Format: Vinyl|Change

vgood
on 5 November 2014
Brill
on 31 December 2013
The fact that this was considered for and then released as a single is woefully unfortunate. I appreciate the humour. I even appreciate the Neil-in-character lyrics like "drinking teas with Tony Benn" (the Guardian and the BBC will like it.) What I don't appreciate is possibly a mediocre throwaway b side from 1994 (which is what it is comparable to,) being lauded as the best track on the "Electric" album to download. "Electric" for me is the best album they have done in 20 years. It is sadly marred by having this garbage right in the middle of it. I appreciate that it will have cost money to commission an orchestra and Michael Nyman to recreate the melody from "the Draftsman's contract" or "Chasing sheep is best lefts to shepherds" but to shoe horn it in to an album of dance and atmospheric classics (and believe me its otherwise up there with Introspective,) irrespective of the feel of the album, is poor choice indeed.

Stuart Price is such a fan and has done a good job in bringing out the best in them, but I can't help wondering why this track was not replaced by one of the b sides "Get it online" or "Entschuldigung" which are both Kraftwerkian and excellent.