5.0 out of 5 stars Uber Dissonance
The Velvet Underground were perhaps the ultimate yin/yang band: with an incredible lyricist who was selfless about who actually sang them, capable of self-surrender ("Jesus") and total egotism (Lou Reed turning down the rest of the band in "I Heard Her Call My Name" - thankfully improved on the remaster), with a musical character capable of howling feedback and sweet...
Published on 30 Oct 2007 by Mike Cormack

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much of the same
Let's get the obvious comments out of the way first. Unless you live on the Moon you already know the groundbreaking importance of the Velvets and how this album is their most extreme statement that invented the seventies. It's also safe to say that if you shelled out the extra cash for this you (like me) are already a fan and already own the original (along with all...
Published 9 months ago by jason johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Light Hate/Late Wheat, 3 May 2014
I bought this in the mistaken belief (or should I say due to an untruth told me by an erstwhile friend) that it contained, as an extra track, a live duet by Lou Reed and David Jason, recorded at Finsbury Park Working Men's Club in 1992, entitled 'Perfick Day'. I was lucky enough to have attended said 'gig', and indeed had said track on cassette. However, said cassette containing said track was 'borrowed' by said erstwhile friend with the understanding that I would soon own it on a shiny new CD, and i haven't seen the slimy swine since!

5.0 out of 5 stars white light/white heat, 27 April 2014
love this, if you love velvet underground buy this cd, i have this on vinyl but would rather use cd

5.0 out of 5 stars a true alternative effort, 7 Feb 2014
I've been a keen velvet underground admirer most recently and I love the song 'here she comes now' and sound recording is raw and infectious. I've got their debut and I prefer the albums on vinyl because it is special.

5.0 out of 5 stars The ultimate edition of this classic album, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: White Light / White Heat (Audio CD)
At this price I would say from other comments that the two two cd deluxe package is the one to get. I have not gone for the bigger box version as the price is excessive for just a hard copy edition of the book and the mono version cd, which from what I understand, it is hard to hear any real difference with the stereo version. This classic needs the stereo separation for gems like 'The Gift' and 'Lady Godiva's operation'.

The paper booklet included is still very good. My only criticism is its so tightly packed I nearly ripped the inside sleeve trying to get it out of the middle panel. I hate this particular 'innovation' in packaging which is now often used where there are three cds/ DVD combinations. I will be getting a large format cd polythene cover to house the whole package within and will just place the booklet loose in the middle of the open up cd as I will not be trying to force it back into the cover.

The second live CD is also well worth the admission price as are the extras on the first Cd most of which have been available before, but not in this superior mixed format.

If already a fan you really need this version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the greatest album of all time?, 21 Mar 2003
Paracelsus1966 (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
I love this album. The Velvets take no prisoners on this one. Shorn of the influence of Warhol, they go to extremes and create an album that's not simply loud, it's terrorism. Punk has nothing on this. This is utter brilliance. PLAY LOUD!

5.0 out of 5 stars Warmed to it and now I'm scolded., 30 Jan 2014
Took me about six listens to fully digest and love this album. White light/White Heat, Here She Comes Now and The Gift were the easiest to absorb and enjoy, soon followed by Lady Godiva's Op and the brilliant enduring number, Sister Ray. I Heard Her Call My Name take a while to 'bed in', and is best described as "organised chaos" as I think someone noted somewhere. But the album is like nothing I have ever heard before. It oozes originality. And sarcasm, as a reviewer noted on here, somewhere.

Wha A Gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Album Of All Time, 12 Jan 2001
By A Customer
Great Growling punk meets the Beatles, put through a mincer and wound up to 11. Great even now... it beats the pants of ANY competition with its frazzled nihilistic guitar lines and burnt out observations of life. 'Sister Ray' is a life changing 17 minute masterpiece.
Not bad for a junkie and a Welsh classicaly-trained pianist/viola player.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing!!!, 24 Sep 2005
M. D'agostino (A Comfortable Chair) - See all my reviews
well, at first i couldnt stand it, then i gave it a chance and now i love it! its an album thatll probly make little children go crazy - its quite lyrically disturbing, but funny. 'The Gift' is a narrative to music, and its funny yet chilling. It has to be heard to be understood so go on and buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fantastic Mess!, 4 Oct 2012
Distortion, perverse lyrics, off-key singing, speaking over an improvised jam and a near twenty minute song mostly about sucking on a 'ding dong,' is hardly the sort of stuff that would appeal to a commercial music listener, or even someone interested in The Velvet Underground. It might be better to start with the Banana album, which is more accessible than this.

Having said that, I have grown to love this album mostly because of the shear audacity that it is infused with. This album captures the essence of Punk music, long before it began. It sounds like a mess and I think the band knew this, but the fact was that they really didn't care, because this record is about creating an atmosphere and if you can tap into that, I can assure you that you will love this record.

When I first heard the opening track, I was shocked and thought I was going to hate it, but now I think that even with it's low-fi distortion, it is wonderful. It is also one of the easiest listens of the album. From what I've read about The Gift, it seems more popular with people who aren't into the velvets than those who are. Regardless, I love it, especially as it is Cale who does the reading and what a job he does! I am always enthralled by this track from start to finish and the end of it always brings a twisted smile to my face. Lady Godiva's Operation also contains Cale's vocals, especially because they are quite soft and work well with Reed's harder vocals, which also feature on this track, shouting over Cale and creating an unsettling air to an unsettling track.

Here She Comes Now is light White Light/White Heat, as it is an easy listen, probably the easiest on the album and works as a nice bridge between Operation and I Heard Her Call My Name, where the distortion returns, along with Reed's vocals. This is a gritty rock and roll track and it only gets bettwe with the epic, Sister Ray. It goes on for a long time and I'll admit that I don't listen to it often, but when I do it's an invigorating listen, for there isn't a moment where this track turns into a dirge and I never check to see how long it has before it's over.

Overall, I wouldn't dismiss this album if you've only given it a single listen. It shows the Velvets at their peak before Cale left and they eventually wound up with god awful Doug Yule and like I said, has a great Punk attitude that once more proves that this band was well before its time.

4.0 out of 5 stars White light, strange heat, 25 Mar 2007
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: White Light.. (Audio CD)
Distortion. Either you love it or you hate it, and that will determine whether you love or hate the Velvet Underground's "White Light/White Heat," which was the final album with John Cale on it. It's strange, raw and eerie, and except for the too-long finale, a fairly good collection.

It kicks off with distorted pop song "White Light/White Heat," and gets followed by equally distorted series of offbeat songs, such as the sex-change operation ballad "Lady Godiva's Operation," the relatively ethereal "Here She Comes Now," and the twisted, squealing riffs of "I Heard Her Call My Name."

"The Gift" is perhaps the most offbeat of all the tracks here: A spoken story-song, recited matter-of-factly in John Cale's Welsh accent. It's about a jealous husband who, in doubt about his wife's fidelity, mails himself to her house. Sounds ordinary enough, except that there is a twist to the finale, both funny and macabre.

This is one of the darker albums that the Velvet Underground did, as well as the last one that was so experimental. The finale is almost twenty minutes of screeching, explosive guitar riffs, and the story-song is definitely odd. But once you get into the swing of it, it's remarkably moving.

The fuzz and wildness of "White Light/White Heat" is definitely offputting at first -- the melodies are buried under a perpetual buzz of sound. That lo-fi flavor won't be to everyone's taste, but those who like their music rough, raw and ragged will probably like the murky riffs and muffled drumming, rising out of a thick mass of fuzz.

For those who don'ty like distortion, it might be a comfort to just focus on the offbeat lyrics -- they can be vulgar, nasty, enchanting, or they can be brimful of black comedy. At least, they are never boring. In his VU swansong, Cale gets to recite and sing, and his rich vocals prove to be somewhat more compelling than Lou Reed's.

While perhaps the weakest, rawest and least accessible of the Velvet Underground's albums, "White Light/White Heat" has the distinction of Cale's vocals and some wickedly weird writing.

White Light / White Heat
White Light / White Heat by Velvet Underground (Audio CD - 2013)