5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent **Updated**
I recently had to RMA my trusty HX1000 power supply after 4 and a half years of hard use. Corsair sent me the RM1000 as a replacement since the HX1000 has been discontinued and I thought I would leave a review on here for those thinking of buying this PSU.
Published 13 months ago by Traffic

1.0 out of 5 stars Look at you batch NUMBER
Faulty batchs have been sold via amazon even though CORSAIR have recalled these back. I recieved one with a faulty batch number. I contacted corsair they were willing to send one that has been produced latter on the year which fixes the issues of the fan never spining. But i just got a refund from amazon and bought EVGA 850 Supernova instead.

If you are BUYING...
Published 5 months ago by A. Abbas

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent **Updated**, 15 May 2014
Traffic (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This is a solid improvement over my old PSU as it is now fully modular and is also 80+ Gold efficiency rated, my previous unit was only rated at 80+. Design and build quality is very good as with most Corsair power supplies. I'm most impressed with the 0RPM technology which means it's pretty much silent all the time. Even when the fan does ramp up it's impossible for me to hear it.
The cables are flat and are very similar to the ones found with Corsair's AX series PSU's. Some other reviews have mentioned that the cable connections are a bit stiff and I did find this to be true with the 24 pin ATX connector but all of the others were fine.
This didn't bother me much as it just needs a little extra force applied for it to click into place.
The C-link cables are included in the 1000 watt version but I did not use/test this out so I'm not sure how useful it is.
I'm very pleased with this PSU as it currently powers my high performance workstation/gaming rig and it's completely stable and very quite!
-Highly recommended.

**Update (750w)**

I've just purchased the 750w version of this unit from amazon based on the strengths of the 1000w version and I can confirm it's every bit as good.
The only negative I can mention is that you don't get the complete C-Link dongle with this one only the 1000w version.
There is a slight price premium for this unit over some of other 750w PSU's available but I will say it's worth it due to features like gold efficiency rating, full modular design and 0RPM technology.
This unit is worth every penny and exudes quality. 5 stars again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Power unit but cables are a bit stiff!, 18 Feb. 2014
I would be giving this 5 stars as the power unit is great, and fully lives up to the claims for low noise emissions. Since the fan for the unit doesn't come on until the draw on the unit exceeds a pre set limit, it is eerily quiet when you start the machine. if you have a high end gaming machine or work with 3d model data then this is the power supply for you. The only niggle and it is a niggle, is that the cables which come in modular form are very stiff!. It makes it a bit tricky to fit if your case is a bit cramped. On the plus side it almost negates the use of cable ties, because once you bend them clear of any fans, they are staying put, even in an earthquake. Well worth the money for the build quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silence is golden, 28 Aug. 2014
It is completely silent. My previous power supply's fan was the noisiest component in my system. I have had this power supply for a few days now and I have yet to see the fan spin! Now, the only component in my system that I can hear is my mechanical hard drive.

The box shows pictures of the cables, so you can easily identify them. The modular nature of this power supply makes cable management simple. The cables are flat, giving them a lower profile. This is supposed to make cable management easier but I prefer round cables - makes them easier to bend. You can buy some really lovely, coloured upgrade cable kits for this power supply - but they cost more than the actual power supply does (so Corsair must be making hefty profit on them).

FYI: I believe the Corsair branded RM series power supplies are actually made by two different manufacturers: Channel Well Technology and Chicony. This is one of the CWT ones. I believe the RM650 and RM750 are made by Chicony. The CWT ones have slightly better reviews on tech websites.

1.0 out of 5 stars Look at you batch NUMBER, 17 Jan. 2015

If you are BUYING ONE OF THESE, LOOK at the batch number and contact CORSAIR and see if your PSU is not one from the faulty batch. AS YOU MAY HAVE A REALLY BIG ISSUE IN THE FUTURE, THE MODELS which were made during the 2013/4 were recalled because the COIL which is ment to detect the temps that enables the fan to spin to keep the parts cool does not start spinning because as the coil was placed behind the fan so the temps wouldnt reach the coil thus the fan never span which causes heat and from that causes you parts to fry.

I am very SUPRISED AMAZON still sell these and have NOT CONTACTED CORSAIR.

4.0 out of 5 stars No problems with the unit but cables too stiff ., 23 Jan. 2015
Mr. M. J. Orme (Swadlincote, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Up and running with no problems and very quiet .Not for the first time PC builder with the full modulars system for the cables .And the cables are the biggest problem . They are a very hard plastic and it is hard to do a good job of tidying up the case when they are fitted . Even though they all snap in to the sockets I still found a couple had flipped out when adding the cables ties included .

5.0 out of 5 stars Continuous use on max power not a problem., 17 Oct. 2014
I have three of these now running flat-out, I'm pulling a continuous 840watts via 2x 8pin PCI-e connectors on each unit for 4 month non stop, so very suitable for powering bitcoin mining asics. I also have the earlier version HX850 which is also running continuously for 12 months now, it originally was pulling 350watts from 2x 8pin PCI-e connectors(the fan never came on), then 450watts from 3x 8pin PCI-e connectors(fan came on slow but still basically silent) and now pulling 550watts. The modular PCI connectors are on a common rail so well able to handle this wattage as long as your PCI-e cables can. I'm using the modular ones that came with the units which are warm to the touch but no warmer than the plug on the 230v ac socket that powers all of this.

The DC power they produce is very clean(sha256 asics are very sensitive to this) but my 230vac is very clean anyways.
I've heard a rumour that using 2x 1200watt (Corsair AX1200i) units for same application had some problems with PCI connectors/cables, and having to use custom made(16 AWG) split Y connectors, so presume the a single rail on 1200w can't draw all the power for safety reasons(makes sense I guess), so very happy I went the 3x850w instead of the 2x1200w for my application.
So one of these should work pretty good for a gaming rig with high end graphics card I would imagine.

Only thing I can find fault with is that some of the PCI-e socket connectors on the unit seem a bit loose so might become a problem if your application involved regularly unpluging these PCI-e cables.
Very good price on amazon also and quick delivery as always.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good power supply, 8 July 2014
Good power supply, makes no coil whirling sound and no fan sound from what I have heard.
The only big downside to this PSU is that the cables are very stiff and sometimes you really have to push them into their sockets, a few times I felt like something was going to snap.

Price is good for a fully modular 80+ gold certified 850w PSU, if only the cables would allow for a little bit more flexibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super silent PSU!, 18 May 2015
I purchased this power supply to replace my old 450w supply that stopped working. I was after a power supply as quiet as possible, as I use my PC to record audio in a very quiet room. I am so happy with my decision, as this PSU is noiseless so far. There is a fan but it will only power up if the PSU is put under heavy usage and the PSU reaches a high temperature. So far I have never heard the fan start to spin. I am not a gamer, or power user. I mainly use my computer for internet browsing, audio recording and editing and some photo and graphic editing work. The computer is on most of the day and there are 6 USB peripherals attached, with an internal SSD drive, an internal HDD drive and Blu-Ray drive. Under this kind of usage, I doubt you will ever hear the fan unless you have a particularly hot room or poor ventilation around your PC. After 4 months of usage, I can highly recommend the Corsair RM650

3.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but possibly suspect 24 pin ATX connector, 16 Aug. 2014
Seems to work fine, but the 24 pin ATX connector to the motherboard is *really* difficult to get properly seated (on my Intel motherboard, at least). The previous power supply did not have a problem with the same board, so presumably the tolerances are just a bit too tight on the connectors Corsair use. Perhaps it would be fine with another brand of motherboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Time will tell, 18 Feb. 2015
This is the first time using a modular psu and I heard good things about this corsair model. I have to say so far so good, it powers everything with no problems, it's nice and quiet and my pc started up first time after installation without issue. A couple of the connectors were a tight fit with the mobo and one still isn't clipped in fully but I blame the mobo not this psu. I'm still not sure if I needed to plug the link cable into the mobo's psu_fan header or if the psu handles the fan speed internally but I have done and I haven't had any trouble but a little extra documentation to explain this would have been useful.

It's hard to know how good a psu is until it goes bang so I guess only time will tell. Lets hoping it's as good as my last psu (an old seasonic) that is still going strong after 8 years in a different system.