4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, entertaining and enlightening
Published 8 months ago by Ranting Soberly

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious
The book seeks to explain some of the interesting nuances of our thought process and how we often delude and trick ourselves.

The ideas aren't rubbish, McCraney is just a crap writer. Long winded, repetitive and tedious explanations make me feel robbed; robbed of the time that could have been spent reading something enjoyable.
Published 5 months ago by Michael Fair

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, entertaining and enlightening, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: You Can Beat Your Brain: 1 (Kindle Edition)
I bought this book on the strength of McRaney's last book, You Are Not So Smart, which I also highly recommend. It's an enjoyable exposition exposition of the psychological literature, which otherwise would be quite dry; he does an excellent job at drawing the various threads together and weaving them into a high-readable narrative. I only have one bone to pick: in the chapter on ego depletion, which relies heavily on research by Roy Baumeister, he says "no matter what the self-help books say, the research suggests that willpower isn't a skill", whereas in Baumeister's book Willpower, he says that you can actually get better at self-control through practice. Other than that though, I found it enlightening - and who knows, maybe it will help me beat my brain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good pop psychology, 31 Dec 2013
G. Brown "Kang" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought this on the strength of his previous book, You Are Not So Smart. This book follows a similar chapter structure and there some bits which feel like repeats. But the content is very good. It's less of a self-help book and more of a good introduction to psychology, written for the popular audience. You learn about the different ways in which your brain is fooled so that you can combat your own psychology and the style is engaging and flowing. Would recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Briliant. Explains human behaviour resulting from the way human brain is wired in layman's terms., 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: You Can Beat Your Brain: 1 (Kindle Edition)
The author has explained certain behavioural concepts arising in relation to the way our brain is wired and how we are still able to change these externally to some extent. It is provides an in depth analysis of behaviour in layman's terms. Brilliant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 Jan 2014
A thought-provoking read which made me make lots of notes. It made me laugh a lot as well, at human follies...

5.0 out of 5 stars A good follow-up, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: You Can Beat Your Brain: 1 (Kindle Edition)
This follow-up to 'you are not so smart', continues to chronicle how we delude ourselves that some of the decisions we make are our own, and how our brains lie to us in order to give a sense of continuity in the world.
Titled 'you are now less dumb' for the American market the author has made some subtle changes to make it much more appropriate to the United Kingdom, supermarkets changing from Walmart to Asda for example.
Want to learn how to turn your enemies into your friends? Then this book is for you

4.0 out of 5 stars An adventure inside your brain, 27 Dec 2013
Stephen Green (Uttoxeter, Staffs. UK) - See all my reviews
This is a best-selling book that has been prominent in book stores and will no doubt introduce new readers into some quirky new findings about the way our brain works. For certain some of the studies bring up surprising and often counter-intuitive results. The research methods are of course devised with control groups to route out the false conclusions that we casually arrive at in everyday life for supporting our own biases, prejudices, stereotypes, choices and decisions. It is right therefore that such books should make us check our data more carefully.
One area I really enjoyed was about how to inject excitement into relationships. Such an important piece of knowledge which perhaps goes some way to explaining why good but unexciting people are left mystified by nasty but wilder people seem to enjoy more success in relationships than them.
The book is a witty easy read that is likely to be enjoyed by fans of 59 Seconds: Think a little, change a lot, Superfreakonomics: Global Cooling, Patriotic Prostitutes and Why Suicide Bombers Should Buy Life Insurance, The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference and suchlike.
However, the cover makes a lot of bold claims that might mislead the reader into thinking that the book offers a more transformative experience than it actually delivers , so please be aware of its limitations.

5.0 out of 5 stars great work, 15 July 2014
Great work.

Very useful collection of simple communication techniques that can radically change the nature of human relationships.

The author did a very good job at researching this stuff, well done.

Highly recommend it for anyone working in a business or political environment.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I've ever read, 10 Jun 2014
I began this book chuckling about the silliness of other people's brains, got a bit uncomfortable when I realised he was talking about me! Real insights that have absolutely changed the way I think.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmissible, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: You Can Beat Your Brain: 1 (Kindle Edition)
It is very clever for people who like reading and into this subject. I am still reading it so far it is good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beat the last, 16 April 2014
c "Conrad" (london, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
When I first read this book, I thought that it wasn't as good as the first. It felt a little dryer, and not as funny. But after going back to it, it is actually better than the first, and is quite deep. It really makes quite complex ideas palatable. I preferred it to 'Thinking fast and slow' and Incognito (Eagleman) .

You Can Beat Your Brain: 1