to explain why a world forever fixed in two halves of light and dark still had a normal and temperate weather cycle, It had no mention of culture or myth or religion and only the most immediate of history.

In short it reads like a young teenager's first creative writing project for school.
on 7 April 2014
I loved the story ... what an imagination. I loved the story and the characters and can't wait to read the next instalment.
on 22 October 2014
Nice fantasy with an interesting premise.
Moth is set in a world split distinctly into two halves. One side in constant daylight, the other eternal night. As one would expect each half of the world has individual peoples and customs and both believe the other to be nothing more than myth, like the myth that once the world spun and night followed day.
That is of course until a girl goes missing from the light side of the world and is found murdered on the night side. This sparks of a series of events which send a simple gardener from the light side and a fisherman's daughter from the dark side on a journey to prevent a war.
on 25 January 2016
Loved the Moth - the setting is quite original and I like the slightly damaged heroes. I very much enjoyed the many metaphors relating to the stereotypes of light/dark - good/evil. It is well-written and well-edited - it is so tiresome to keep coming across basic mistakes in grammar or even use of language (that's a reason why lots of authors need a publishing house, it's not only about funding). So, having finished the first book, I've already bought the next two and can easily see myself finishing the whole series.
on 10 January 2015
Having read Requiem books I figured I would give this a try. At first I was unsure as . I am very much a dragon reader. I have to say that this was quite different to my normal read, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I managing to immerse myself in the next book which I have already purchased.
on 18 July 2014
Good imaginative storyline, but tends to drag in parts. I bought Book 2 following reading this which says something.
on 3 March 2016
A good read that came to me free. Pretty original story so now i will be happy now to move on to book two.
on 20 June 2015
I simply couldn't get into this series and so have retired from it. A shame, as it had potential!
on 13 January 2016
Enjoyed the story, character and plot. Kept me interested throughout, Bought the Saga books 1-3