Format: DVD|Change

on 4 November 2013
A big problem with DVDs - in fact, with television in general - is that it is very difficult to capture the atmosphere of an occasion. Oh yes, you can point a camera at a performer and they can sing to perfection but you rarely get the same 'feel' that the attending audience experiences. Now, as one who was more than a little disappointed at not being able to attend this concert in August due to the short notice of the publicity, I was hoping that this would be something special capturing the spirit of the occasion and not failing as so many 'live' videos do.

I need not have worried. This DVD is nothing short of brilliant, not only capturing the atmosphere but even enhancing it with superb camera shots, lighting, editing and sound mixing. Tight close ups and spectacular crane shots make this DVD something very special. I already have Libera's DVD of their Holland concert and, excellent though that is, this Christmas offering makes it look like a home video. Yes, I know it was shot in the middle of Summer but when you watch it, it is suddenly Christmas. The boys' performance is, of course, as faultless as ever. Having been to many of their shows, it never fails to amaze me how professional these young performers are and how much work must be put in to achieve and maintain that standard. Robert Prizeman is, apart from being the nicest man I have ever met, a genius. How he manages to handle that many boys and optimize their talents is quite beyond belief.

But let's get back to this amazing DVD. Buy this and you'll hear lots of Christmas songs, some that you know and a few that you don't and the most moving version of 'Danny Boy' you are ever likely to hear sung completely unaccompanied and is alone worth the price of this DVD.

So, a superb DVD and a must for all Libera fans and, indeed, anyone who appreciates high quality young talent. But a word of warning. This DVD was shot in NTSC format, presumably to accommodate our transatlantic friends. This is not a problem if you have a reasonably modern PAL DVD player but, if it is a few years old, it might be a good idea to check that it is NTSC compatible. If it isn't, buy a new machine...it will be worth it to see this incredible video!
on 3 November 2013
Although always a firm admirer of Libera and their music, I have sometimes thought in the past that their CD's have been produced with quite a heavy influence of synthesized instrumental support. Whilst in no way detracting from the vocals, I have often found myself wishing we had the opportunity of listening to their pure and unplugged vocals complemented by a small live orchestra much like their recent concerts. Then just in time for Christmas comes the CD/DVD combo we've been waiting for since their debut DVD in 2007.
This authentically staged production features superb arrangements of some classic Christmas carols/hymns. The combination of Libera's excellent choral sound and the Celtic instrumentals inc strings, flute, drum etc.. really do make you feel like you were part of the lucky audience who got to see them on that August evening at St Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh.
All the Libera boys are talented goes without saying, and I don't like to single out any particular favourite, but sometimes there is a performance that really does take your breath away for it's outstanding execution. Isaac London (10yrs), "Danny Boy"...... just go and listen to it... A cappella heaven.
on 18 December 2013
Once again LIBERA has created a masterpiece of seasonal music - this time with an Irish twist!
This recording of new arrangements by Robert Prizeman is truly magnificent and is undoubtedly the best Christmas music I have heard in a very long time. It is even better than their previous Christmas album of 2011 and was recorded in the most beautiful catholic cathedral of St Patrick's, in Armagh.
The ambience and acoustics of this place really does lift the Libera Sound to a whole new level. This concert has raised the bar considerably for the boys of Libera and, as always, they have risen to the challenge. I expect this DVD and the attendant CD to be the sound of Christmas for many years to come in households worldwide.
on 12 November 2013
I was at the concert-recording in Armagh in N.Ireland. It was a beautiful concert as it was. But seeing the dvd recording on my computer is mind blowing. When you sit in the cathedral you have your attention on the choir. With the 5 or 6 cameras used so much more is to be seen. I am so glad I have a good monitor with my computer. I cannot watch the dvd and not get tears in my eyes, it is so beautiful.
on 31 December 2013
I was really looking forward to listen and watch these young boys sing there Christmas album on my TV via a dvd player which has surround sound, alas this was not to be. I first tried out on my laptop (A Sony Vaio) and it worked fine. So I thought it would be a good idea to play it in the bedroom on the tv via a dvd player (Toshiba RD-XS24). A notice appeared on the TV saying 'This dvd disc is not compatible, Check your PAL settings'.

Ok so I thought I would try the disc in the living room which has a different DVD player (Samsung) on this I now get the warning about copyright, then moves on to the Warner Classics logo and then it just stays there with the word MENU on the DVD player!

The disk states it is a All Region disk, so that tells me it should play without fault or so I assumed. Now what I would like to know is it fault with the disk, or are my DVD players at fault?

From what I have seen through an inferior screen (the laptop) the songs are beautiful and this group of boys have the harmonies in all the right places, having seen them perform in London just recently I was so looking forward to watching them.

If anyone out there can explain what it is I am doing wrong I would be so grateful.
on 13 January 2014
What a really special Christmas DVD this is!

Really ticks all the Christmas music boxes. So beautifully put together by the TV crew and all the team who had to put so much into this lavish production - both sound and pictures.

Fantastic!!!

When will we see another of this kind from such a great choir?

Thanks Libera!!!!

Richard
on 24 November 2013
What can you say about the greatest choir in the world, have waited for this Dvd for a long time, since the Amsterdam tour many years ago this is the first to be released, I only hope that the youngsters coming into the choir are as good as those that gave them such prestige, I saw them live at Arundel Cathedrel, amazing
on 4 February 2015
I have acquired last the DVD of the group LIBERA (released) " Christmas in Ireland " . Once again , I am dazzeled by the vocal quality of the children and the musical accompaniment . It is a real treat and one has the feeling to see little angels of the sky . An originality of RELEASED ( LIBERA ) , it is that with each musical piece, the children move and take a different configuration of the vocal ensemble . To my knowledge it is only chorus of children in the world to do that . A mention very particular to their chorus Robert Prizeman , to have to take along the children to such a vocal perfection . Never the voices are forced and they form a perfectly fluid unit . D more , they have all, especially the young people one pretty little face, which does not oïl anything . In short all is perfect . Unconditional of REASED ( LIBERA ) since several years . With when a concert in France . LUDO
on 2 January 2014
It was interesting to find out the recording was filmed in the summer. The additional features give a perspective of how the boys enjoy what they do. The music is, as one would expect from Libera, outstanding.
on 2 December 2013
A wonderful and refreshing renditions of popular Christmas Carols. All songs are done with an Irish lilt. The stand out with this album is Isaac London"s solo opening to Danny Boy, which was handled very well, and good touch of emotion. Wexford Carol was hauntingly beautiful. The full choir version of Carol of the Bells, was stirring, with interesting staging, with some choir members with there backs to the audience, normally a no no, works well. Play this in a shopping centre, instead of the typical can't sing pop singers version, you'll have everyone relaxed. Well worth the money.