on 17 November 2013
This is a very quick read, but definitely worth a read. Having endured far too many 'death by powerpoint' moments at events, I was in the camp of 'I don't use slides'. Through my association with the Professional Speaking Association (which is how I met the author Lee Jackson in person), I have been persuaded to selectively add a few slides back into my talks and keynotes. This book has given me the steer on how to do this in a way which enhances recall and looks as if a professional graphic designer has designed the slides.

What this book will do is:
* Explain the business benefit to using slides to enhance your presentation
* Show the typical mistakes most people make with slides and how you can avoid these mistakes
* Demonstrate how you can use techniques graphic designer's use to make your slides look damn good.

I read the kindle edition and was concerned that it wouldn't have the full impact that the colour paper book version of the book has. I need not have been concerned as the book translates well across to kindle.
on 13 October 2013
Firstly let me confess something. I know the author. He's done work for me and I've allowed him to 'operate' on my slides. But you're not going to get a gushing testimony because I know Lee - in fact he's not even asked me to do a review. I'm writing this because you seriously need to invest in this book if you want to up your game as a communicator and you're using slides.

The book isn't the longest one you'll read on the subject but my guess is it's probably the only one you'll need to read. It cuts to the heart of the matter and if you apply Lee's advice you will find you've breathed new life into your presentations.
on 15 October 2013
Many people upong getting their hands on this book may feel a slight sense of disappointment that it is not some lengthy tome packed with page after page of tightly packed text.

But it's these people that need to read this book the most.

Because at the end of the day communication is not about how many words the communicator uses, but how many actually get through to, and make an impact on, his or her audience. And that is exactly what this book is about. The medium is the message (for those of us that love cheesy sound bites).

As Jackson argues, PowerPoint should not be about slides packed with text, they should be about impact, making your message stick with your audience, and recognising that engaging visuals have far more effect than slide after slide of text.

So the book follows the same approach - Jackson cuts the waffle typical of most books and gets to the meat of his message quickly and efficiently yet comprehensively. (You'll learn from these pages what many clearly fail to learn in a lifetime).

In a nutshell then, it's short, to the point, beautifully illustrated and persuasively argued. Marshall McLuhan would be well pleased.
on 21 March 2014
I've seen Lee speak a few times.
I've experienced the difference between his talks and those of others, especially in business but also from people who are passionate about their subject, but have just missed it with their supporting slides and the way they used them. We all have.
Lee presents here some instructions that are easier to follow than most - it's stuff you can see how to do for yourself. So many books like this pretty much boil down to advising you to be someone you aren't - a graphic designer or whatever. This book's practical advice should let you still be you, but be able to get your points over so much better and let people get what you are presenting rather than being blocked by the presentation itself.
on 15 February 2014
This is one of those books that you don't think you need until you read it.
I found myself agreeing with everything and thinking "that's what I think, But why haven't I done anything about it then?" PowerPoint Surgery swiftly and effortlessly breaks down the barriers to good presentations and rebuilds then in an understandable and accessible way.
It's packed full of well thought out and researched ideas that flow seamlessly and make sense!
It left me feeling excited about creating better presentations, not only because they'll look good but more importantly because they will communicate what I actually want to say.
on 1 March 2014
Lee has captured and clarified numerous ways we can enhance our talks and presentations when we support them with slides.
This book is essential reading for anyone who wonders why some such presentations have more impact than others even when the speakers are equally good (or bad).
The book will be of most value though yo anyone keen to ensure that they and their talks be more powerful, easy to follow and more memorable.

Having heard the passion in Lee's talks when he addresses this subject I have also seen, still first, hand the proof, it were needed, of the advice, tips and techniques he shares in this book.
on 12 October 2013
I loved this book. If your role involves any kind of presentations or pitches that require Powerpoint, you can learn so much from Lee Jackson. The book is packed full of telling examples on what you should and shouldn't do if you want your presentation to hit the mark. Great visuals, case studies and bad examples to avoid. Strong reasoning why for every point made, and the readability is massively accessible. you can do the whole book in an hour and come out a Powerpoint wizard. Should be on the shelf of every speaker, leader, teacher, presenter and sales person!
on 10 October 2013
Lee Jackson's is one of the better books on PowerPoint that I've read. It has very simple visuals (which is basically lesson one), it tells you loads about what to do to improve your presentations and offers practical steps about where to get images and soforth.

After reading this in a single afternoon I've re-done a presentation I'm giving next week completely. I'm now confident that the focus will be on me rather than having slides as a distraction for the audience; it's going to be 100% better, largely thanks to what I've seen in this book.
on 10 October 2013
Being a dentist I have sat through many 'death by powerpoint' clinical presentations. When I decided to offer my own presentations, i wanted to be different, I wanted to be engaging and I wanted to be remembered. This book delivers all of that. It shows you what to do, but more importantly what not to do. Despite being a techno phobia I can easily implement the strategies Lee talks about in his book. My audience wont know what has hit them. Thanks. Dr Harry Singh
on 11 February 2014
I really enjoyed this book and found it so easy to follow with pictures to support what Lee is saying. I hope this book is purchased by people who present - especially the accountants! As an accountant myself I have had to sit through lots of training and found the majority of slides to be really boring. This book shows that Powerpoint can be entertaining and eye catching instead. Thanks Lee for explaining simply how this can be achieved.