5.0 out of 5 stars systems not goals
Cracking read. In face I would go as far as saying the best book I have read on making the most of this short time on this small planet of ours.
Published 11 months ago by DarrenCornish

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing
I read this book over a weekend and enjoyed it to start with but I was a little bored with it by the end.
Basically he's advocating flexibility over means and ends, or systems vs. goals as he puts it. He's mostly sensible here, but the book could be summed up in a couple of points:

1) Favour systems over goals (retain some flexibility over outcomes);...
Published 5 months ago by A. I. Mackenzie

5.0 out of 5 stars systems not goals, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: How to Fail at Almost Everything and Still Win Big: Kind of the Story of My Life (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Could this be the answer you're looking for?, 20 Nov 2013
Self help books inevitably have a leaning towards "I did this and it may work for you too!"
Scott knows this and is at pains to point out throughout the book that this is indeed his blueprint for success. Discovered largely in hindsight!
That said there are some really useful general principles, which anyone can apply to their own experience and skill set.
The book is often amusing and sometimes laugh out loud funny.
Read this with an open mind and pick the bits that work for you. At the same time consider those bits where you find yourself disagreeing with Scott, they may be on your blind side and more useful than you might credit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, thought provoking and helpful, 19 Jan 2014
R. Back (Bath, BANES United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is something that shouldn't work: part autobiography, part self help, and part Inception style thought-planter. Yet work it does, and it is all due to Scott Adams' skill: at writing, understanding of human psychology, and in other areas. In fact, this book works because of all the 'fails' that he describes here, and how they've made him the man he is.

If you read this book and don't find at least 5 good ideas you haven't yet thought of which strike a meaningful chord with you, I'll be very surprised. It'll give you a better understanding of how to make the most of your life, and will give you optimism that you too can make changes in your life that will lead to increased happiness.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly Brilliant, 3 Sep 2014
This book made me laugh out loud, and I loved almost all of it. The diet and fitness bits were totally lost on me, mainly because I'm a health and fitness geek already. I can understand how it ties into energy and ultimately, success, but it felt like I was reading another nutrition and fitness book. Unexpected and a little off-kilter. I skipped those remaining chapters but overall found the book to be ace.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not your normal Self Help Book, 11 July 2014
Although to be fair I wouldn't have bought it if it was. I am a Scott Adams fan and like all the stuff he does. In the book he defines his system for success and how it happened for him in spite of (although he argues pretty successfully because of) those failures. He has come up with a system that may help you succeed and some of it is pretty straightforward like eating right and exercising.

Well worth a few hours of your time, Adams writes humorously as you would expect and I really enjoyed the time spent on the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this book but is the Author as confident?, 5 July 2014
First things first. This is a good book. I purchased it yesterday via Kindle and am enjoying it. I am an avid Dilbert fan and also subscribe to Scott's blog so enjoy his longer writing. However, I have a massive issue. Although I am nowhere near the end of the book, I am sick to death of Scott's endless qualifying of his points. Constant reminders that he's no nutritionist or Personal Trainer or Business Guru. I can't work out if the author has no real confidence in his words, is worried sick about a law suit or is just desperate for filler.

This is a massive shame as people who buy this book are probably huge Adams fans and know he is a cartoonist and not any of the above. I bought the book to hear Scott's take on these matters and don't need constant disclaimers that start to sound like apologies for his thoughts.

The Dilbert work is so clear and confident but the great ideas in this book start to look swamped and less sure. This is true despite a whole Introduction that is little but a disclaimer for the whole book. Surely this was enough?

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good read as well as a sort of inspiring 'this-is-not-a-self-help-book', 25 Jun 2014
This is a good read as well as a sort of inspiring 'this-is-not-a-self-help-book'. Systems not goals is the recurring theme and it's an idea worth thinking about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most entertaining and thought provoking, 11 Jun 2014
I. P. SMALLWOOD "callcopse" (Southampton) - See all my reviews
This has made me consider how I go about my life. I'm definitely not as driven as the author, but he gives the kind of perspective that should help anyone in some way. It's never boring either.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing, 19 May 2014
A. I. Mackenzie "alimack" (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

1) Favour systems over goals (retain some flexibility over outcomes);
2) Treat yourself as a system, check inputs versus outputs (eat right and sleep right);.

It seems a bit underwhelming when you distil it like that, and a bit depressing - not that any of these are necessarily wrong.
I'm just not convinced they automatically lead to success.

Also the book is mildly amusing at points but don't buy it thinking it's a Dilbert/ comedy book.

5.0 out of 5 stars entertaining read, 27 April 2014
There is a lot of useful information available in this book.
I am sure most people will be able to relate their own experiences to those of Scott.