5.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW - David
5 out of 5 for this reader folks! I know .... what a shocker huh?? LOL

Dear Grace, I adore you! Love Rachel (one of your biggest fans and one who is still waiting for you to mail me my own Lonely Lord .. I will even let you pick who ... but DAVID would be a great choice!) WINK

David by Grace Burrowes is the 9th book of her Lonely Lords series and...
Published 11 months ago by Rachel

3.0 out of 5 stars David Fairly Was Only Fair
I was disappointed in this book on so many levels. David Fairly's character has always been an intriguing character for me in the other Burrowes' books. Part of my interest had to do with the fact that he is a peer, physician, seemingly marvelous friend and all around nice guy and then those remarkable eyes - one blue and one green.

What I liked: I was pleased...
Published 7 months ago by Judge Tabor

5.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW - David, 18 Mar. 2014
Rachel (Nepean, Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: David: Lord of Honor (The Lonely Lords Book 9) (Kindle Edition)
5 out of 5 for this reader folks! I know .... what a shocker huh?? LOL

David by Grace Burrowes is the 9th book of her Lonely Lords series and WOWSA! We've met David a few times in her past LL books and he was always a bit of a mystery. We were teased with his personality and I have to admit I was REALLY happy to start his book. David Worthington is the Viscount Fairly who absolutely loves his family, is trained as a physician although he doesn't formally practise, is proper as needed but flies by the seat of his pants in a fairly jovial manner (underneath is a fair amount of complicated though), and has inherited a brothel that he is quite unsure what to do with.

Letty Banks is a known courtesan that just so happens to have had David's ex brother in law as her last protector before he died. Now Letty is left to make it on her own and she is slowly drowning in poverty and starvation. When a close friend brings this knowledge to David's attention, David makes contact and ends up offering Letty the position of Madam at his brothel. This idea may kill two birds with one stone (David can carry on his life without worrying about the running of his brothel and Letty gets to eat and live a little better), but creates a whole wack of possible trouble for the couple.

David cannot seem to stay away from Letty who he comes to find rather guarded for a supposed courtesan. Letty is suspicious of everyone and their intention and rightfully so as the story begins to unravel. When Davis is pretty much up front with her about his attraction towards her, Letty finds she really wants to lower her walls and let him in a little. She also believes lowering her walls makes her vulnerable and she has too much trouble from her past to be vulnerable.

These two are so meant for each other and you know you are reading a great story when you start it and before you know it you are more than half way through and you have missed what real life has been happening around you. LOL Most of Grace Burrowes books are like this and I am considering writing a Do Not Disturb reading Grace Burrowes sign for my bedroom door. David is a charmer but a "lay it all out, you can trust me" charmer. These two do really start with a beautiful friendship and I think it is that friendship that enables them to take the next few steps. Letty of so complex and multi layered and experiencing David peeling these layers back made my heart happy! Let me tell you though .. Letty peels David's layers just as well!

Another great read. I don't like to give away much of the story, but those that have read my reviews know that I am a HUGE historical romance fan. Only a choice few series go on my "MUST KEEP" shelf, and The Lonely Lords is absolutely one of them!

One last thing ... 9 books in this series, released all in one year. That blows my mind and one would think the quality would suffer. NO WAY did quality suffer here. Just goes to show how talented of an author we have here when ALL my reviews in this series have rated 5 out of 5.

HAPPY READING! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars David Lord of Honor, 25 Mar. 2014
I have read all the books in this series and they are well worth a read if you like historical romances and the stories of a family. Grace Burrowes is a marvellous author bringing the books to life.

3.0 out of 5 stars David Fairly Was Only Fair, 23 July 2014

What I liked: I was pleased that this book didn't revolve around the activities of the brothel that he inherited even though the heroine, Letticia (Letty) Banks, is ultimately hired to be the madame at the brothel. Letty, whose past is revealed over the course of the book, was formerly mostly known as the mistress of David's deceased brother-in-law, Herbert. When David realizes that Letty is in dire straits, he tries to figure out a way that would assist Letty financially - thus, he offers her the job as madame of the brothel he inherited.

Letty is so desperate for money, she agrees to take the job even though she knows very little about the business. As we eventually learn about how and why she came to be in the position she found herself in, it is difficult to appreciate many of David's maneuvers as they relate to Letty. In point of fact, Lord Valentine Windham, Lord Douglas Amery and even Westhaven himself all caution David about his plans/treatment/maneuvering of Letty. David, however, wants her as his mistress and finds a way to make it happen even though technically, she isn't available to him except as a "lover" and only at the place and time of her choosing.

One common issue I have with many of Ms. Burrowes' books is that she gives us these intriguing Main Guys but their past is super sketchy. Why did David leave home and travel all those years at sea? Why did he not realize his two young stepsisters needed him to provide for them? How does he manage to have properties on three continents and when the book mentions the awful, terrible, things he has seen and done, what would these things be? I am left with way too many questions about the how and why of some of these characters in her books and especially in the case of David.

*Spoilers* Also, when David Fairly is mentioned in some of the previous books, one gets the opinion that he is a very sweet, kind fellow and yet his sensitivity when it came to Letty was just lacking. He kept her in the same house that she had mistressed in for "Herbert" and she couldn't bear to even be in the room where she and Herbert had been together. What??? Then, even after David was over the moon for her and asked her to marry him and she took a knife for him, that is the house he fixed up for her to live in??? Also, a couple of instances when she is asleep, he uses sexual accoutrements from the brothel on her even though she is somewhat "gun shy" due to her past experiences. And, in one of those occasions, she didn't appear to enjoy the experience. That just doesn't sound like the "fair" Fairly.

Last - I hate these books when the H/h, though both professing to be head over heels in love, just give up on one another without any explanation of "why" or demanding the reasons "why" from the one who won't say "why" and this garbage typically goes on until the very end of the book. Ugh!!

Last Comment: The unexpected bright spot in this book was Daniel, Letty's brother. I agree with another reviewer that it would be great if Daniel could have his own book.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great series, 10 Mar. 2014
I have read all this books by this author and the Lonely Lords series is particularly good and well written.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lonely lords books, 28 Mar. 2014
Well written. A little risqué in parts but written in a tasteful way. Thank goodness we have the freedom to marry who we choose. It makes me think how lucky we are as women today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 1 Jun. 2014
had me crying my eyes out most of the way through ,really got into the story and love the ending

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner!, 12 Mar. 2014
I have eagerly awaited all of Grace's novels and this one didn't disappoint.
David and Letty's story kept me gripped and at one point despairing of a happy outcome
for the two unhappy souls. Bravo Ms Authoress!

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, 15 Mar. 2014
Predictable and boring. Nearly didn't finish the book. Would not recommend this book. The plot plodded on. If you need to get to sleep, I would recommend this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 31 Oct. 2014
same review for all three books

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Jan. 2015