4.0 out of 5 stars Great Power unit but cables are a bit stiff!
Published 8 months ago by slowhand818

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality could be higher
Its silent I have to give them that and also easy to work with being modular.
One of the cables was manufactured poorly and slid out of the plug - you would expected more from Corsair higher product line. Contacting Corsair also is not as smooth as you would expect.
Published 3 months ago by KK

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Power unit but cables are a bit stiff!, 18 Feb 2014
I would be giving this 5 stars as the power unit is great, and fully lives up to the claims for low noise emissions. Since the fan for the unit doesn't come on until the draw on the unit exceeds a pre set limit, it is eerily quiet when you start the machine. if you have a high end gaming machine or work with 3d model data then this is the power supply for you. The only niggle and it is a niggle, is that the cables which come in modular form are very stiff!. It makes it a bit tricky to fit if your case is a bit cramped. On the plus side it almost negates the use of cable ties, because once you bend them clear of any fans, they are staying put, even in an earthquake. Well worth the money for the build quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent **Updated**, 15 May 2014
Traffic (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I recently had to RMA my trusty HX1000 power supply after 4 and a half years of hard use. Corsair sent me the RM1000 as a replacement since the HX1000 has been discontinued and I thought I would leave a review on here for those thinking of buying this PSU.
This is a solid improvement over my old PSU as it is now fully modular and is also 80+ Gold efficiency rated, my previous unit was only rated at 80+. Design and build quality is very good as with most Corsair power supplies. I'm most impressed with the 0RPM technology which means it's pretty much silent all the time. Even when the fan does ramp up it's impossible for me to hear it.
The cables are flat and are very similar to the ones found with Corsair's AX series PSU's. Some other reviews have mentioned that the cable connections are a bit stiff and I did find this to be true with the 24 pin ATX connector but all of the others were fine.
This didn't bother me much as it just needs a little extra force applied for it to click into place.
The C-link cables are included in the 1000 watt version but I did not use/test this out so I'm not sure how useful it is.
I'm very pleased with this PSU as it currently powers my high performance workstation/gaming rig and it's completely stable and very quite!
-Highly recommended.

**Update (750w)**

I've just purchased the 750w version of this unit from amazon based on the strengths of the 1000w version and I can confirm it's every bit as good.
The only negative I can mention is that you don't get the complete C-Link dongle with this one only the 1000w version.
There is a slight price premium for this unit over some of other 750w PSU's available but I will say it's worth it due to features like gold efficiency rating, full modular design and 0RPM technology.
This unit is worth every penny and exudes quality. 5 stars again.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality could be higher, 9 July 2014
Its silent I have to give them that and also easy to work with being modular.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Silent Power Supply which performs very well., 7 Aug 2014
Slightly smaller than my previous HX1000 power supply, so wasn't sure whether this cheaper unit would work as well as the HX1000 had done. However, power supply designs have become much more efficient since I bought the HX1000 6yrs ago.
I've had this power supply about a week now, and I've yet to see the fan start up, so absolutely silent. I have fitted a temperature sensor to the top of the power supply case and the highest it's shown is 37c, most days it's around 32c. I've connected the C-Link so I can check when the fan kicks in, but despite running games to stress the system a little, I've still not managed to get the fan running, which is pretty amazing.

Even after many hours of use the top of the unit is only slightly warm, so I'm assuming this is quiet normal, as my rig, which has a 780gtx fitted obviously is not drawing enough to trigger the fan. Ambient temperature is around the 24c/25c mark, I should mention my case is a cooler master Haf 712 which has superb ventilation with 200mm fans at the front and top, plus other fans too. These I have slowed down for general use for quietness, and are increased when gaming.
In fact that power supply sensor is the warmest in my case, with other sensors showing temps in the case of around the 29/30c mark.

Therefore I'm assuming this is why the power supply fan has not kicked in yet, as it's designed not to run until it's around the 40% load mark, Obviously this means the top of the p/supply case is a little warmer than my previous unit. One things for sure You can't get any more quieter than silent...lol though I'm sure even when the fans running it will still be pretty quiet.

As others have stated the cables are a little stiff, but so was the flat cables on my previous HX1000, and the connectors can be a little tight to plug in so they get snapped in properly, but no big deal, as I'd rather have them tight than loose.

I have connected the C-link lead and run the Corsair software, but it's value on these cheaper RM range is limited to just monitoring the fan speed and the current load on the 12v, it does show other devices in your system too, but you cannot change any settings, you can only monitor them, whereas on the more expensive AX series you can control fans etc. So probably not worth occupying a usb port for.

My previous Corsair HX1000 used to separate 500w 12v rails to achieve it's 1000w total, whereas this RM1000 just has a single 12v rail which is much better. It's early days, but if reliability turns out to be good, then this RM1000 is a very good buy, offering silent operation, you really can't get any quieter than this, whether the slightly increase temperature inside the unit affects reliability is another thing, but so far it's running far cooler than I thought it would so I'm very impressed with it;s design to achieve that.

So based on 1 weeks use, I'm impressed with it's silent operation, and efficiency in not getting warmer than it does, as to run all day, and it's case temperature is still only 10c above ambient is not bad at all in my book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good power supply, 8 July 2014
Good power supply, makes no coil whirling sound and no fan sound from what I have heard.
The only big downside to this PSU is that the cables are very stiff and sometimes you really have to push them into their sockets, a few times I felt like something was going to snap.

Price is good for a fully modular 80+ gold certified 850w PSU, if only the cables would allow for a little bit more flexibility.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Deal, 9 April 2014
It works perfectly, is silent and connected to Corsair Link makes it a smart PSU, the full modular system saves space inside the cabinet leaving everything nice and tidy...suggested!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent PSU, 3 April 2014
Totally modular, excellent build quality.
Very quiet.
The cables are easy to handle and have a good length.

Can't fault it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Continuous use on max power not a problem., 17 Oct 2014
I have three of these now running flat-out, I'm pulling a continuous 840watts via 2x 8pin PCI-e connectors on each unit for 4 month non stop, so very suitable for powering bitcoin mining asics. I also have the earlier version HX850 which is also running continuously for 12 months now, it originally was pulling 350watts from 2x 8pin PCI-e connectors(the fan never came on), then 450watts from 3x 8pin PCI-e connectors(fan came on slow but still basically silent) and now pulling 550watts. The modular PCI connectors are on a common rail so well able to handle this wattage as long as your PCI-e cables can. I'm using the modular ones that came with the units which are warm to the touch but no warmer than the plug on the 230v ac socket that powers all of this.

The DC power they produce is very clean(sha256 asics are very sensitive to this) but my 230vac is very clean anyways.
I've heard a rumour that using 2x 1200watt (Corsair AX1200i) units for same application had some problems with PCI connectors/cables, and having to use custom made(16 AWG) split Y connectors, so presume the a single rail on 1200w can't draw all the power for safety reasons(makes sense I guess), so very happy I went the 3x850w instead of the 2x1200w for my application.
So one of these should work pretty good for a gaming rig with high end graphics card I would imagine.

Only thing I can find fault with is that some of the PCI-e socket connectors on the unit seem a bit loose so might become a problem if your application involved regularly unpluging these PCI-e cables.
Very good price on amazon also and quick delivery as always.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant and reliable PSU, 13 Oct 2014
I must admit before I start this review, I am a bit of a corsair fanboy. My PSU, RAM and closed loop water cooling system are all Corsair.

I have used the CS series before, but opted for the RM this time for a few reasons which are the fully modular set up, 80 plus Gold rating and the partial Corsair link support. As well as all the cables in this pack are all flat for easy cable management.

I also bought the RM 1000 so I had a PSU which would last me at least a few years and as you enthusiasts know that is a long time in terms of tech and as I like to add to my set up frequently I feel this will be part of my "ongoing build" for a while.

I think the main selling point for me was the zero rpm fan until it hits 40% load which only happens when I push it whilst gaming these days. Other than that it is silent so when I do everyday browsing and production it doesn't kick in which is a massive difference than other PSU I have had in the past.

In short, I would say it is worth the investment for any dual GPU card user like myself who is prone to overclocking. Plus the 5 year warranty gave me that little push to get it.

The price is going down thanks to the AX series so it is worth saving that little bit more for this unit.

My only negative with this is that the Corsair link support is only partial, but I only monitored fan speeds and voltage to tweak fan curves with this feature so I feel it is harsh but something worth mentioning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silence is golden, 28 Aug 2014
It is completely silent. My previous power supply's fan was the noisiest component in my system. I have had this power supply for a few days now and I have yet to see the fan spin! Now, the only component in my system that I can hear is my mechanical hard drive.

The box shows pictures of the cables, so you can easily identify them. The modular nature of this power supply makes cable management simple. The cables are flat, giving them a lower profile. This is supposed to make cable management easier but I prefer round cables - makes them easier to bend. You can buy some really lovely, coloured upgrade cable kits for this power supply - but they cost more than the actual power supply does (so Corsair must be making hefty profit on them).

FYI: I believe the Corsair branded RM series power supplies are actually made by two different manufacturers: Channel Well Technology and Chicony. This is one of the CWT ones. I believe the RM650 and RM750 are made by Chicony. The CWT ones have slightly better reviews on tech websites.