Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 22 October 2013
My copy of Eliza's first album is one I overplayed a lot, the kind of album I put on when I needed to smile and hear a sweet voice. So when Big When I Was Little came out, I counted down the days until her second album would be out.

So here it is, the collection of songs I have waited for. Granted, this is a little different from her first album, but its not a massive change. There is still great songs, fun lyrics and foot tapping beats, all this fused together with her sweet voice. I was a bit shocked to hear Miss Doolittle came back with a little potty mouth on some tracks, but its not over done and fits well with the songs theme - and haven't we all listened to songs with lyric warnings on? Eliza is just older now, and this shows in the maturity of this fantastic album.

If you want music from a rising star who isn't bothered about fitting into the current market of music out there, then this is one for you.
on 29 January 2015
Although I am mainly a Rock fan I enjoy listening to light pop music in the gym, especially when sung by a good female singer. I avoid listening to loud music through headphones as I want to keep my hearing. Eliza's first album fit the bill for the gym perfectly and I expected more of the same from her second, having listened to the short excerpts before I bought. The first two songs lived up to expectations but then things suddenly went a little more upbeat. Hush is an excellent song. This is followed by Let It Rain - within seconds of this song starting, I had a new favourite Eliza Doolittle song! Further highlights are provided by In Your Hands, Checkmate, and Big When I Was Little.

Special mention has to go to the drums on In Your Hands and Checkmate. There is nothing there that would challenge a drummer of a few months' experience, but the drumming is very effective. The drums have an echo on In Your Hands - although simple, it is the echo on the drums that made this song a highlight. And there is almost military-style snare drumming on Checkmate (which fits in with the lyrics) which adds a certain something to the song.

Disappointed that I had to buy two songs on download because they weren't included on the CD, but that's a minor complaint - as is the difficulty I had reading the lyrics in the CD booklet (less than a week after having my eyes tested!).

Mention must go to Walking On Water, which contains the controversial lyric "Sometimes I wish I was Jesus". Controversial indeed - it should be "I wish I were Jesus"! A very nice song and the "controversial" lyric, in the context of the song, is not in the slightest bit blasphemous.
on 5 November 2014
Where is Eliza Dolittle? Nowhere to be found in this record... well, appart from the cover and some potos inside. Nothing left from the lovely young lady with fresh music and beautiful voice. Who told her it will be a good idea to move to simple, cheap, mainstream pop? The CD is not bad, but definitely, this is not the kind of music for which I liked Eliza for a start. Just pick your every-day pop star or girl band and you will find lots of this stuff, Bad, bad, bad for the people that is advising her. Hope the third CD will bring us back her original style! Otherwise, that will be my last CD from Eliza.
on 16 November 2013
Eliza Doolittle is finally back after 4 years waiting for a follow-up to the exceptional debut album. First single Big When I Was Little promised a lot from the new album however Let It Rain and the acoustic version of Waste of Time suggested that maybe Eliza wouldn't step up to the plate.

In Your Hands is now out with surprisingly little coverage but is it worth the wait? Well yes and no. This is still classy and catchy. Some songs explore the love life previously kept hidden from public eye, some songs are motivational ballads that we expect from Eliza. Highlights include Back Packing, No Man Can and Don't Call It Love. However, to a lot of fans of Eliza's previous work it may be worth listening to a sampler before buying. This album steps away from the rays of indie sunshine and into more serious territory. As much as I enjoyed this album I missed the old Eliza.

All in all this album is definitely worth a listen - but it is definitely a case of try before you buy.
on 22 October 2013
I loved the first album, and could not wait for the second offering. I gets off to an iffy start for me. Whilst Eliza's voice is great 'Waste of Time' and 'Backpacking' are mediocre in my opinion. It gets worse with 'Hush'. It had the makings of a really good song, but what sounds like a 3 year old child keeps pressing the same key on an electric organ all the way through. It is irritating, and ruins this for me.Track 4, 'Let It Rain' is excellent. It's just as well Eliza is not a weather forecaster as this a ray of sunshine on this album. 'No Man Can' was not what I expected from the title, but is a very good song. Track 6, 'Walking On Water' is not one I like, it's too repetitive, and I hit the snooze button with the mention of Jesus. 'In Your Hands' took me a lot of plays to decide on. Eventually, I do like the song, but am not convinced it should have been sung in such a high key. 'Checkmate' is one of my favourite songs on the album. 'Team Player', 'Make Up Sex' and 'Euston Road' are all fine. 'Big When I Was Little' is a song which would have stood proudly alongside the songs on Eliza's first album. Track 11, 'Don't Call It Love' is the worst song I have heard from Eliza Doolittle by a million miles. It just sounds like someone singing in the shower. One comment I would make to those giving very bad scores, is give it a chance. I hated the album, except for three songs, when I first played it. Gradually, others grew on me. I look forward to album three, hopefully we won't have to wait 3 years this time.
on 22 October 2013
This album is sure to disappoint those that loved the quirky pop of her first album,but for anyone willing to listen to her grow and rely on her vocals more than poppy songs,go for it. She clearly has matured,not that she sounded childish before,it's just her vocals have become stronger,with that Eliza sound still coming through.
Some songs are surprisingly heavy in beat,strong bass sound that demands to be heard. There are a few songs in the first album's style,but I respect that she is showing that's not what she's all about,she does more emotional,strong vocal stuff too.
As much as I would've been happy with more catchy songs like BIG WHEN I WAS LITTLE,that doesn't stop me wanting to play it more.
I kind of get the Lily allen comparison but in my view,Eliza out sings her quite easily,or to be blunt,Eliza sings.
I like the sound of this,plus I feel music of this kind is safe in her hands.
on 14 October 2013
Best follow up album by Eliza Doolittle! Happy tunes that puts a smile on your face :)Definitely worth the wait.
on 14 October 2013
I love her first album which is filled with quirky / catchy tunes (slightly reminiscent of Lily Allen) and have been waiting impatiently for this release. The single "Big When I Was Little" is more representative of that first album. This second album seems to be more mature while retaining strong melodic tunes. Highlights include "Hush", "In Your Hands", "Checkmate", "Team Player", "Make Up Sex" and "Let It Rain". A really great album from the best young female artist around at the moment. Wonderful.
on 20 October 2013
Eliza has grown up and changed, In Your Hands is a mature pop album. If you're expecting the quirky pop songs from the first album (minus Big When I was Little) you're gonna be disappointed. This is a different sound, more straight up ballads and classy pop songs - see No Man Can, a jazzy uptempo pop number. But every song could be a single, I've had this album in my player every day since I bought it. I still love her voice! The title doesn't work via download, Eliza - In Your Hands, so buy the CD!
on 25 February 2014
On the first listen I was not impressed at its a steer away from the playful first album but on continued listening I found a well contrasted and lyrically interesting album. 'I wish I was Jesus so I could run across the ocean' is a fantastic lyric and there are other more profound insights to human nature throughout the album.

Its different and well worst a listen, added the price drop from release, a must buy