Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 3 January 2014
I was intregued as to how a novel based around a single day in a London office could be achieved, but Matt Dunn achieved it with merit! I was drawn in very quickly and read it over a couple of sittings. It was well written, easy to read, the characters were good, the story was good and I laughed loudly on many occassions - what more can I say? I would also suggest trying I'm Dreaming of a Wilde Summer (A laugh-out-loud romantic comedy) and Eternally North for the same reasons.
on 25 March 2015
Nice is not a particularly exciting word but it's a positive one. It was a nice read, a nice story, nice to read a rom com book that features the story from the man's point of view as well as the women, it's a bit cheesy, it has a nice ending! It wasn't one I couldn't put down but I wanted to finish it. 3/5
on 9 July 2013
For me, the book was predictable especially with the character Calum and his mystery date. A clear effort was made to give the five main characters realism and depth, however this sometimes made me skim the text, especially if this went into some length. The book itself was humorous, light hearted and an easy read. I read it within 3 days, so I would recommend it as a light read.
on 25 May 2014
I'm a rubbish reader. I don't mean I read rubbish or I can't read, just that it takes me ages to get into a book and then once i put it down, ages to pick it up again.

However, i bought this one as a "people also read..." recommendation through amazon for holiday. I started it a little after breakfast and had finished before evening meal. And still managed to stop the kids from falling into the swimming poll and keeping the wife topped up with drink during the day!

It's a excellent read - nothing silly or that wouldn't happen, all of the characters are likeable and seem like someone you would probably know and it's laced with suspense, humour and truth throughout.

All in all, a very good read and I'm ready to download the next of Matt's novels! Any suggestions which to try next?
on 21 April 2016
This isn't the first Matt Dunn book I've read, but I wish it was. The last book I read of his, I gave 3 stars. This one deserved every 5 star it got.

The book itself takes place over one day - which is amazing in itself. I wish I could make my book so exciting that one day is enough to write about. If only! What struck me was the fact that although the book follows several characters journeys throughout the day, each one was individual and unique. I loved each of their story lines equally (okay, I was silently rooting for Calum a little bit more).

If someone was to ask me to describe what happens in the book, my explanation just wouldn't do it justice. I suppose when you really think about it, nothing particularly exciting happens. A bunch of people in an office go about their business on Valentine's day, some of them have dates, some don't. What's important about this book is the journey you take with each character. It was just effortless, learning about who they are as people, how they interact...and how they embarrass themselves.

The comedy element of the book was just right, not too overboard, but subtly funny. The type of funny where you internally cringe for their social faux-pas and smile at the image in your head.

Overall, the book was just too easy to read. If I didn't have to go to work, I would have easily finished it in 2 days. It's definitely made me want to check out his other books, because this one was perfect.
on 3 May 2013
I bought a new Kindle and this was the first book I downloaded (primarily as I was having a day off from my office and it seemed fitting).

The book covered one single day at a normal office in London. The day happens to be Valentines day. The author takes you through the various emotional machinations that are familiar to anyone who works with other people in an office environment - and does so with skill and a freshness that is lacking in many other books in the genre. You come to connect with the characters so much that I found myself actually shouting at the pages on several occasions!

The Author manages to avoid the easy plot twists and goes for something a bit more intelligent that you might expect. The writing is fast-paces, insightful and witty. The 'doctor and basque' scene is honestly laugh out loud funny. I stopped reading to tell my wife about what had just happened!

I can recommend this book as something that will delight on a lazy evening.
on 29 March 2014
It's Valentine's Day and the members of the company Seek Software are gearing up for a day full of chills, thrills and spills.
Julie likes Mark, Mark likes Julie but Julie has a secret and Mark is scared of Julie's rejection, will they ever get together by the end of the day?
Sophie likes Nathan. Nathan doesn't like any body or Valentines Day and organizes the Anti-Valentines Bowling Night for that evening. But that doesn't stop Sophie, she is a girl with a plan, but will everything go as smoothly as she hopes?
Calum thinks that nobody likes him but he's got a date with a mystery girl called Emma. A girl he met online but he doesn't know what she looks like and he's meeting her for the first time on Valentine's Day! Will Emma even turn up for his date and if she does will she be upset that he lied about a few things from his online profile?
A lovely short rom-com. Matt Dunn is able to tell one story from five different perspectives on this particular day.
on 31 December 2013
Picked this up this morning and couldn't put the kindle down! Nice, light hearted easy read with a happy ending.
on 29 July 2013
It's amazing any work gets done at the head office of Seek Software. Everyone there is lovelorn - mooning over the ex that got away, fantasising about the guy from IT, hatching ever more elaborate plots to snag the object of their affection. So, pretty much like any other office full of twentysomethings then...

The course of true love twists and turns over the space of one day in this neat, tightly plotted romcom, and the comic timing's so great you forgive the occasional groan-worthy pun. Unlike lots of romances it's not written by numbers - there are true surprises and genuine characters. The real revelation for me was just how much men agonise over the object of their affections - I really, really hope that when women aren't around they're every bit as daft, soppy and romantic in real life as they are in the pages of this book!
on 25 October 2013
The story is about a group of office workers on valentine's day, and their interests in each other. It's probably meant to be a comedy of errors. There are a few funny lines in this book, but they are padded out with pages and pages of the dull, irritating, tedious thoughts of the characters. And you couldn't call it introspection, philosophy, or anything but drivel. Three quarters of the book are taken up with each self-absorbed character over-analysing every word, action and text message of the others. I rarely leave a book unfinished, so I found myself flicking over a few pages at a time - once a character starts their latest analysis you can skip about four pages before anything else happens. Unbelievable that the characters are meant to be adults, not 14 year olds. It was impossible to empathise with any of them.