Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.49

on 3 January 2014
I was intregued as to how a novel based around a single day in a London office could be achieved, but Matt Dunn achieved it with merit! I was drawn in very quickly and read it over a couple of sittings. It was well written, easy to read, the characters were good, the story was good and I laughed loudly on many occassions - what more can I say? I would also suggest trying I'm Dreaming of a Wilde Summer (A laugh-out-loud romantic comedy) and Eternally North for the same reasons.
on 3 May 2013
I bought a new Kindle and this was the first book I downloaded (primarily as I was having a day off from my office and it seemed fitting).

The book covered one single day at a normal office in London. The day happens to be Valentines day. The author takes you through the various emotional machinations that are familiar to anyone who works with other people in an office environment - and does so with skill and a freshness that is lacking in many other books in the genre. You come to connect with the characters so much that I found myself actually shouting at the pages on several occasions!

The Author manages to avoid the easy plot twists and goes for something a bit more intelligent that you might expect. The writing is fast-paces, insightful and witty. The 'doctor and basque' scene is honestly laugh out loud funny. I stopped reading to tell my wife about what had just happened!

I can recommend this book as something that will delight on a lazy evening.
on 27 March 2014
Really enjoyed this book. I bought it partly out of curiosity to see how a man would handle writing a Rom-Com. The answer - rather well actually. While I admit in real life I think Valentine's day is for fourteen year olds and would be the first to sign up for Nathan's Anti Valentine party, when it comes to fiction I set aside my resistance to the idea that everyone has to be romantic on a pre-ordained day & just go with the flow.
The story is told from multiple points of view by the five principle characters, all of them likeable and sympathetic.I particularly liked Nathan and Mark. It made a nice change to have the men presented as sensitive human beings with the same anxieties & vulnerabilities as the women rather than merely the one dimensional, emotionally illiterate idiots they are too often portrayed as in romantic fiction.
This novel is very much a comedy of errors and it was fun to watch the intrigues and misunderstandings mount up even if occasionally I had to stop and try to work out what they all thought they knew about each other at certain moments. I think this was partly due to the multiple points of view & wasn't really a big issue.
As I said earlier all the characters are sympathetic and very relatable & I really wanted them all to get what they wanted or needed. Since this is a Rom Com it's hardly a spoiler to say that everything ends in a very satisfying way even if not quite the way you expect at the start.
An added bonus was the Soho setting. I loved it and it made me long for London - even for the nasty overcrowded tube.
This was the first Matt Dunn book I read but it definitely won't be the last.
Very enjoyable.
on 19 February 2016
I bought this just for easy reading and it was an easy read. The characters were believable and likeable and although some things were predictable not everything was.
Well written entertaining. I have suggested it to a couple of friends to read.
I generally read horror novels Dean Koontz being my preferred author but I wanted something completely different which this obviously is.
Excellent thoroughly enjoyed it and read it in 2 days as I didn't want to put it down.
Will definitely keep a loom out for other titles by this author.
on 1 April 2016
When I started reading this a I thought it was going to be just ghastly but I gradually got drawn in. The story is banal romance, the characters wilfully obtuse and the jokes practically out of Christmas crackers but somehow it really works. As I followed these unfortunates through Valentines Day I started to mind about their hurts and really wanted them to end up happy. Whether or not they did you'd have to find out for yourself. The lesson I learned from the book - if you have something to say, just say it and damn the consequences!
on 19 March 2016
After a few pages I thought the author's circle had a big cross under it - but apparently not.
This tale is a treat for chick-lit lovers - it is chick-lit squared!

For others, the could I/couldn't I, should I/shouldn't I, would/I wouldn't I, might I/mightn't I, do I/don't I, can I/can't I, shall I/shan't I, will I/won't I accompanying any action will drive you spare.
But at least there is no fellatio or cunnilingus as in others of this genre.
on 1 March 2016
Wasn't expecting something like this from a guy. Loved it - so much so, that I couldn't put it down till I'd got to the very end. Real life stories of things that happen to real people. Not as much 'heat' as in female writers, but I hate the pages of finely detailed snogging and sex anyway. Liked it so much, I'm now looking to see what else he's written
on 21 April 2016
This isn't the first Matt Dunn book I've read, but I wish it was. The last book I read of his, I gave 3 stars. This one deserved every 5 star it got.

The book itself takes place over one day - which is amazing in itself. I wish I could make my book so exciting that one day is enough to write about. If only! What struck me was the fact that although the book follows several characters journeys throughout the day, each one was individual and unique. I loved each of their story lines equally (okay, I was silently rooting for Calum a little bit more).

If someone was to ask me to describe what happens in the book, my explanation just wouldn't do it justice. I suppose when you really think about it, nothing particularly exciting happens. A bunch of people in an office go about their business on Valentine's day, some of them have dates, some don't. What's important about this book is the journey you take with each character. It was just effortless, learning about who they are as people, how they interact...and how they embarrass themselves.

The comedy element of the book was just right, not too overboard, but subtly funny. The type of funny where you internally cringe for their social faux-pas and smile at the image in your head.

Overall, the book was just too easy to read. If I didn't have to go to work, I would have easily finished it in 2 days. It's definitely made me want to check out his other books, because this one was perfect.
on 30 April 2016
I bought this book as I wanted an easy to read book that I could read on holiday and before I went to bed. I must say this book was really good! A laugh out loud book talking about our troubles in love especially with those in the same workplace!

If you want a book that you can read easily and leave you with a smile on your face then this is for you.
on 18 June 2016
Sounds like quite a few work places I have been in in my lifetime with all sorts of hidden agendas going on. While not riveted to the book I kept coming back to find out what happened next. It's a light hearted easy to read tale.