5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic resource
Published 10 months ago by Rob

My first purchase of a LP since BBC sold the franchise. I always travel with a lonely planet - great format, easy to navigate, cant fault them usually - until this one.. on my third trip to India I thought I would update my guidebook as its been 6 years since my last trip and wanted an up-to-date guidebook but I really shouldn't have bothered!

I travelled...
Published 1 month ago by E. Coomber

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic resource, 17 Nov 2013
Published October 2013, though some errors already, such as train booking can only be done 60 days in advance. Take the advice on follwing [...] advice for booking trains, IRCTC is some tricky business! Also, tariffs for hotels are a bit underestimated, though I am travelling solo at high season. Other than that, fantastic resource. A must if travelling to and around India!

4.0 out of 5 stars informative, but heavy!, 25 Feb 2014
Its a great book if your planning on visiting india, its crammed with information, its well presented and covers everything you'll need to know, but be aware its quite heavy for carrying around with you daily while your there, we'll be buying smaller guide books to keep with us, but this book is great for browsing through where you want to visit and yas some great tips and advice

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic resource for a trip to India, 29 July 2014
Mr. P. Datta "Pritthijit" (Stockton on Tees, Teesside) - See all my reviews
A fantastic travel guide of India, a country filled with rich history, diverse culture and beautiful scenery. A trip to India is an experience to treasure for a lifetime. This guide is an excellent reference for a trip to India. It contains comprehensive information about the country and key matters whilst visiting India. It is clearly pointed out. There are so many places to visit in this vast and majestic country. Pictures are included to compliment the concise text. An easy guide to navigate. The guide is written by experienced travellers, who have excellent knowledge of the country. Well written, informative and concise. A perfect travel companion for a visit to India. There are few places I want to visit in India.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing - not up-to-date just a new photo on the same infomration, 4 Aug 2014
E. Coomber (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews

I travelled through a number of states and cities and the only thing that could be relied on was the maps! whilst the location and names of sights hasn't changed, LP have also not updated transport, hotel prices, restaurants (some closed years ago but are still in the guide book!!), cost to enter sights as well as restrictions being wrong on whether you can / cannot take cameras, bags, etc.

Overall after having a lonely planet as my travel bible for over a decade (using them in Europe, Africa, Asia, Oz, the middle east, etc. I am HUGELY disappointed in the lack of information and lack of thought that has gone into this latest edition and I do hoe its not a sign of thins to come since the sale of the LP franchise.

If you just want info on maps and sights to visit I would recommend save some pennies and buy the previous edition and use trip advisor or similar to find food and places to stay - everywhere in India has free wifi these days even the middle of the Rajasthan desert!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great advice, 3 Dec 2013
Chose this to travel for 5 weeks in India. Excellent reliable information which we used and found helpful. It's a must if you are touring.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lesson learned - buy travel books in print and not necessarily this one!, 17 Aug 2014
This review is from: Lonely Planet India (Travel Guide) (Kindle Edition)
My star rating mostly reflects my frustration with the Kindle format of this book. I can't be sure that the content I'm looking for isn't actually present, I'm just finding it enormously frustrating to try find and access it. I looked at the traditional format of this book in a bookshop and was overwhelmed by the sheer size of it. I also questioned the practicality of a book that large. Since I am travelling to more than one country and therefore need more than one guide book, I opted to buy the larger book in Kindle format. I have a Paperwhite and realised that that would limit my experience of all the images but had hoped eBook rendering of important features like maps might have improved. Not only do the colour contrasts not work when converted to black and white but the resolution when you zoom in is poor. Also, I guess because Lonely Planet had to try and squeeze so much into one book, the details on each place are quite thin. They compensate for this by providing web links to alternate sources of information on their website. Not so great if you're on-the-go and don't have internet access. An example of such important information is details on things like the metro system in Delhi. All I know from the information in the book is that there is one and that a smart card is recommended. That is it. There also appears to be valuable information missing for female travellers. I have, for example, been advised by Indian colleagues of mine that womens' safety when alone varies depending on the time of day in some areas. While that may seem obvious to some, it may be less so for women from relatively safe European countries, for example. Also the reasons for the decrease in safety at night in some parts is not necessarily that darkness makes it easier to get away with crime but rather than women alone at night are perceived as being 'loose'. These are important considerations for women to be able to take into account when weighing up risks. Additionally, seeing that this information is so pertinent to presumably 50% or so of the book's readership some information about sunrise and sunset would be helpful. I've had to look this up separately as it affects my decisions about mode of transport when arriving from the airport. So, in all, if this is an example of what its like to use a Kindle version of a travel guide, I will be sticking to bulky traditional versions from now on. The frustration trying to navigate and the loss of the maps is not worth the £2 difference between the digital and print versions. And you can't sell it on or trade it in after your trip like you can print versions! As for the book, I think Lonely Planet have been too ambitious by trying to squeeze everything about India into one book. I know they do North and South India versions and it may be better to spend the extra money and buy both, or expect to spend time in advance on the internet supplementing skeletal information.

5.0 out of 5 stars a big book, 26 Mar 2014
Joseph Wallace (Scotland) - See all my reviews
a substantial read but packed with very useful stuff. We are about to set off on our 5th trip to India and have found it very helpful in planning our visit

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 30 Jun 2014
Perfect!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 1 Jun 2014
Fantastic every detail included definitely worth buying. I have used all areas in the book and it will be coming with us on our trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars an intro to india, 28 May 2014
Jam packed booked although I think I may research more online as vague about many things, you can't fit the whole of india into one book

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Lonely Planet India (Travel Guide)