5.0 out of 5 stars Mischievous OAP's :-)
Published 16 months ago by J Dent

2.0 out of 5 stars CHILDISH WRITING
In spite of the enticing title, interesting cover and many glowing accolades this book turned out to be neither witty or clever.

Published 13 months ago by little lady blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Mischievous OAP's :-), 28 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules (Kindle Edition)
This is a very funny read. The adventures of a 79-year-old (and her ageing companions) who refuse to sit out the rest of their lives without ambition and excitement. They are determined to make the most of their otherwise dull and depressing time in a care home, and plot to rob a bank - the results are hilarious, occasionally touching, and scarily believable! But all in all, a very good and easy to read book that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I've read a few comedy novels that involve non conforming pensioners, and this is right up there with the best. Another I would also highly recommend is I'm Dreaming of a Wilde Summer (A laugh-out-loud romantic comedy) which had me stitches.

I will look out for other Catharina Ingelman-Sundberg books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Now this is a Gangsta Granny!, 29 Dec. 2013
I downloaded this book because it was 99p on Kindle - and it is worth every penny! You get plenty of page for your money and plenty of laughs too!

I am a young male and despite the age difference I enjoyed reading 100 year old man. This book doesn't have such an epic or historical setting as 100 year old man but I liked the Stockholm setting. This book reminded me more of something like Dad's Army as the story revolves around 5 elderly friends who get up to all sorts of capers.The friendships in this book are really strong and it was nice to see older people standing up for themselves and the things they believe in. The ending was interesting and made me wonder if there was a sequel in store?

Overall I thorough recommend this book, its great value entertainment.

2.0 out of 5 stars CHILDISH WRITING, 31 Mar. 2014

The premise was promising: A group of elderly ladies and gentlemen, five in all, are very unhappy with their retirement home restrictions and inadequate food. After seeing a documentary on prison life showing it to be a lot more pleasant than their retirement home, they decide to commit a crime so as to go to prison. So much could have been made out of this idea with really creative writing.

Being of `an age' myself I was expecting a fun sophisticated kind of caper. However, I found the prose childish, the dialogue puerile and the various scenarios totally infantile and more in keeping with ten-year-olds. The characters felt and sounded more silly than smart.

Granted it starts to get a bit better about a third of the way through but not enough to make a difference. It never achieved the `spark' that I had expected.

In deference to the author I would like to assume that somehow the story was lost in translation, but I'm pretty sure that is not the case.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not to my taste, 14 Feb. 2014
Bantam Dave (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love Amazon and they are always the first place I look whenever I am planning a purchase but I suspect that they have dropped a clanger this time and sent me the wrong book. The book I ordered was described on their website as being incredibly quirky, humorous and warm-hearted. Unfortunately, the book they send me was not quirky but bizarre, lame rather than humorous and more empty headed than warm-hearted. I jest, but if ever a book proved the statement “there’s no accounting for taste” to be spot-on, it is this one. At the time of writing this review it has an average rating of over four stars, with many reviewers stating how enjoyable and funny it is but I just don’t see it like that myself. To be honest, The Little Old Lady That Broke all the Rules bored me to tears and I can’t think of anything about it that I liked.

The story is extremely tame, almost to the point of childishness. I realise that most comic novels have a certain degree of infeasibility but the plot of this book strains credibility WAY too far. It is possible that the author’s original Swedish version is a true comic classic and that the English translation as deprived it of its style and humour; if that is so I suggest that the publishers have it re-translated. Maybe that version will be better. The characters, written to be feisty but likeable pensioners, are more shove-able that lovable, more like cartoon characters than proper, fleshed out people. I didn't like any one of them and spent most of the book hoping that they would get arrested and that the subsequent trial would sentence them all to death. Lastly, this is supposed to be a funny book; you could have fooled me - I've had more fun getting a boil lanced.

You will probably have gathered by now that I didn't like this book. Sorry, but it just didn't float my boat.

3.0 out of 5 stars The joys of old age, 31 Jan. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I saw the blurb for this the idea appealed to me. Pensioners who rob banks looked to be a little edgy. In practice this tale is not edgy but is lightly affectionate mostly. Set mostly in Stockholm a group of pensioners decide that, by committing a robbery, they will be sent to prison which appears to offer a better life than their current residential home. I really did love the prologue however I found the story rather bland a lot of the time. Some parts were entertaining and it tackled some quite deep issues of how the elderly are treated and perceived by society as a whole. The characters weren't really strong enough for me although Martha - the ring leader - was great. Not a bad read and probably more 3.5 star all in all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Talk about disappointing!, 11 Aug. 2014
Like so many reviewers, I downloaded this book in the misapprehension that it would be on a par with The 100-Year-Old Man etc., which I really enjoyed reading from start to finish.

What a mistake to make! I was only a few chapters in when I realised that neither the storyline, the characters nor the language in which it was written were getting any better. I agree that this book could have been written by a child. Totally unbelievable plot, ridiculous characters and that's ignoring the inconsistencies and the constant references to how Martha would like to take Brain's hand but stops herself... (like I said, could have been written by a child).

I really, really must remember to read reviews before I download another book!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Bother, 2 May 2014
L. Millar (Aberdeen) - See all my reviews
I bought this book because I thought it was going to be in the same vein as 'The Hundred Year Old Man.....', which I really enjoyed. However it was not in the least bit funny, or interesting. I ploughed through it in the hope it would improve, but it didn't. A waste of £2.99.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beyond bad..., 1 Mar. 2014
M. CORKETT (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I don't wish to come across as too negative, but this is a genuinely terrible book. As with some previous reviewers, I read and thoroughly enjoyed 'The hundred year old man...' and hoped this would push it in terms of enjoyment. It didn't. The plot is weak, the characters are poorly developed, there isn't any real structure... I could go on but it will remind me how bad an experience it was. The translation could be seized upon as an excuse, but the same guy translated 'The hundred year old man...'. Which suggests to me the book is just poor.

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably better in the original language, 4 Nov. 2014
Aurora (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I found this book something of a problem. On the one hand it is quite a scathing indictment of the conditions in which elderly people appear to be expected to live in many countries, on the other hand, it does become quite tedious at times. Sadly I didn't find the promised humour, but I did admire the determination of the League of Pensioners to break out of their prison like old people's home and loved the idea of them living the high life in the best suite in a luxury hotel. That they went on to commit crime to fund a more lavish lifestyle and embrace freedom, was the premise of the book. If I was being pernickety I could pick all sorts of holes in the planning and execution of the crimes but a group of near-octogenarians surely can't be expected to think of everything can they? They were more than aware that they would be sent to prison, but as they subscribed to the commonly held theory that prisoners are better looked after than most other people in society, that was part of their plan. Sadly they discovered that prison wasn't quite the cushy life they had hoped for, but it certainly didn't stop them, it just made them take more care.

The idea behind this book is enticing but sadly it just didn't sparkle, but I am willing to believe that the humour was lost in the translation from the original Swedish.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation?, 20 Mar. 2014
S. Walby (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
I am struggling to think when I last read a book this bad. I'm not sure if it is badly written or badly translated, probably both. The writing style reads like a very long and very bad school essay, staggering along aimlessly rather like its characters. I kept hoping it would get better, it just got worse. Life it too short to waste reading this sort of nonsense.