5.0 out of 5 stars Positive first impressions.....
My Book for Mac
After 25 years as a dedicated PC user I am switching to Mac systems and have started with a Mac Air for holidays - no doubt I will add a Mac laptop or desktop soon
Published 7 months ago by Dr. I. Cox

1.0 out of 5 stars Not easy to use I would like to sen it back
Not easy to use I would like to sen it back !
Published 15 days ago by HANI QAQA

5.0 out of 5 stars Positive first impressions....., 22 Dec 2013
Dr. I. Cox "ian_cox9" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: WD 3 TB 3.5-inch USB 3.0 My Book External Hard Drive for Mac Desktop (Accessory)
My Book for Mac
In the very old days (ca 1997 of WIN 95 and 98) even the computer base programmes and software could be saved to floppy disks, then with the complexity of programmes and the need to store digital photographs and video more sophisticated large capacity storage has become a necessity. Prices have dropped dramatically and even 4Tb drives are readily affordable.
For the PC I have used / (still use) large external capacity drives such as Seagate and Western Digital (1-4Tb drives).
The latest Apple Macs use a special total back up programme for back up of the total system and contents, Time Machine (Certain items can also be stored / shared on iCloud, 5 GB free then charges for larger amounts)
Whilst I have so far been successful with using a standard WD drive with the Mac Air ( rather than buying an Apple "Time Capsule" which is still ca 200) , there have been reports in the Mac users websites of incompatibilities with WD software / data corruptions using WD drives.
These are my (first) impressions of a (3Tb) WD system dedicated to Mac use. This is nominally for a desktop Mac so is not intended to be portable. It is ca 50% of the Apple Time Capsule price but does not act as a central network hub.
My Mac Air came with the latest OS-X system Mountain Lion but has been updated to the latest version "Mavericks". It is fitted with 2 x USB 3.0 high speed (fast data transfer) ports and a thunderbolt port (no use without a converter Apple!!)
My Book for Mac
Out of the box (well packaged as delivered)-
The 3Tb drive is same size/weight as a (hefty) medium sized hardback book with USB cable to link to a USB 3.0 port. Definitely designed for a desktop computer or to be used on a desk itself. (Designed to be used vertically?) The power cable has adaptors for both 2 and 3 pin power outlets (It is multi region). Cables fit into the rear of the unit .There are set up instructions on the box - but no quick set up sheet as noted in the downloadable manual. There is also a hole for some form of locking. (Note gleaned from the downloaded main product manual - this is for a Kensington security cable - available separately - see [...]
Full instructions have to be downloaded (pdf) from [...] and the unit may be registered at [...]
I strongly suggest that you DO download these manuals first and read them before using the product - my (review item) was missing the quick set up sheets. It is sensible to print out the relevant pages or have it open on a separate computer if available
Telephone support is available (free for the first 30 days after 1st contact) or free by e mail during the warranty period. Telephone numbers given on the Multilanguage limited warranty guide. The warranty period is 3 years in Europe and the US - other region data on the sheet.
Claims to work with the latest OS-X software ( back to OS-X Leopard , latest is Mountain Lion with a supplemental download of Mavericks) - we will see how it copes with a Mac Air with OS-X Mavericks (downloaded).
Set up - (Not quite as simple as the older "Plug and Play")
1) Backed up to my old WD drive ( which had been formatted by Apple Time machine)
2) Powered up the Mac book and linked the cable to the USB 3.0 port. Followed the instructions in the main (not the quick) manual. Note that you can now select to use the Apple Time Machine totally or use some of the WD software - I aimed to choose the latter for full testing and set an encryption password on the backup ( DO NOT forget the password otherwise the Book for Mac will have to be re formatted / reprogrammed losing all data)
3) The Time machine immediately recognised the Book for Mac and , because I had used a previous back up , offered the option of using one or both machines ( in the latter case they would back up alternately).Chose the single option of the Book for Mac.
4) Backed up the total system (ca 22 GB on the 124 GB SSD) - took ca 30 minutes.
5) From the Options menu in Time machine one can install the optional WD software ( seethe manual for how this is done by drag and drop) and one can set up an encryption password on the data
6) One can leave the Book for Mac attached with incremental auto back up or eject it to connect at a future date. - As I did.
So far so good. - Will report ongoing experiences in due course and also when I come to link in other units separately.
Provisionally 5 star ( although it is still important to download the full manual first from the WD internet website - which irritates me no end but so many electronic devices require it these days that I would be deducting points on all of them )
You can register the unit from within the software but I had done so seperately. The system can be set for automatic updates.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money, 16 Jan 2014
Rolo "rolo211" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
There are basically only three significant hard drive manufacturers in the world: WD (who also own G-Tech and Hitachi), Seagate (which incorporates the Samsung, Maxtor, Quantum, Connor and LaCie brands) and Toshiba (who own Fujitsu). Among other functions, I use my Mac for video editing and I used to buy the (higher priced) G-Tech drives. Recently I have been using the more reasonably priced WD drives and have found absolutely no problems with them (although the cases are not so pretty as G-Tech).

This WD 3TB drives offers good value for money. It is already formatted for Mac, which is a small bonus for Mac users - I say small, because reformatting a PC hard drive to Mac only takes a few minutes with Disk Utility and I have yet to find a hard drive that is not Mac compatible. Nevertheless, many Mac users will appreciate a drive they can use straight out of the box. In addition, it comes with two pieces of software that are Mac-compatible and actually useful: WD Drive Utility that includes S.M.A.R.T diagnostics, a timer to control when your drive sleeps and an erase utility. WD Security enables you to password-protect your drive.

In terms of function I can not fault this drive. I only have USB 2, not USB 3 on this computer so I can not give a good estimation of its speed - which means I'm using as an archive disc, not for video editing (I use Thunderbolt and FireWire drives for video). For that purpose it offers excellent value for money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality and convenience at a reasonable premium, 28 Jan 2014
bomble "bomble" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have owned WD hard drives in the past, internal and external and in both common drive sizes. Of course there's always a chance of a drive failure with any HD and I've had one WD drive fail (the one built into my old iMac G5) and one Seagate drive `dead on arrival' so I have no particular preference amongst the brand-leaders. Ultimately, it's price and interface that count and whether they are formatted for Mac or PC makes little difference as you can always reformat the drive (and partition it into multiple formats if necessary).

So seeing that WD do an identical drive pre-formatted for PC that costs a little less and is available in 4TB option, just what makes this a worthwhile product for a Mac user? In a nutshell, simplicity. Let's not stereotype here (I use mac, pc, linux and solaris machines in my daily life) but Mac owners tend to want things that work `out of the box' and are prepared to pay a little extra for that. Most drives come with some free software these days so if you are wanting to use it for a mac, this is usually no added value to you - especially if you format the drive and erase the software! This WD drive, on the other hand, has some quite nice Mac utilities for backup, drive maintenance and encryption. Things that any determined user could get free (or nearly free) elsewhere... but again, for convenience this is ideal.

I already own a direct competitor for this drive - the Seagate STBV2000200 2TB Expansion USB 3.0 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive - Black (a 3TB version is available at significantly less than this WD drive). The Seagate is more minimal in look, marginally quieter and to all intents and purposes offers the same speed and build quality. Using Apple's own Time Machine and sparse images for encryption purposes, you can achieve all that the Mac-specific WD offers. But time and expertise equate to money and if you like your life simple and reliable, this WD drive offers a lot for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars WD 3TB My Book External Hard Drive for Mac Desktop, 14 Jan 2014
Matt (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It doesn't seem that long ago that 1TB of storage seemed like an insane amount and "I'll never need that much!", let alone 3TB. Well, truth be told, I still don't but I can envisage a time when I will. I have a passion for photography and taking videos (now in HD!) and these two things alone quickly take up space.

The drive is very easy to set up, plug and play. Just plug it in and away you go. It is a USB 3.0 drive which means it is fast although is compatible with USB 2.0 so you don't need to worry about incompatibility.

It is quite chunky but still nice to look at. It is also noisier than I would have hoped but as these things tend to generate quite a bit of heat it's understandable.

The main thing that impresses me is that I've had it for almost a month and it still works. I have had dreadful experiences with WD hard drives in the past to the point that I vowed never to buy one again. However, as this was sent to me to review via the Vine program I decided I'd give it a try.

As long as it keeps going and doesn't lose my data I can't think of a reason not to recommend the drive. It's been a while since I bought any external drive but for the amount of storage you get for this price it really is a good deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3TB of lovely USB 3 storage, 13 Jan 2014
C. Hamer "chrisahamer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I find it incredibly how the price of storage has dropped to rock bottom prices.
120 for 3TB of storage is immense.

I have a huge need for storage as I have over 100,000 images. As such larger drives are allowing me to store larger volumes of images per disk. The USB 3.0 interface is blindingly fast so no complaints there.

The form factor isn't bad too and it has a nice LED indicator light to confirm it is operating. It can be a tad noisy but considering the storage space I am happy to accept a slight hiss.

On the whole I am very impressed by WD. They have once again delivered a stunning product for an affordable price.

It is nice that this comes formatted for Macs but don't forget you can always use this on PCs as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, easy to set up as a backup system for Macs, 13 Jan 2014
roses (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a fairly chunky looking drive but it does it provides plenty of ventilation to avoid overheating. The drive is quiet to run and has a white LED status light on the front which is an improvement on their other WD drives which are usually located around the back.It's designed to sit vertically, with rubber feet along the bottom for grip.

The set up is minimal, you plug it in with the supplied USB 3.0 cable and away you go. The configuration of the drive is primarily optimised for Mac OSX machines which includes Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion and I can confirm that is also works with the latest version Mavericks. The first thing you see when you plug it in, is a message to see if you would like use this drive with time machine, which you can then easily set up via on screen instructions.

There are four selling points of this drive.

Firstly it's USB 3.0 for faster file transfer if your computer supports it, but it works fine with USB 2.0.

Secondly the range of utility and diagnostics software supplied on the drive allows you to conveniently register the drive, set a sleep timer, scan the drive for bad sectors (potential drive failures) and reformat for use on other operating systems like Windows; all via a simple interface. When reformatting the drive using the software you have two options, HFS+J and ExFAT (use for both Macs and Windows). You are also able to password protect your content to secure the drive. The set up using the software is simple and you can also enable auto lock for specific users of your computer. It is important to note that if you ever forget your password, you will permanently lose access to the data. There is no password reset facility. On the plus side software updates are free.

Thirdly the drive works straight out of the box for Mac machines, and already formatted using HFS+J. I've tried plugging this into Windows 7 and my PC won't recognise the drive in the default format. Do note that even though it mentions on the box it is Windows 8 compatible, you will have to reformat this drive.

Finally the last point has much to do with my experience of WD drives. I have owned three other for a number of years and they're still going strong. I find WD drives robust and reliable. This drive also comes with a 3 year limited warranty and 30 days of support.

I've noticed that there is a little hole at the back, marked with a `K' and a padlock symbol. I'm not sure what this is, as it wasn't mentioned in the manual, but may be useful for someone else out there who knows what it is. I really have nothing negative to say and have been pretty happy with the performance, reliability and ease of set up and configuration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Storage, Storage, Storage!!!, 9 Jan 2014
R. Patel "Bush4ever" (Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Yes, we all need more storage in today's world. Store your photo's, movies and backup everything your heart desires in the event of some unfortunate calamity.

This works well with the ATM so backups you can leave and forget about. It seems to be quick, but I guess we are all use to USB 3.0 speeds, would have liked something quicker, but don't we all.
As always you never actually get 3 TB, more like 2.8TB and it has the the WD software and Hardware encryption, not really used this yet as I don't really feel photo's and home movies are really that secretive. But, the last thing I need is to forget or someone problem whereby the hardware encryption locks me out of my own property. Not that it would but I am just a little cautious.

This is also compatible with Windows 8. So, you can pop it on and use it on Windows 8 as well. Also, if you so wished you could use this as a windows drive. But, then you would need to format it completely and then the other features are pretty pointless. So, it is a MAC external drive and the feature set is for MAC.

It seems to be good and WD have been reliable in my opinion in the past. So, only time can tell, but I have other WD drives and drives from other manufacturers and I've not really encountered issues of failures.
Overall, a good drive and a decent price. This storage should keep you ticking for a few years until larger storage or SSD storage will become more affordable. Not, used the WD cloud storage as I have plenty of cloud storage with Skydrive. I only use cloud for certain photo's and documents.

4.0 out of 5 stars I did have a problem with the first hard drive and received excellent service and advice from Western Digital, 25 July 2014
I bought this hard drive to take the pressure off the computer's hard drive and I propose to back up video camera footage currently stored on SD cards. Transferring data from the SD cards to the hard drive is very straight forward and can be uploaded to i-Movie or FCPX as and when required.
I did have a problem with the first hard drive and received excellent service and advice from Western Digital. Having satisfied myself that I had done all I could to rectify the problem I asked for a replacement. This arrived quickly and without any fuss. The new unit is working very well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not easy to use I would like to sen it back, 10 July 2014
Not easy to use I would like to sen it back !

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, cheap, effortless, 1 Jun 2014
William Robertson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I suppose the real test will be whether it is still working in a couple of years' time, but so far first impressions are flawless.

My 2006 iMac's hard drive failed, so to keep it running a little while longer I ordered this external drive, plugged it into the USB socket (USB2 only on my old iMac, but it works perfectly without any manual intervention) reinstalled Snow Leopard and restored my backup. If anything it's faster than the old drive - the speed is only limited by the USB2 standard (on a newer machine it would use USB3 and be ten times faster). I don't really notice any slowness, or any noise for that matter. For less than 100 I'm up and running again with the WD as the main hard drive. When I do get around to replacing the Mac, the WD will become an archive for the Time Capsule backup or an extra disk for a NAS.