on 2 November 2015
I liked this book. Frank Tayall side stepped the usual breakdown of society during the zombie apocalypse. Like Day Of The Tryffids, the protagonist is in hospital during the break down period. This works well and a lot of the break down is in the form of flash backs and piecing together of news items. The book is less violent than other books for the sort and the main character is likable rather than a natural born survivor. Overall, if you like these types of books you will do well to read this. It took me about 3 days to get through and couldn't put the book down.
on 27 January 2016
Not your typical zombie book but well worth a read. The story is written in the form of a dairy, I didn't think i'd like this but it's well written and helps to remind you that this guy could be real. This book is about a guy named Bill who breaks his leg just as zombies start to appear in London, because of his injury he is trapped in his apartment having to watch the world below slowly die. Being in diary form you get a lot about his thoughts and feelings throughout the day and it's really a story about how this poor guy, alone and trapped, gets out of this mess.
on 27 July 2014
This book and 2 and 3 well worth reading all are in England which makes a change from being in u s a. Bit more story to them as they have to survive with out guns .
on 4 May 2016
Freaking brilliant once you start you can't stop offers everything you could imagine in a Z world and there's a few people you'd love to throw too the zombies lol
on 2 April 2016
Not a bad book. I liked how it started and the character, though writing in journal form, seemed a bit of an unpleasant person but was engaging enough that could be forgiven. While the basic premise of being left behind because he had a broken leg was interesting, it became less so when you have to picture him leaving his home and tottering around the streets of London which seemed to be full of zombies. Hard for the fully able bodied to do and impossible for those not at full mobility. Was okay, but by the end I had no real desire to buy the next.
on 31 January 2015
Fantastic book and a refreshing angle to the genre. I've read a heap of zombie books and have become tired with the way the books normally develop into how horrific humanity is with murder and rape.
This book is from one man's point of view. He is pompous, a bit of an oddball and injured before the story gets going...I didn't think he'd last until the end of the first "chapter", but he really changes from this stuffy man, to a wonderful human being and a hero in his own right...and all with a broken leg. I can't wait to get fired into book 2.
on 2 February 2016
I think there are probably enough reviews already here that describe the plot of the book, but in short it's a zombie survival tale - brilliantly told - set in the UK. The main character is a great change to the usual types found in books of this genre, as he's got absolutely no survival skills whatsoever. This makes for a very relatable and blundering zombie apocalypse survival story!

If you like this sort of fiction, unreservedly recommended. Almost on a par with World War Z (the book), something which I thought I'd never find.
on 6 March 2016
As with any Zombie genre book it's a toss of a coin whether it will be good, bad or really bad, usually it's the latter with the characters in the book generally macho AH's that you can't empathise with. Not so this novel, it wasn't gung ho nonsense and the character (as really that's all, as you see the plot through his eyes (no flecks lol) is well rounded and you want him to succeed. Read the book in a day and that generally means it kept my attention/interest till the end. Will download the next to find out how it all ends
on 6 December 2013
I'm a big fan of 'end of the world' type books and have read a few but this one was exceptionally good. Couldn't put it down. Thoroughly recommend it.
on 14 November 2015
I particularly enjoy Zombie and other apocalypse novels, enthusiastically awaiting the Passage Book 3 and enjoying The Undead World Series. I thought I would give this ago having read some of the other reviews however I didn't finish the book having lost interest. For me this was just a little slow, a guy with a broken leg looking out his window and contemplating food etc for a number of pages was a bit slow. I thought of pushing through and continuing the series but I'm enjoying the Undead World books and am back to those.