4.0 out of 5 stars LG G2!! What a Revelation !! ( Updated Review 07 May 2014 )
Please find my updated thoughts on the phone at the end of the review. Thanks
--------------------------------------

Published 7 months ago by J. Choudhry

1.0 out of 5 stars If you would like to play in lottery you could buy it
If you would like to play in lottery you could buy it. Bad quality product.
My was broken after seven months. I have installed official OTA update, after that touch screen just stopped working.
The service diagnosed that phone has a physical problem with motherboard and refused to repair it under warranty.
This is completely nonsense. The device has been...
Published 1 month ago by Sergey Ignatov

4.0 out of 5 stars LG G2!! What a Revelation !! ( Updated Review 07 May 2014 ), 28 Jan 2014
J. Choudhry (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: LG G2D802 16GB Sim Free Android Phone - UK Version, Black (Electronics)
Please find my updated thoughts on the phone at the end of the review. Thanks
--------------------------------------

LG noooo way!!!! yes thats what we all end up saying once someone mentions LG to us . Everyone gets so much put off when they hear about LG and mobile phones. And guess what i plunged into the LG pond a few weeks ago and honestly dont feel like i made the wrong choice. I have spent enough time with the G2 to share my thoughts with the wider community and I am going to rate the phone in Five major areas ( the most important to an average consumer ).

Build Quality 4/5 :

The very first thing that grabs your attention is the screen and the way its been made to fit with no bezels ( or hardly any bezels ) & it just adds to the beauty of the phone.The body is made from plastic or polycarbonate in a typical Korean way ( more or less like Samsung Galaxy S4 ) but fits well underneath that beautiful screen.The power button and volume rocker is at the back of the phone just underneath the camera.They fit well and have a nice feeling to them when you use them & you eventually get used to of using them. I have read and also heard some people complaining about the cracking sound that the body makes when you push it in certain ways. Yes thats true but its not something which bothers me much as i am not gonna push the body hard with my fingers or palm. Why the hell would you do that in the first place anyway. I did use the phone without a case for the first few days and never heard no cracking sound. Yes when you push it hard around the edges and with your fingers in certain areas around the back then you do hear a cracking sound. But that holds true for Samsung Galaxy phones as well. In fact it is true for any phone made from plastic as plastic is a flexible material and it can make cracking sounds.So people stop worrying about the build quality as there is nothing wrong with it and there is no need to start returning your phone just because it makes cracking sounds. The phone is made to last and most people will buy a case anyway so its a pointless discussion. Overall i am very satisfied with the build quality and please stop comparing it with HTC One (which i still own ) as that phones build quality is simply outstanding and G2 can not match that.

Screen 5/5 :

This damn screen is a real treat to watch.Its an IPS LCD with Gorilla Glass 2.I have always been a fan of IPS LCD type of screens as colors on them are more natural compared to Super AMOLED types which are just a bit too overstaurated for my liking.It matches HTC Ones Screen ( Industry leading ) quality with style even though it only has 424 ppi ( a bit less then HTC Ones 469 ppi ). But putting both the phones together it was so hard for me to pick up the better screen as human eye can simply not pick up the Pixels at such a high resolution of 1080P. G2 screen is slightly bigger at 5.2" but still the phones body measures the same as HTC One ( 4.7" screen size ) and Galaxy S4 ( 5" screen size ). They have manage to do it by reducing the bezels and stretching the screen to all four corners. Results are outstanding and you have a screen which matches the size of the very first Galaxy Note ( 5.2" ). Few years ago we could never imagine holding the screen size equivalent to that of the Galaxy Note in a smaller body. The screen also has a Knock-ON feature which enables you to turn the phone on & off just by double tapping on it.Knock-ON occassionally needs more then a few taps on the screen but 98% of the time works flawlessly. An update from LG is on the way and hopefully it will make it work even better then before. The colors on the screen are flawless and very natural.Its one of the best screens i have seen out of the many phones that i have owned over the last few years. Screen is one of the two biggest factors for me buying this phone. Read on and lets see if you can spot my second favourite thing on the LG G2.

Peformance 4.5/5 :

LG G2 is powered by the latest and greatest Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 chipset running at 2.27 GHz & backed up by 2GB RAM. Peformance as we can expect is fluid,smooth,responsive and very fast. In some ways its shocking because i never expected LG to come out with a phone like the G2. They have come from no where and just produced a hell of a phone with great performance. I know they had phones like Optimus G and Optimus G Pro but them phones never took off the way G2 did. Obviously marketing did help LG in a lot of ways but marketing alone G2 is an exeptionally innovative and different phone from the likes of Galaxy set of phones. Firstly Knock-On is a show stealer and i use it everyday. The funny thing is that sometimes i use my knuckles to switch the screen on ( for checking messages ) specially when i am eating. You get so used to of this that you find it hard to adjust to pushing the buttons again to switch the screen on. It kinda spoils you lol if you know what i mean. LG skin on top of 4.2.2 is full of features and so much so that you start to think that it will effect the peformance of the phone. But amazingly the phone hardly lags or stutters ( occasionally it does in the widgets section or here & there sometimes but it is very managable and doesnt ruin your overall experience). All apps run smoothly and heavy games like GT Racing 2,Robocop,Deer Hunter,Real Racing 3 & many more run with no problems at all. Phone is fully packed with many many features ( like a top end Galaxy phone ) but still runs better then a Galaxy S4 ( i have lived with an S4 as well ). All in all performace is brilliant and with the 4.4.2 KitKat update due sometime in March things will only get better. I will update my review like my other reviews accordingly.

Camera 4.5/5 :

The camera on the LG G2 is very good if not the best. Its a 13MP Camera with OIS ( Optical Image Stablization ). I am not a fan of OIS on the G2 as it doesnt work as flawlessly as LG say it does. I generally have to rely on a steadier hand rather then OIS for my shots to be clear and accurate. But once you have taken the shot the right way then the results are outstanding and the picture quality is amazing. Colors are very natural and they have a real feeling to them. The three buttons at the back can also be configured to your liking to take a photo. Any of the three buttons can be used as a shutter button for snaps. The camera can can also record 1080P video footage and day time recording is very clear and accurate. It does struggle on video in low light conditions though and the lens sometimes struggles to focus on objects which is a shame because LG could have done a better job on that. But i am sure its more to do with the software then the hardware itself & future updates should fix these minor flaws. Low light performace on the camera side is outstanding and i am going to go as far as to say that G2 is the only other phone which can match the might of HTC One in low light performance. If you are a photo enthusiast you will love the camera on this phone with only a few compromises ( soon to be fixed with future updates ) To help you make your mind up let me put it this way. I am enjoying the camera on the G2 more then i enjoyed it on my HTC One in the last 10 months specially cuz of the higher Mega Pixels on the camera and work done by LG. Enough said !!!! :-)

Battery 6/5 :

Yes its not a mistake people. I have given the battery 6 out of 5 same way as a loving husband would rate his wife when he is in love with her just to make her feel extra special lol. This is exactly how i feel about the LG G2. Battery on this phone is extra special and something which i have never experienced before and i am so much in love with it. I am totally and thorougly in love with the battery life of this phone. This phone can last me all day no matter what i do with it. My general usage includes Whtsapp,Viber,Facebook,listening to music for a couple of hours ,surfing the internet and reading tech articles for a good few hrs,few videos on YouTube and various other internet related activities. This kinda usage has the ability to drain any top end phone within 14 to 16 hours but not the G2. This monster can go on & on & on & on and by the time i get to bed it will still have 40% battery life left. On few occassions i refused to charge it up to see how far it would take me into the second day. It did a marvelous job on standy times on that night ( by hardly draining the battery.... only 1% in 8 hours reminding me of the Sonys Battery Stamina Mode on my former Xpeira Z but G2 does it by default without turning on any battery saver feature ) and slept so very well. How did LG manage to do all this and acheive excellence is beyond belief. So much so that this phone has beaten Galaxy Note 3 in Phoneareans battery power test and has been declared the longest lasting top-shelf smartphone they ever tested. Please note that Note 3 ( 3200 mAh ) has a bigger battery as compared to the G2 ( 3000 mAh ) and still G2 managed to beat it. I am not going to into technical details here as it will confuse most people. Long story short G2 has the best battery life then any Android smartphone available in the UK ( Oppo N1 is the only other phone i know has bettered this result but its not officially available in the UK). Personally speaking i have never owned a modern smartphone with this kind of mind boggling and out of this world battery life and this my friends is the second of the two favourite killer features on this phone which made me buy the LG G2. I am married to the battery life of this phone and not looking to divorce it anytime soon.

Its not possible to discuss every single aspect of the phone specially the feautures. I have tried to keep everything as simple as possible to help people of all age groups. If you have any questions about the review or the phone then please feel free to contact me and i will try my best to answer your questions to the best of my abilities. I am a seasoned Android user and i am sure you can benefit from my knowledge and use it to your advantage. I will update this review once the updates start hitting the phone.Thanks
very much for taking the time to read my review.

Update 03 April 2014:
I received two minor updates in the last couple of days. One was approximately 50MB and the other around 20MB. Both updates were related to unnamed apps & I couldn't work out which apps got updated( updates never mentioned which apps ).But from my experience over the years with different phones I can tell that LG are optimising the core basic operating system apps before they launch the KitKat 4.4.2 update on the G2. It's a new approach I have seen with many vendors where they tend to update apps separately from the Operating system to reduce the upgrade times. I am also hearing and reading from various sources that KitKat is available on some network phones in the UK. It is supposed to be officially available in the UK but nothing on my sim free G2 so far.Anyways as soon as I receive KitKat I will update my review once again and let you guys know what's going on. Thanks

Update 14 April 2014:
Finally the much awaited KitKat 4.4.2 update came up on my phone a couple of days ago. I am happy to report that there is significant difference in the general speed of the phone. Its much more snappier then before and has been optimized further to give users a very pleasant experience. Battery life hasnt been effected and still lasts long just like before. Snapdragon 800 is still a very powerful processor and should be able to handle even future updates with ease. Longevity of the phone is not questionable at all from what i can see. LG have made hell of a phone and i am not looking to divorce it anytime soon. Infact battery life on this phone has made me respect LG for the kind of work they have done and i might even get the G3 once its released. To my surprise Knock-Code ( the new name for the advanced version of Knock-ON ) wasnt included in the update. The recent press releases from LG are positive and they will include Knock-Code in a future update very soon. Like always please ask me any questions that you may have and i will be more then happy to help. Thanks

Update 07 May 2014:
Received 22.01 MB update on my G2 little while ago. Was very curious to find out what it was ( suspected Knock-Code ) as it just stated enhancement to apps. After the update I found out that it indeed was Knock-Code which LG had promised like I said before. Just tested it & it works brilliantly. I have to admit that LG are making an impression here on me. I always wondered if there was a brand other then HTC which could give us customers a quality product ( after getting fed up with Galaxy phones cuz of bloatware & loads of issues with Touchwiz ). I always keep two phones & I think with timely updates + superb solid performance + exceptional battery life = the formula I was after. I am literally sold & seriously considering LG as my preferred brand over Samsung. I know you all are thinking about the old LG ( I have been there trust me ) but if this is the way they gonna come out then they can take my money any day. G3 ,G Smartwatch & much more ....Bring it on LG :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A different review?, 26 May 2014
Yes yes yes, heard most of it before so what can I add to the mix of reviews that might be useful? Below are points that were important to me or I thought others might find interesting.

Bought directly from Amazon and not seller as Amazon have a good reputation for returns on problems. Delivered promptly no problems at all.

Battery Question - will it last a day and an evening if I don't have a charger?
"all day play" will last for approx 6 hours with screen on constantly using WiFi, watching video, making calls, music, playing games, etc.
Normal average use "work day" Will allow phone calls emails texts, moderate browsing the odd game and facebook for 1n'half days. That's a full charge on a Monday morning to putting on charge Tuesday evening... so yes you are safe to go out for the day on a full charge and know you won't get caught out.
If you mainly use for texting and checking the time it will probably last a week or two. The battery is very good.

I have put one or two micro scratches on the screen after only 4 weeks, really hard to see but I know they are there. How did I do that! I've been so carefull! My advice: If you work in an environment that is dusty, carry with keys etc in pocket or you're a compulsive screen wiper (using your shirt) then get some screen protectors or a case.
Leading on from that I have the SPIGEN LG G2 Case Slim [Slim Armor] which I Will prob do a review for.

Software- over the past years of phones I have payed for apps from the market i.e. keyboard, launcher, sms, weather etc, but this is the first phone that actually works really well. Even some of the LG Bloatware is useful and I have abandoned most market apps for the stock. Also I don't feel there is a need to "Root" the phone.

This phone is described as a "phablet" cross between Phone and Tablet. My son has an iPad and for anyone that has been Wowed by the iPad they won't be disappointed by the LGG2. There's no lag or stutter, screen is bright and responsive. browsing the internet on Wi-Fi at home it's a pleasure (not got 4g yet) even 3g is faster because the processing power drives the apps efficiently. I can copy, paste, share from one application to the next with ease by sliding an application to the side to work on another, just like minimising on a pc.
An example of a previous gripe had been creating or editing a new contact quickly when they are stood in front of you "shall I just write it down for you, it'll be quicker". The process seemed to take so long, as opening up the contact list would take an age and finding the contact to edit and save etc, not so with the LG, it responds how you want it to, fast and intuitively. As a workhorse to replace a tablet or even a laptop it makes a viable alternative. I'm writing this using the memo pad and will paste it into amazon for the review.

Button placement? I use the Knock on feature so hardly use the power button. I downloaded a power off button to place on the main screen as tapping the status bar or finding a spare blank space was awkward. By doing that, I can easily use the phone flat on a desk. Volume is easy from the front too so the rear buttons are not an improvement or disadvantage, just different.
Jellybean had the volume and notification tied but the new kitkat firmware has sorted that problem out.

Memory? After loading it up with your essential apps you're down to about 10Ggb of space left. DONT PANIC, here's what makes android better than Apple or other fruits, if you take a lot of video or photos or have films you want to watch you can store them on an external drive or memory stick and view by simply plugging it into the phone (micro usb to usb adapter) I have an old 250gb 3.5" powered hard drive with a bunch of films on it and it works great. You can also buy micro usb memory sticks or dual ended sticks.
Ok, so you have films, photos, PowerPoint, documents to show on a TV, it can be done by swapping info from pc or memory via usb, but there is also WiFi option which works well once set up. With the media on the phone you can use "Miracast" to broadcast to tv via a dongle (untested) or use a "slimport" adapter that plugs into the micro usb slot with an hdmi adapter on the other to plug in the tv. Both allow you to show the media whilst doing something else (check Facebook maybe)
Using a usb adapter means you can plug a mouse, keyboard or even a ps2 controller (market software) to enhance the phone.
The screen is surprisingly watchable, I could never understand people wanting to watch films on a tiny screen. BUT the clarity and size makes it comfortably possible. I'd recommend headphones as the speakers don't meet the quality of the screen. The BBC iPlayer is a great resource and again, the pictures are stunning on this 1080p screen.

GPS is brilliant, got a fix fast and easily in the house (without view of sky) and using it with Google maps is very accurate with the arrow following my car movements perfectly.

Overall the upgrade to this phone feels like moving from Windows 98 to Windows 7, you still use the same programs that you always did but getting there is so much easier.
I'd like to be critical of this phone but the truth is, as with the majority of reviews, it's an amazing technological marvel.
It works really well as a business tablet and organiser and after your working day a great game and media player... oh and it can also operate the tv & set top box! No joke! I haven't put it down yet, I keep finding new features.

4.0 out of 5 stars LG back in the game, 24 May 2014
Reviewify.co.uk "Mark" (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
Length:: 4:31 Mins

After a number of rather average mobiles LG have finally produced an excellent phone in the LG G2. Kitted out with 2GB of RAM, a full HD 5.2" IPS display and a large battery the G2 is a powerhouse of a mobile.

LG have taken an interesting approach with the design of the G2, instead of having the power button on the top or side of the bezel it's round the back. This is very handy for those who don't have giant hands and means that anyone can press the button while holding the phone single handedly. Realising that this makes it awkward to check your phone when it's on a flat surface LG brilliantly came up with the KnockON system, just tap the screen twice and it's as if you've pressed the power button.

For a mobile this size it feels nice and light, partly due to the plastic construction. While the front looks great, LG have gone the same way as Samsung and used plastic on the back, giving this a cheap feel to it.

The screen is excellent, really clear and the large size makes playing games very satisfying. LG have added a number of their own apps and tweaks to get you started without having to download any apps, for example QSlid, a memo app, a notepad app, Voice Mate (voice commands like Siri/Google Now), File Manager etc. The LG G2 features an IR blaster allowing you to use it as a remote control for you TV/Stereo/Set top box, anything that has an IR remote. It's very easy to setup and works really well. If you happen to have a recent LG TV with a smart remote it can also act as a trackpad for your on on screen cursor.

With so many additional features LG have wisely added a screen that contains links to YouTube tutorial videos to explain what each feature does and how to use it. This is especially handy for features such as Guest Mode, explaining how to setup and use a mode that allows you to lock down your phone for a guest to use without them having full access to everything.

The 13MP camera is very good and comes with a number of modes to help you take the best photo possible. There is no camera button on the phone so you've got to make use of on screen controls.

A brilliant phone that misses out on 5 stars due to the use of plastic back which stops this feeling like the premium mobile it should be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pros and Cons of LG G2, 27 Oct 2013
V. S. Vasa "vijayvasa" (norwich , UK) - See all my reviews
LG G2 Pros

1) Screen whites are clear white and LCD screen is very good. Especially reading books and web you will see clear whites.

2) Knock on feature to lock and unlock is the most used feature and once you start using it , you will start thinking how good it is and may
be all android devices copy this feature. I actually started knocking other devices now and trying to mimic this feature on note 3 with some 3rd party apps and as you all know they are not the same and don't work that well.

3) Bluetooth sound on my planatronics voyager hd is better for some reason on G2. More clear and high volume.

4) Wifi and mobile signal is really good , more than note 3. I guess its atleast one bar more on G2. Call quality is also very good.

5) Single hand usage is really good and its almost a perfect device. (Almost perfect !!! -- reason in cons.)

6) Lots of customisation options like multi wallpaper, zooming in for sms windows and themes in G2 stock rom. I actually
give more marks to G2 stock launcher. G2 Keyboard is also good.

7) Battery life is really good. I use mobile devices to watch atleast 2 hours of video in a day and not a single day its completely finished.

8) Camera pics are really good in day light and good in night time when there is sufficient light.

9) Back buttons are also nice , some might prefer and some might not.

G2 Cons:

1) G2 looks beautiful from front, but back is ugly , plasticky , cheap and damn slippery. Reason almost perfect is because if they made the
back more textured or grippable , they would have sold may be more devices. I actually find handling note 3 easier sometimes as note 3
device textured back is really useful. People call samsung plastic, but note 3 build quality is really really good. LG back sometimes make a
creaking sound and if you drop I can guarantee that G2 will break rather than note 3 due to edge screen on G2. Actually I feel that I will
drop G2 more quickly than Note 3.

2) Inside the house the low light pics are horrible and full of noise. This surprised me and I am disappointed with camera on low light
pictures. One more thing I have noticed the G2 camera pictures sometimes have blue hue to the picture.

3) Video recording ,,,,, oh my dog ! Am not sure what to say about it, its bad, it keeps auto focusing every 2 seconds to a point where it
gets really annoying. Am note sure how this has gone through QA testing from the company. I was really looking forward for camera, but
my kids videos all have come really bad.

4) To my surprise even though the screen is crisp and clear and good for reading, I did not enjoy watching movies on LG G2 screen. I
guess am used to Amoled pure blacks while watching movies. And also if you just view the screen even with a little angle of 20 degrees ,
the viewing on screen becomes real bad.

5) Outdoor viewing is OK but not great.Screen is really shiny outdoors and am actually a bit surprised that outdoor visibility is not great
compared to HTC One or Note 3.

6) No sdcard and battery, I know its not a con for some people but after using lot of galaxy phone am kind of used to have all my books
and movies on sdcard. Convenience can sometimes be a con for people like me.

7) On screen buttons look ugly while playing some games. Some people prefer this but I dont.

8) G2 somehow feels heavy and its around 140 grams approximately.

9) I have been waiting for an OTA update for so long , but with past history of LG not doing software updates quick enough, I really have
some reservations about their record.

10) 16gb is the only version released in UK, where 10gb is left when opening up the mobile. Why oh Why !!!!

Conclusion: Overall LG G2 might be a turning point for LG if they really concentrate on timely software updates.

4.0 out of 5 stars Its a good phone, rather than a great phone., 4 Mar 2014
It's specifications mean that it is quick, has an amazingly crisp screen and can deal with your requests with no lag and can even multi task. It has a good camera with the ability to be able to play around with settings to let you experiment. The phone looks and feels luxurious (although not in the same league as the HTC One or the Iphone). The battery life is ver good and certainly the best of any similar size phone.

The downsides to this phone is some of the bloatware that comes with the phone, which can get a little annoying. The user interface is not as crisp as the HTC or as slimline as the Nexus 5. I can testify that it doesn't withstand falls very well - it fell from my lap about a foot from the ground. Tthe screen cracked and made the phone unusable and resulted in a very expensive repair job. A case is mandatory!

Having said that, the phone is very good. At the price that it is at, it is certainly on a par if not better than it's rivals. It's strengths lie in the battery, the great screen quality and size and the quality of the camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best phone I've ever had, 5 Aug 2014
After having a Motorola Moto G for 6 months I decided to upgrade to the LG G2. The G2 arrived on the expected delivery date and was well packaged. Inside the box comes the G2, a pair of earphones, a sim removal tool, a USB charger/cable and a manual for the phone.

The screen of the G2, a 1080p IPS LCD display spanning 5.2" is the best screen I have ever seen on a smartphone hands down. Side bezels are extremely small and rounded off which gives it a nice feel. The screen occupies a little over 75% of the the front of the phone and although being a 5.2" display it feels no bigger than a galaxy s4 which has a 5" display.

The unique button placement takes a little while to get used to but I now prefer it to the traditional side placement of a moto g or galaxy s counterpart.

The camera is superb, at 13 mp the detail is extraordinary paired with the 1920 x 1080 screen. It's autofocus is quick and snappy and the HDR mode is very useful as well as the beauty shot feature which is also excellent.

The phones internals are excellent a 2.3 ghz quad core snapdragon processor coupled with 2gb ram means the phone is slick and easy to use, no waiting around with more than enough power to play with.

LG's software is actually really useful especially the IR blaster which allows you to setup a universal remote.

The storage is ok at 16 gb but 32 gb would be recommended because of the lack of an expansion slot.

Overall the phone is excellent and would highly recommend to anyone looking for an upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic phone at a very good price . Cannot fault it ., 17 Jan 2014
After two Samsung Galaxy S3 phones with the well publicised battery life problems returned by me . I decided to go with a phone that had been given the number one phone of 2013 by many publications . I must admit not a lover of most LG products (mainly their TVs) but this is an absolutely brilliant product . Ultra clear phone calls both ways and all the other things on this phone are top notch . If like me you have had enough of iPhones (too expensive) and Samsung's lack of dealing with their phone problems then at just over 400 this is a bargain . A person who uses mobile phones on a more regular basis than me will probably give a more detailed review . The display and all other features are brilliant .

5.0 out of 5 stars quality phone, 10 Feb 2014
Great phone with lost of apps built in. Super fast internet access. looks great, and has many features that can compete with any phone out there

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 27 Jan 2014
I had a Samsung Galaxy S3 before this and decided that I needed to change, I'm very impressed with this phone. The screen is beautiful and big without making the phone too bulky, and the software is snappy and slick. I definitely recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply superb!, 13 Jan 2014
Great battery stamina, fast and compact for its size.

Previous phone was Note 1 and I wish I had bought this G2 earlier.