5.0 out of 5 stars Superb album - perfect for the Christmas season, 3 Dec 2012
This is a collection of carols from the British Isles (including Ireland, Scotland and Wales) covering a period of several hundred years. If this description sounds a bit dry the music, beautifully performed by the Quadriga Consort, is anything but. Nikolaus Newerkla's arrangements work most effectively and and Elisabeth Kaplan's voice is sympathetic and beguiling. It is hard to think of a better accompaniment to your bowl of wassail.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong Celtic Flavour, 13 Jan 2013
Mrs. F. BOLAM-PEEL (West Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Plodding in places but some truly beautiful tracks on here and skilful musicianship. A treat, an investment. Worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful; if you only buy one Christmas CD this year, make it this one!, 8 Dec 2013
Davey (Dorset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I just chanced on this and decided to give it a pop. An "early music band" of ex-students from the University of Music in Graz, Austria, plus a South African singer isn't an obviuos choice for "Christmas music from the British Isles" - but this eclectic mix works perfectly. The music is a mix of familiar and not-so, and avoids the traps of being either too "academic" or "pop". Highlights for me are "The holly and the ivy" to an old french melody, and the old english "The moon shines bright".

If you only buy one Christmas CD this year, make it this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 28 Jan 2014
I really love this CD. The arrangements are beautiful, and there is a pleasing mix of gentle pieces (even a little melancholy - but peaceful to listen to) and fast-moving and folky. The solo voice is lovely, but there are instrumental tracks too, giving a pleasant contrast in style. I will be looking out for more recordings by this band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas music with .... recorders !, 17 Dec 2013
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I showed no interest in music at school, perhaps because I was forced to sing, and later, for a while, forced to play a recorder. I did both very badly. Only after setting up on my own did I start showing any interest in music, and then only as a radio listener. A lot has changed since then, but I never actually thought much of recorders anyway as it always seemed to me that clarinets (for example) had more to offer. I bought this album knowing that it was an old-timey album of folk music, but not realizing at the time that the main musical instruments are two recorders. There is a female singer up front, but there are some instrumental tracks too. While there are other instruments in the background, the recorders are the primary instruments. No hiding place, then, for these very mundane instruments that have so little to offer .... or so I thought. I have to concede that the results are impressive to say the least.

I could quibble about Huron being in Canada, therefore not part of the British Isles, therefore track 2 doesn't qualify for inclusion unless its ancestry can be traced further back, and I could quibble about one or two other things if I set my mind to it, but those recorders have blown all that way. Even if, like I was, you have doubts about what recorders can do, then give this album a chance, just as long as you have some interest in great music presented in a simple, melodic form.

5.0 out of 5 stars On A Cold Winter's Day (Early Christmas And Carols From The British Isles, 4 Jan 2013
I usually order one or two Christmas music CDs each year, not the standards carol collections. This CD is certainly not from the run-of-the-mill category. It has some very engaging music from the Celtic fringes and has been a delight to play several times. Its attractive CD presentation design is a bonus. A pleasing find this season!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 July 2014