5.0 out of 5 stars A Little ( More) Night Music
Agnes Obel's 2010 debut 'Philharmonics' was one of my most-loved albums
of that year. I can find no good reason at all to abandon her with the arrival
of her new release 'Aventine'. There are eleven numbers in the collection.
Her inimitably haunting voice can make the hair stand up on the back of your
neck. By turns cold as a mountain stream and warm...
Published 15 months ago by The Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
I quite like this but not as much as Julia Holters' "Loud City Songs".
Published 2 months ago by georgehubertwilkins.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Little ( More) Night Music, 30 Sep 2013
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Agnes Obel's 2010 debut 'Philharmonics' was one of my most-loved albums
of that year. I can find no good reason at all to abandon her with the arrival
of her new release 'Aventine'. There are eleven numbers in the collection.
Her inimitably haunting voice can make the hair stand up on the back of your
neck. By turns cold as a mountain stream and warm as a comfortable, treasured,
well-worn sweater, it envelops you in its mysterious embrace. Dreamlike and
utterly beautiful. This is truly a recording to welcome in with open arms!

As in her past work, these piano-led compositions, embellished by occasional
additional instrumentation, subdued percussion and strings weave a glorious
web of sound around her mesmerising vocal performances. Comparisons with some
of Tori Amos' finest moments might not be unwarranted, especially on inventions
such as the exquisite waltz-time title track but Ms Obel is nevertheless the
sole Mistress of her melancholy muse. These are songs to listen to by moonlight.

Standout tracks include the gently flowing and utterly sublime 'Dorian' with
its beautifully tempered vocal harmonies; the curiously bluesy tick-tock of
time passing and mournful cello obligato on 'The Curse' and the delightful
piano miniature 'Tokka', which coming in to land at just a minute and a half
is a little tune of which the Czech composer Janacek might well have been proud.

'Aventine' is a tantalising, magical and utterly unmissable experience.

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of ethereal beauty, 30 Sep 2013
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Aventine (Audio CD)
I must admit to never having heard of Agnes Obel before until a friend pointed me in her direction at the weekend, warning me to look out for the release of this album. So I downloaded it this morning and have now listened to it 3 times in a row. It is truly a thing of haunting beauty, quite challenging in places but a delightful piece of work. Predominantly all you have is Ms Obel's soulful voice accompanied by Piano and the odd string instrument, the double bass being particularly effective. There are a couple of tracks that are purely solo piano, to my ears in the style of Erik Satie, and this quietly insistent style is also to be found on many of the vocal tracks. I love it, but it may not appeal to all. It IS very understated, there are no uptempo numbers, indeed tracks like "Run Cried The Calling" and "the Curse" are decidedly creepy but on the whole this is a very effective album of mood music and if you "get" it, you will love it as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine (but maybe darker and not so immediate) follow up, 1 Oct 2013
Mr. Stephen H. Lyall (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aventine (Audio CD)
Philharmonics was a great album featuring beautiful little piano melodies and that understated almost eerie vocal but whereas that album had a number of upbeat numbers amongst its content I believe this album to be just as beautiful but possessing a consistently darker edge. I feel it is not as immediate as the debut album but maybe needs a few plays to reveal its true worth. Anyone who bought the debut album will I'm sure appreciate this follow up as it is in the same vein. There are 3 lovely short instrumental piano tracks included - chord left, tokka and fivefold. There are also a couple of tracks where piano does not appear to feature but is probably there somewhere in the background. The title track is one of those and is a bit of a departure from the norm. My present favourite is fuel to fire but a different song slowly reveals its delights with each play. The album is completed with Smoke and mirrors which is an older song which featured on an earlier release and was included as a live version on the deluxe Philharmonics. All in all a lovely recording with Anne Muller again providing complimentary accompaniment on cello and violin to great effect. If it doesn't quite make its mark initially stick with it and I'm sure you will be rewarded eventually as I was.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Album, 21 Oct 2013
This review is from: Aventine [VINYL] (Vinyl)
After buy 10" single "The Curse", finally the full album "Aventime" was delivered.
It's a mix of classical and ethereal songs, with very delicate vocals, making the musical experience very special.
The vinyl edition has a very good sound quality, and beautiful insert sleeve with lyrics. Include a CD with full album,

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Aventine (Audio CD)
Loved the theme to Shetland on the TV and became interested when I heard Riverside, if you like that then you will like this. Magical.

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Aventine (MP3 Download)
Obel has a lovely, etheral and evocative sound, without being wishy-washy or insipid. A brilliant talent. I'll probably get her other CDs too.

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favourite Album, 11 April 2014
R D DAVIES (Cardiff, South Glamorgan United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aventine (MP3 Download)
I love the simple haunting tunes on this album - the music fires my imagination and I don't think I will ever tire of hearing it

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark sounds of autumn, 5 Oct 2013
This review is from: Aventine (Audio CD)
Aventine is a more mystic and far darker than Philharmonics - which make her second album even more beautiful and interesting to me.
Aventine sounds like autumn - a long fascinating journey through dark nordic landscapes. Worth mentioning the haunting "Fuel to Fire" the melancholic "Dorian" - and my favorite "The Curse" - which is rather a blessing...

5.0 out of 5 stars atmospheric, and pure..., 25 Sep 2014
This review is from: Aventine (Audio CD)
Via via someone gave me a copy of this record, I was so impressed that I bought the vinyl edition (which comes with a free cd as well in the sleeve). Let keep this short and sweet. It has been a long time ago that I have heard something so beautiful, pure and atmospheric!
This album serves the autumn well, (although I played it all summer - especially at night). It is so nice to know that there are still some young musicians out there who are keeping it pure and real ! Personally I have been waiting for something like this for ages. Thank you Agnes Obel and everybody who worked on this beautiful piece of music/art.

5.0 out of 5 stars Agnes Obel is a natural, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: Aventine (MP3 Download)
My knowledge of Agnes was zero until I heard a snippet on the radio. I followed it up and downloaded Aventine and it's so refreshingly different. There's no substitute for talent.

Aventine