5.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner
I had never heard of Tim Weaver before, and when I read the blurb on receipt of the book from Real Readers, I thought it was my type of book.I am now a total fan. At first, although the characters, places and scenes were well depicted, (Weaver isn't shy about using adjectives,) I found it quite slow. I am not a fan of action shifting from place to place or time to time,...
Published 15 months ago by ann@willers100.freeserve.co.uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Page-turning thriller
A family disappears suddenly, leaving dinner cooking on the stove and their dog wandering round the house. Some months later the police investigation has come to a dead end and the remaining member of the family (the missing mother's sister) calls in an old school friend who is a private investigator. He has troubles of his own, but takes the case on anyway. Soon he...
Published 15 months ago by CuteBadger

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Never Coming Back, 17 Dec 2013
Keen Reader "lhendry4" (Auckland, New Zealand) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is the fourth in the series involving David Raker, who has found himself searching out missing people. It's the first I have read, so I'm reading them out of order, but I don't feel I missed out on anything by doing so. I shall be going back to read the remainder of the series.

The story starts in 2007, when David Raker is in Las Vegas on assignment as a journalist. Quite by chance, he meets an old school friend who he hasn't seen for nearly twenty years. And the same evening, he's warned off by a man who isn't used to being questioned. In 2012, Colm Healy, retired from the Met police is finding a new life in the quiet of Devon. But that peace is about to be shattered when a local boy finds a dead body on the beach. And we learn that David Raker has found a new purpose in his life now. All this, and we're only up to page 40!

The narrative shifts from first person, as David Raker, to third person for other parties in the book. But the bulk of the story is from the perspective of David, as he searches for a missing family. The missing family is just the tip of the iceberg of what is out there waiting to be found, in a story that spans decades and continents. The action is fast-paced, the characters are clearly delineated, and some of the narrative is fairly brutal as these men are playing for keeps. But the story rattles along at a fair pace, and keeps the reader well entertained. Definitely recommended for a good thriller read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it., 2 Dec 2013
Bit hard to get into at the beginning but then Wow!! great story line, couldn't leave it down. Glad I persevered with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant plot, 16 Oct 2013
David H J Ashdown (Wales) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Cleverly interwoven plot starting with the mysterious disappearance of a family from their home leaving the cooker on and the dog wandering about , links to Las Vegas and dark history going back many decades and a series of plausible coincidences make for very exciting reading. A fast gripping plot culminating in a brilliant twist on the last page make this a thoroughly enjoyable read. One of the best thrillers I've read this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Tim Weaver, 8 Oct 2013
I used to be an avid reader but since my son was born 9 years ago I've not had as much time as I used to have. When I do pick up a book now it has to be a good one for me to spend my precious time reading it and over the last few years I have struggled to find anything to keep me captivated. Tim Weaver has done the trick. I had not heard of him before but this book was on offer so I bought it and for the first time in a long time I struggled to put a book down. Other people have described the book in detail far better than I ever could so I won't try but I highly recommend this one, and I will be getting his others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Am liking Tim Weaver more and more, 6 Oct 2013
V. Callcut - See all my reviews
Have downloaded all of his work now. Fast pace, short chapters so you can pick up and put down without having to re-read the last chapter. Excellent value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 4 Oct 2013
Awesome read had me hooked on page one. I have not read Tim Weaver before but I am already a fan and will be downloading his other books

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not put this book down, 26 Sep 2013
Not my usual read at all but a few of us decided to read this as our first book club read.
Brilliant book well written and so many twists and turns. It certainly kept you on the edge of your seat at times.
I will be reading more of Tim's books

3.0 out of 5 stars thriller for the holidays, 4 Sep 2013
Tip top thriller of over 500 pages ideal for a holiday read. The story is a detective looking for a missing family who will not give up despite obstacles being put in his way as old secrets are uncovered , The story does take some time to get going and at times you have to concentrate remember what has happened previously but before long the book begins to come together , Ifs. If you like a hearty read this is recommended but best to be read in long sittings rather than to dip in and out of

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling!, 30 Aug 2013
This is the first Tim Weaver novel I have read and I was not disappointed.
At first, I thought the first few chapters were very disjointed, but as I continued to read through the book I understood the relevance of this in bring certain elements of past events and there bearing on the story written.
The novel is set in two contrasting areas the quiet peaceful areas of Devon and flashy, glitzy area of Las Vegas. Tim Weaver's description of both areas are very life like and without going overboard gives the reader an insight into the environment, sights and sounds. I particularly liked the way he described the desolated village and weather which gave an atmospheric air to the story.
The main character David Raker is an investigative journalist who is recovering from a brutal attack from which he nearly died, but when he is contacted by an old friend, Emily Ling, to find out what happened to her family, who went missing in very mysterious circumstances, he finds himself compelled to help and investigate their disappearance.
David Raker comes across as a really genuine caring guy who basically has nothing to gain except the satisfaction of knowing he has helped others find their missing loved ones.
The characteristic traits of the other characters that feature are also well described some dark and sinister, others menacing, greedy, depressed and disheartened giving the readers an array of individual qualities and personalities.
As I said at the beginning the first few chapters were disjointed but as the story unfolds Weaver uses this method excellently to go from the present to the past. This I feel enhances the context to help the readers understand the relevance of what and how things happened in the past, have impacted and affected the present circumstances in the novel.
Raker delves into the past events and uses an array of methods, some unconventional and some illegal to help him solve the mystery of the families disappearance. Unfortunately, in doing so he puts himself into grave danger as his investigation unfolds.
Weaver has portrayed some historical facts within the story to enhance the plot and there are so many twists and turns throughout the chapters to add to the overall suspense and tension. There is even a surprising twist at the end
Overall an imaginative story excellently executed to provide a very enjoyable page turning novel. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loving David Raker...., 29 Aug 2013
Liz Wilkins "Lizzy11268" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Thank you kindly to the author, publisher and Netgalley.

Well, I have been waiting for this one - Tim Weaver's series about Missing Persons Investigator David Raker is one of the best series out there at the moment - and considering the plethora of great crime fiction currently available that is saying something. But its nothing less than the truth.

In this instalment, David is recovering from his previous case and is living a quiet life in rural Devon. When an old friend of his asks him to investigate the disappearance of an entire family David is drawn once more into the world of the missing. As he digs deeper what he finds is disturbing and dangerous...

The novels are tagged as "David Raker Thrillers" but I always feel that "David Raker Mystery" would be more appropriate - the mystery element, as always, reigned supreme. Thats not to say they are NOT thrilling, they very much are - the action sequences are indeed edge of the seat stuff, especially as Mr Weaver makes no promises about the safety of any of his characters - yet still for me, the intricate plot weaving and attention to detail within those plots are very much what make these novels as good as they are.

I do adore David Raker for his tenacity. What he does is more than a job to him, its a calling. Despite the dangerous path many of his cases take he won't give them up. Not even for love. The "I am who they have" attitude to those he tries to find is what drives him...when everyone else has given up on ever finding you, David Raker will not. If I were to have a missing loved one I would hope that someone like him were around. His character has evolved over the series beautifully - you could almost call him an Anti hero. If the law fails he will do whatever it takes to succeed - in this novel again he's treading on toes, getting in the way and generally causing problems, for himself as much as anyone - but he'll do what it takes. Sometimes at a huge cost...

Another terrific side of these books is the villains are always extremely villainous but somehow terribly realistic - you could easily imagine them out there in the world - you won't find anyone twirling a moustache here, the bad guys are truly bad in a very entertaining and often horrific way.

You will be intrigued from the outset - The Marie Celeste style disappearance will immediately have you wondering...and thats it, you are hooked. And probably won't stop reading until the end.

In the case of the Raker books I would highly recommend that you read them from the start, in order. Its not that you couldnt pick any one of them up and be perfectly happy, I just feel that Raker himself is a character who develops in such a way that you will miss out on the nuances if you havent been with him from the start. Which would be "Chasing The Dead".

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›