Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio DownloadChange

on 11 October 2014
This book opens and closes in Las Vegas. In between, there is a lot of action on both sides of the Atlantic.

David Raker has a habit of sticking his nose in where it is not wanted and he excels himself in this breathless thriller. It begins 'proper' with metropolitan Raker far from his London beat in his parents' old cottage on the South Devon Coast. He is recuperating from a near fatal stab wound in the stomach and he is joined in his hideaway by Healey the former police officer who got involved in his last two cases.

The quiet life of the village is disrupted when a body is found on the beach and Raker's quiet life is interrupted when his childhood sweetheart turns up and asks him to find her family. Her sister's family of four has disappeared and the resting Raker is drawn into the search for the family. In the process he gets in the wrong side of Rocastle the chief investigating officer of in charge of the investigation of the 'body on the beach'.

I have read the three previous Raker books and like them this is a fast paced exciting thriller. Raker takes on the dark forces alone, Healey goes back to London and Rocastle is less than helpful as Raker begins to follow a convoluted trail. His investigation leads him to make discoveries that are uncomfortable for sinister and powerful forces with predictable consequences.

All of the Raker novels, so far, have been gripping and exciting reads with fast moving unpredictable plots. This one has all those ingredients too. At times though some extra suspension of disbelief will help you speed through the story. A good read.
on 2 October 2014
This is the 4th book in the David Raker series. I haven't read any of the previous 3 but I don't think it made much difference to my enjoyment. There were references to previous events & Raker's relationship with Healy, an ex-policeman, obviously had its roots in stories that I hadn't read but overall I think I got away with reading it as a stand alone.
The start of this book is very confusing. There are two seemingly unlinked threads going on for over 150 pages before the author finally provides the reader with any link. One in the casino world of Las Vegas and the other in the south west of England. Obviously I knew the link would turn up eventually but I was starting to get a bit fed by around page 100. Some earlier indication would have been helpful.
This is quite a complex book with fast paced events taking place in England and USA. There are quite a few twists along the way with people seeming to change sides and then not or changing back again. It certainly isn't a relaxing read but one to keep you on your toes.
Raker is very definitely a loose cannon. I cannot believe that he got away with some of the things that he did. I also struggled with some conclusions to which he jumped along the way - yes they were correct but they were a little too stretched to be comfortable.
Having said all of that, there is a great deal about this book that was good and which I enjoyed. Yes, it was complex and confusing in places but the plot was original and the main characters had personality. Although it wasn't a "Can't put it down" sort of book, I certainly wanted to finish it and see what happened. I was slightly disappointed about the ending. The last couple of chapters were building up to a big reveal but as I had picked up on the author's clue quite some time previously, it came as no supsise to me. I am sure many readers felt the same.
Would I read another book in this series? Quite possibly.
on 23 July 2014
Tim Weaver is a best selling author in the UK, but Never Coming Back is his first release in North America.

Never Coming Back is actually the fourth book in Weaver's David Raker series. Raker, a former journalist, is now a missing persons investigator - indeed, he is driven by the need to 'find the lost.'

While visiting family in Devon, Raker is approached by an old girlfriend. She's heard about Raker's talents and wants to hire him as her sister and family have gone missing. More than missing - it's like they've disappeared. Everything in the house was left, including dinner on the table and the family dog - and not a trace of them since. The police investigation seems to have hit a dead end. Raker is intrigued by the case and agrees to look into it.

I admit to feeling slightly lost in the first few chapters as there are two seeming protagonists. Colm Healy is a retired Met officer who is living with Raker. Reference is made to past cases and occurrences in the beginning. However as the book progressed, I quickly caught up with who was who and realized that Raker was the lead. (But I found Healy obnoxious and abrasive and I wasn't quite sure of his role in this book. It would be interesting to read the past three books to see what has gone on before)

I too was hooked by the missing family. Where could they have gone? Taken or gone by their own decision?

Weaver tantalizingly includes italicized chapters from the past, starting eighteen months ago and moving forward until past and present meet. The first entry had me wondering how in the world this would tie in with the family's disappearance. The who is revealed, but the why is the largest part of the plot and definitely kept me guessing.

Weaver's plot is big and far reaching - the novel has two settings - England and Las Vegas. Weaver does a great job with bringing his settings to life. (I was fascinated with the abandoned village in England) Weaver's tale is dark and gritty, with a violent antagonist who is particularly chilling I thought a few of the plot twists were a bit far-fetched, but this didn't detract from my rapid page turning. The ending was great, with a last turn that I did not see coming. I appreciate being surprised in the final pages of a book.

I like Raker as a character, as well as the missing persons idea. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another book by this author. The fifth in the series, Fall From Grace, releases in the UK mid August
on 6 July 2014
Well this is clearly an author who lives up to all the hype! This was a writer who had simply passed me by. But then I came across this novel at a bargain basement price and after reading the first few pages decided I just had to buy a copy. This really was a good purchase.
The story concerns an unusual missing persons case where an actual family of four vanish from their Devon home. The dinner is cooking on the stove, the television has been left on and even the pet dog is wandering around the house.There's no sign of forced entry, burglary or foul play. After a few months, the police investigation runs out of steam and because no apparent crime seems to have been perpetrated it eventually becomes a cold case. It's at this stage where David Raker (a private investigator) is asked to re-examine the evidence - especially has he's made a career out of finding missing persons.
I found it a slow-burner for the first thirty or so pages but then things really heated up and I soon got to a 'couldn't put it down' stage. Yes, it's gripping, atmospheric and tense and is one of the best British mysteries I've read in a long time. Although the story wasn't totally original, the plot had enough twists and turns to keep me guessing - so I think it's certainly worthy of my four stars.
After finishing Never Coming back, I was very pleased to find that this is actually the fourth thriller in the David Raker series but I understand that they can be read out of sequence. With this in mind I will definitely be searching out more of Tim Weaver's back catalogue.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
"Never Coming Back" is the fourth novel in Tim Weaver's "David Raker" series of missing person thrillers -- and what a cracker it is, too! Throughout this serious to date, Tim Weaver's prose style is never less than masterly and this is repeated once again with this new volume (assuming the couple of occurrences of the word "chute" mysteriously appearing as "shoot" to be an editorial rather than authorship slip). The weaknesses in the author's earlier books -- especially "Chasing the Dead" and "The Dead Tracks" -- generally lay in poor (and, it has to be said, at times quite preposterous) story lines. Each new book however has shown a steady improvement in this regard; with this latest volume, the author demonstrates beyond all doubt that he has this aspect of his writing well and truly under control now; "Never Coming Back" has all of its elements balanced to perfection. In this latest book, Weaver has constructed a mystery that is satisfyingly complex without sinking into silliness or incredulity, and that is gritty and violent without ever descending into gratuitous goriness. There is one slight over-stretching of credibility perhaps -- a wrinkle too many, really -- in one of the plot's various twists but overall the story plays out well and the book makes for a gripping read from start to finish.

In addition to learning how to construct credible plots, the author has also fully mastered the art of timing and pacing and he does an excellent job here of keeping his reader dangling from a variety of hooks as each carefully constructed revelation unfolds. Those readers who have arrived at this novel via its immediate predecessor, "Vanished", will particularly appreciate the superb cunning of the opening few chapters, as Weaver strings out the resolution of the earlier book's somewhat ambiguous ending in an agonisingly suspenseful way. The principals' back-stories are also handled well in this volume; readers familiar with them are never subjected to lengthy or unnecessary recaps and yet those who have not read any of the earlier books should never feel that they are missing something.

If the book does have a fault is it that Colm Healey's role in the story never really crystalises in any conclusive way but I suspect that most readers will not be too bothered by this and will be happy to accept this as a minor niggle.

In summary, this is an absolutely top-notch thriller of the grittier variety, which extends this series in a clever as well as entertaining manner. I recommend it very highly indeed. At this rate the next in the series, "Fall From Grace", will be stupendous!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Upon finishing Vanished I immediately started reading Never Coming Back and finished it after just a few hours. Let's just say that after the ending of Vanished there was no way I could wait to read Never Coming Back! It was a case of being fortunate enough to already have a copy of book number four, I don't know how I would have coped if I'd've finished book number three when it was released and had to wait a year for this one!

It's difficult to talk about this book without spoiling it for those yet to read number three but book four finds Raker away from London putting himself back together after the events of Vanished. He finds himself back in his childhood home and immediately I was wary as it was clear this book wasn't going to be set in London. At the start this disappointed me but after a few chapters I absolutely loved the setting and was hooked on the story.

Raker's old friend Emily calls upon him for help into her sister's disappearance. When Emily goes to see her sister her house has been abandoned, food is still cooking, computers are still on and a carton of milk has been dropped on the floor, but the family are nowhere to be found. What's happened to them? Reluctantly Raker takes on the case and as always nobody said it was going to be easy...

Raker has 'help' in the form of Colm Healy who regular readers will know of by now. This help doesn't last for long however before Healy is headed back to London. At the same time Raker is looking for Emily's sister and her family there is a side story in the village after a dismembered body is found down on the beach, who is it and does it bear any significance in the disappearance of Emily's family? Raker thinks so but as he digs deeper and uncovers more clues he finds himself in danger. Just another day in the office for Raker...

It's hard to talk about the story without ruining it but safe to say this is one of the best Raker books yet and once again I was left guessing until the very end. The setting was absolutely perfect for this story, again Weaver took liberties with some aspects of the setting but again it was to improve the story and it definitely did that. I am just disappointed that I now have to wait impatiently for book number five which cannot come quick enough!
on 19 April 2014
Weaver never fails to leave me having horrid nightmares after his books. He often depicts the worst parts of human nature within history and creates a story.

His writing style was perfect for me. While Weaver often uses the word "killed" a little too much (often to do with stopping the engine of a car), I find his way of writing an easy one to flow with. His detail is undeniable, and while he leaves the reader with the ability to imagine what is happening for his or herself, he will subtly direct the reader to see what he or she has to see for the story to make sense.

His characters are also well constructed. David Raker is a believable, realistic character with a complex structure of emotions. As I read through the book, I felt genuine concern for Raker.
My personal favourite is Healy. I love his character. It is far more complex than Raker's and yet so much more subtle. We hardly see Healy through this book, and that I was rather saddened by.

This particular story was one I found hard to grasp. I feel a writer's duty is to understand that not all audiences will have the knowledge required to "get it"...That said, perhaps it is not a reflection on the author if you didn't understand the book, perhaps it is simply a reflection of your gaps in your history.

I knew enough to understand the story to a certain extent, but if anything, trying to suss it out made it even better. I felt like I was on the same level as the characters when I did understand what was going on. Despite that, I wish I had known more so I could feel this way throughout the book.

It is an amazing thriller. One that, if anything, drew me away from sleep. I have just read "vanished" and I have only recently recovered from that trauma!

Read it, but first, read up on your history!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
It's five months after VANISHED. David Raker has split from Liz and is recuperating from his wounds at his cottage in Devon. Colm Healy's staying with him. When a body is washed up on a nearby beach, Healy wants to investigate but Raker's more reluctant and it isn't long before the crime has driven a wedge between the men. But Raker can't refuse when ex-girlfriend Emily Kane asks him to investigate the disappearance of her sister Carrie and her whole family almost a year earlier, leaving their whole house in the middle of making dinner. There's been no activity on their bank accounts or credit cards and there's been no contact at all.

Raker's investigation pulls him into a sinister cover-up that's lasted for decades and crosses continents - a cover-up that someone will do anything to maintain ...

This is the fourth in Tim Weaver's DAVID RAKER SERIES, which I hadn't realised when I picked up a copy at the airport for a trip. However, there's enough information in the opening chapters to work out what's happened before and the novel is self-standing so you don't have to worry about complicated backstories. I found it an easy read that kept me turning the pages, although I did see some of the twists coming and some of the things that the villain does really strained credibility for me at times. Raker's a driven investigator with a complicated life but I was disappointed that his friendship with the broken Healy fizzles away without any real resolution after the first third. However, it was a decent enough read for me to be interested in checking out the earlier books and Weaver's other books.

It's difficult to summarise the plot without spoilers. I like the way Weaver brings in elements of history into the plot and would have liked to see more interaction with the villain to bring that out more and humanise them. Fundamentally the story does turn on coincidence and people being in the wrong place at the wrong time but Weaver handles this well so that it doesn't feel contrived. I enjoyed the way the plot comes back to Raker's personal history and his relationships with old and current friends and it's also refreshing to have a character who recognises his own flaws.

Ultimately this is a solid read and I'm interested to read more.
on 14 November 2013
When I read the blurb of this novel I was very excited. I thought this is the sort of novel that I will enjoy. However, when I started I was slightly confused, the crime scene presented within the first few chapters did not match the blurb I had read which lead me to be slightly confused. But soon things begin to come together and the mystery of the family that went missing comes into focus.

The first half of the book confused me slightly due to the shifting of narrators, but once you get used to this you begin to enjoy the different points of view and stories taking place. However, in the second half of the book the narrator is David Raker alone, which lead me to being slightly confused about the actual reasoning for the switching narration in the first half.

Despite these issues I had at the beginning I loved this book! I loved the mystery, and it wasn't a 'who's done it' style of novel which can become slightly 'samey' once you have read a few. No, 'Not Coming Back' is a novel which builds up the layers as you go through the book. We learn more about the lives of all the characters and the entanglements they have to one another. Why has Emily's family gone missing? Why is there a trail of bodies that do not connect? What do all these people know that has resulted in their deaths?

I loved this mystery, though I was slightly disappointed in the reasoning behind all the murders and why Emily's family were taken. But I must admit that this is the first murder mystery I have read that came to this conclusion, which for me made it unique. But I must confess I haven't read that many books of this genre despite my enjoyment of them.

I have never read any of Tim Weavers novels and thus this was my first David Raker novel. But through glimpses of what had happened, or what I assumed happened in Tim Weavers previous David Raker novel 'Vanished' it has made me add Tim Weavers previous novels to my wish list. This is a author that I have already recommended to my friends and family.

Despite the slightly negative comments I had at the beginning I still loved this novel and found that once I got a few chapters in I did not want to put the novel down! The small chapters made it even harder to put the novel down, and I found myself finishing the novel at 2am after getting engrossed when I picked it up from the half way point.

4 out of 5
on 18 October 2013
This was a gripping thriller that, from about half way in, I could not put down. I had to find out what had happened to the family and why.

The story is told mainly in the first person by David Raker and starts in 2007 in Las Vegas where he meets an old friend from school, but, after chatting for a little while, his friend disappears and he never sees him again.

Back to the present now and Raker is recuperating in his parents old cottage by the seaside, after being stabbed five months ago, when a body is found on the beach. Then he meets his teenage sweetheart, they hadn't seen each other for 24 years, and she asks for his help in finding her missing family.

The story again goes back a couple of years to a family meeting a doctor and the mother notices a photograph that the doctor owns.

The story goes back and forth between these two different timelines and I found these teasing chapters a little confusing but, as the plot thickens, it all gradually starts to make sense.

The story features a psycopath, an abandoned village that had almost disappeared into the sea, anonymous phone calls, old photographs, Las Vegas high rollers, a stolen laptop.

David Raker was very observant and good at reading people......

"Sometimes the clearest picture of a person came from the smallest things: the way he'd set his pen and paper down parallel to one another pointed towards a meticulous mind; the way he'd torn out the last notes in the pad - as if to keep them away from prying eyes - suggested a suspicious one too."

The writing was detailed and compelling, the characters were interesting and, after a slow start, never boring.